Author Topic: What's the point, Restaurant Depot?  (Read 22394 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: What's the point, Restaurant Depot?
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
Ryan, since you and I are not members, we do not really know how good or bad their service is, do we?  I have never heard a client of theirs bad mouth them, and the 2 times I visited it was packed, so they are doing something right.

Face it you had an emotional response, and are basing your opinion on them solely on that.  I did too, to a certain extent, but we should not let it cloud our business judgment about using them if it were possible and profitable.

I know more than you think I know. First of all, I once worked at a place that got cheese from RD. The cheese was moldy. A lot of it was moldy. Now, Iím a patient, forgiving kind of person, but sometimes you just donít get a second chance to make a first impression. Furthermore, you don't have to have an account to go into the place and scope it out. (Or at least I didn't need one when I went in and looked around.) You don't have to be a genius to figure out what this place offers and what it doesn't offer, in terms of both product and service. Also, I'm pretty sure they don't deliver, and that alone is reason enough not to buy from them if I'm busy running a pizzeria.

No, it wasn't an emotional response. If I had a pizzeria or any other kind of restaurant, RD certainly would not be one of my suppliers. They have nothing I want, even though they probably carry a few items I could use.

In my area RD offers much more than GFS and at a better price.

Are you talking about GFS or GFS Marketplace? Because what you see at the Marketplace constitutes about 5 percent of what they actually offer. And if you want to buy any of the other 95 percent, they will order it for you and sell it to you, just because youíre you.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 11:28:54 PM »
I buy cheese with mold on it all the time, and what's more pay Top Dollar for it.  At any rate, they do require a business license here, and they do not let you enter the store without a registration, so you may know more than I do.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
I buy cheese with mold on it all the time, and what's more pay Top Dollar for it.  At any rate, they do require a business license here, and they do not let you enter the store without a registration, so you may know more than I do.

This wasn't that kind of cheese. ;)

I think they asked me for a member card when I went in, but when I told them I just wanted to look around, they let me. It was several years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »
Ryan

My local store is GFS Marketplace.  I know I can check their computer to see if they carry an item not in the store but available from their distribution center.  It's more fun to walk around RD and see all the goodies; I suppose you could call it food for thought. :-D

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 12:09:50 AM »
What's the point of this entire thread?? I'm still trying to figure that out.

It comes across as a thread from a disgruntled/unhappy ex-employee, if you ask me.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:38 AM »
This wasn't that kind of cheese. ;)

I think they asked me for a member card when I went in, but when I told them I just wanted to look around, they let me. It was several years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy.

Hiya Ryan,

I just wanted to ask,did you make this topic based on the quote above,that this visit happened a few years ago?

Or did you make this upon something recent?

I am not out to attack your post or anything...its just you made a topic,then responded again later that it has been some time since you were there.

That said...I understand where you are coming from...but at the same time,you gotta meet the criteria and standards the store may have before you can buy from them.

I will give you an example...I worked in the auto business for many years.One of the dealerships I used to work at,would buy cars at the auto auction to resell.You needed a dealers business and tax info to go in there and bid or buy cars from there.The general public was not allowed there.

That said,there were also other to the General Public auto auctions,that anyone could go and buy from.You did not need a tax ID or business license to buy.

If the Restaurant Depot requires some tax or business info,then thats fine,get one.That is type of store it is set up to be.Even food suppliers,most of them,wont deliver to your door unless you are a business or have a tax ID or something.

I really do not see the problem here.It almost sounds like you are asking them to change their policy based on what you think it should be at.

I admit it would be nice if all of us could buy the same things,at the same prices,that business can get them at.Running a Business,economics 101,profits is key.If a business cant make a profit,it fails.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
Hey Bill,

I've been drafting a response to your post, but my brain is fizzing out right now, and I don't think the draft says what I'm trying to say. I'll probably post it early tomorrow afternoon.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
Buying food for a business is an entirely different affair from going to the grocery store to get consumer goods for meals. The scale, the volume, the type, the variety, etc. of product is at the polar opposite than even a store like BJ's (which is the consumer equivalent of RD). RD sells to businesses, and the entire operation is set up to cater to businesses looking for food supply on the same scale/level as they would from a distributor - but without the middle man. It is a fantastic model, and a great money maker.

There are many other businesses who do not deal with the public/consumer base as well. RD, like those other businesses, are not at all interested in consumers - that space is already crowded with plenty of other players.

John

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 12:48:48 PM »
I've spent a lot of time composing a reply to several of the previous posts, but I've decided not to post it because there's really no point. Y'all have made up your minds, even though you haven't given it any real thought. If Restaurant Depot wants to limit their sales potential and turn off prospective wholesale clients, I don't care. Like I said, they need me infinitely more than I need them, but their stupid exclusive policy has already blown it forever with me. If they're smart, someone from their company is scouring the internet right now, precisely to find this thread and others like it so they can better understand who constitutes their market and what their market wants from them.

If anything, this thread has shown that there are a lot of people who want to buy what RD offers, without asking them to break up the quantity. But RD refuses to sell it. Good for them.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »

Does an individual spending $50 deserve the same prices and service as a restaurant that spends $1,000 per day..day after day ?
The public comes complete with coupons, babies, theft, complaints, slip and falls, requests for breaking everything into smaller quantities.... and an attitude.
I applaud their business model.
Why stop at RD ?
There is a whole world of wholesale distributors that sell everything from shoes to diamonds....and they all exclude the public.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 01:22:10 PM »
There is a whole world of wholesale distributors that sell everything from shoes to diamonds....and they all exclude the public.

No, they don't.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »
If Restaurant Depot wants to limit their sales potential and turn off prospective wholesale clients, I don't care.

I am sure they haven't turned anyone off from this site or anywhere else because of this thread you started. Sorry to break it to you but RD has been talked about way before you joined here and everything was positive.

Like I said, they need me infinitely more than I need them, but their stupid exclusive policy has already blown it forever with me.

I doubt they need you personally, something as trivial as this wont hurt them in anyway. Why aren't you talking about Costco, BJ's, Sams Club and the whole lot of other places where you can't go in and buy stuff without a membership. And those places you have to pay for one.

You obviously have some other issue with them and it has nothing to do with them letting members only shop there. If you want to go somewhere else and buy the same product for more money then go right ahead no one is stopping you. Your own emotions are going to hold you back.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:46:32 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
I've been to RD twice.  They gave me a 'day pass' both times, no questions asked.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »
Not really totally on topic here, but if you're in the Hudson Valley area of NY state, Ginsberg Restaurant Supply in Hudson, NY operates a cash n carry store where the public is welcome. I buy canned tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on a regular bases, and they also sell pizza screens and cooking pans. Prices for the most part are very reasonable, however some products may or may not always be available.

Offline dms

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 03:20:21 PM »
No, they don't.

Sure they do.  Lots of wholesale suppliers, in lots of industries, won't even think about talking to you unless you're worth their effort.  They want a hell of a lot more verification of that than what RD does.  Bank references, trade references, phone book advertising, pictures of your store front.  RD just want some pieces of paper that cover their tax liability, which cost less than a hundred bucks in any US state.  They don't care if you've been in business for at least a year, whether you've got five trade references that you did 100K in purchases from, that you've got a yellow pages advert, that you've got at least 5,000 cars driving past your store front every day.  (Those are all things I've seen as real requirements to deal with a supplier, by the way.  )

Dealing with consumers is expensive.  They're uneducated:  They don't know what they want, nor even what there is to want, so they take time to deal with.  They don't spend much money.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
I love The Resturant Depot ! as mentioned a great business model. But I am worn out here for now on this thread. Get a business registration so you can go there and stop barking about it. It took me 10 minutes. Its fredom of choice andthey choose not to sell to the public. Its enough caos in there most days with ut the people like me getting some spinach  a few scallops, and a bag of all trumps!  because I was just going by.  ;D
Lets Talk about Home Depot now They sell to contractors (business) and Home owners (Consumers) the people  go in and but the light bulb save $.20  and are happy.  Not a perishable , Volume,  everyday purchaser. but if they only sold to contractors it would not work for them  its a different business and some contractors get a better price than the consumer (me) there OOH.
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2010, 12:29:01 AM »
I've spent a lot of time composing a reply to several of the previous posts, but I've decided not to post it because there's really no point. Y'all have made up your minds, even though you haven't given it any real thought. If Restaurant Depot wants to limit their sales potential and turn off prospective wholesale clients, I don't care. Like I said, they need me infinitely more than I need them, but their stupid exclusive policy has already blown it forever with me. If they're smart, someone from their company is scouring the internet right now, precisely to find this thread and others like it so they can better understand who constitutes their market and what their market wants from them.

If anything, this thread has shown that there are a lot of people who want to buy what RD offers, without asking them to break up the quantity. But RD refuses to sell it. Good for them.

Ryan,Im sure as you know,alot of us DO understand what you are saying and coming from.That aside,we also know that certain types of stores are set up to market towards a specific type of customer.
RD is set up in a way to allow business owners to come shop and reap benefits on savings in bulk orders the general public would not be buying.

I see people bashing walmart all the time online,yet walmart stores makes enough business,that those that do not like walmart,would never hurt their long term profits by not shopping there.So they wont care about that.

It is a sad truth,if a company sets up and makes money,and keeps doing so,a few small minority that does not agree with their practice, is not going to scare them nor worry them.They are going to stay in Business no matter how much you may boycott them or get 10,000 signatures against them to suit your cause,whether it feels/may be ethically/economically, right or wrong.

There is also an old saying if you want to benefit or change things...."If you can't beat them,join them."
 :)
-Bill

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
Perhaps you donít understand what I've been saying because you assume my stance is based on something personal or emotional, as has been stated more than once. Apparently people here think I want Restaurant Depot to change their policy to suit my needs, which is the farthest thing from the truth. In reality, I donít care if they change their policy because their policy will never affect me.

Most of you seem to be looking at this from the perspective of an awestruck consumer who has only recently seen the inside of a foodservice warehouse for the first time, which apparently makes you assume Iím looking at it from the same perspective. But Iím not. One of the ways Iím looking at it is through the eyes of a prospective small business owner who will someday have to choose suppliers, based on things that matter in business, like which prospective supplier has already treated me as if my business matters to them, even if Iíve never bought anything from them. Another way Iím looking at it is through the eyes of a successful small business owner who has no time to look at the pretty warehouse or drive to the pretty warehouse, or shop at the pretty warehouse, or check out with the cashier, or load my purchase into my non-refrigerated automobile, or drive back from the pretty warehouse with a dangerously loaded, non-refrigerated automobile, or unload and stock my purchase. Iím also looking at it from the perspective of someone at the top of the distribution company; someone who wants the company to be as profitable as possible. Not just profitable today but also profitable in the long run.

The comparisons to diamonds and auto auctions are apples and oranges. If some regular Joe approached wholesalers, serious about buying the standard quantity of either diamonds or cars, the wholesaler would sell to him because itís not about who he is; itís about whether he can or will buy the quantity thatís for sale. The main (or only) reason it doesnít happen is because there arenít many consumers who have the resources or the desire to buy a stash of diamonds or a couple truckloads of used cars. No one sells to a market that doesnít exist.

If I expected RD to rip open a 50-pound bag of flour and sell me 10 pounds of it, that would make your arguments valid, and everything Iíve said in this thread would be total BS. But thatís not what Iíve said.

RD and Walmart will both be gone in the not-too-distant future, and itís not because I donít shop there. Every day, people come to realize that the hassles of shopping at Walmart outweigh the money they might save by shopping there. The novelty is wearing off, and it will continue to wear off until there is no more Walmart. The same thing will happen with RD. Their top executives already know it will happen, but theyíre milking it for every cent they can make before it finally does happen.

On the other end of the spectrum, In-N-Out Burger will be around for years to come, through good economies and bad, although on a smaller scale than Walmart or Restaurant Depot. Why? Because In-N-Out Burgerís business model functions in harmony with the law of supply and demand.

Look, I really donít care how RD does business. I simply asked a few questions, first of all because I suddenly realized RDís policies seemed stupid to me, but also because I had recently wasted some of my valuable time looking through their web site for an answer to a question Iím sure they get asked more than enough to justify publishing it on the front page of their web site. I asked the questions because Iím always trying to figure out how things work, independent of the societal and economic rules our civilization has created, which operate on premises contrary to all the rules of nature. I asked the questions because the quality of posts on these boards impressed me enough to suspect I might receive some quality feedback.

Unfortunately, my questions still have not been answered. Or maybe I already knew the answers, but I just wanted to find out if anyone had any good hypotheses that I may not have already considered, or at least explanations that would make me think a little deeper than I already had. But basically all the responses so far have been in line with the ďcommon knowledgeĒ that has essentially destroyed the global economy.

If no one wants to respond with a well-thought-out response to the questions I asked, Iíd like the thread to die. But if people are going to keep replying with the assumption that I meant something I didnít mean, Iíll probably keep responding.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:28:14 PM by AimlessRyan »

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
"like which prospective supplier has already treated me as if my business matters to them"

The first lesson you learn in sales is to qualify your customers.  To them, you are NOT a prospective customer, as you do not meet their qualifying criteria.  That part I understand.  I didn't understand that criteria when we began discussing it, but the tax issue alone is enough for them to strictly limit their clientele to existing retail business owners/employees.  Their target market is small Mom and Pop restaurants to whom the food service giants can't/do not have an interest in servicing..

Offline dms

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
"like which prospective supplier has already treated me as if my business matters to them"

The first lesson you learn in sales is to qualify your customers.  To them, you are NOT a prospective customer, as you do not meet their qualifying criteria.  That part I understand.  I didn't understand that criteria when we began discussing it, but the tax issue alone is enough for them to strictly limit their clientele to existing retail business owners/employees.  Their target market is small Mom and Pop restaurants to whom the food service giants can't/do not have an interest in servicing..

Oh, they deal with big places, too.  In some markets, they're eating Sysco's and USF's lunch.  And dinner.  And breakfast.  RD avoid a bunch of costs, and pass much of the savings on to their clientele.  First, they don't pay anyone a sales commission.  Second, they don't give anyone terms, so no billilng, no bad debt.  Third, they don't deliver.   (In some markets, they've hired third parties to deliver, but they're charging extra for that, and it's probably a rate that covers their costs.)

pizzapan