Author Topic: CPK Roaster Garlic Chicken Recipe?  (Read 8975 times)

Offline AustinSpartan

CPK Roaster Garlic Chicken Recipe?
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:15:13 PM »
Wondering if anyone has the recipe for the California Pizza Kitchen Roasted Garlic Chicken pizza? I've got the dough prepared per a recipe from Pete, and letting that sit in the fridge. Now I am looking for the rest of the ingredients to pull together the sauce, and the proper amounts of cheese.

Thanks

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: CPK Roaster Garlic Chicken Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
AustinSpartan.

The recipe for the CPK Roasted Garlic Chicken pizza does not appear in the version of the CPK Cookbook I have, but if you look at what is used on that pizza, at http://www.cpk.com/menu/pdfs/menu.pdf, you will see that the pizza features "Roasted garlic, grilled chicken, Mozzarella cheese, mild onions and fresh Italian parsley with a white wine and garlic-shallot butter sauce". If I were you, I think I would use a related recipe for the CPK Rosemary Chicken and Potato Pizza, at http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/pizza/rosemary-chicken-potato1.html, but leave out the potatoes, most or all of the rosemary, and the oregano, and add roasted garlic cloves and onions (with more onions by weight than roasted garlic). My guess is that CPK uses common ingredients for the two types of pizzas since it makes good business sense to do so. When I have made the Garlic-Shallot Butter with Lemon sauce for the CPK potato/rosemary chicken recipe, I used chardonnay wine, but if you look at the frozen version of the Roasted Garlic Chicken Pizza, at http://frozen.cpk.com/CT-garlic-chicken.html, you will see that chablis is used for the frozen version. It's up to you to decide on which wine to use, but either should work quite well. If you strip away all of the sub-components of the frozen version of the Roasted Garlic Pizza, I believe you end up with something like the following:

WHEAT FLOUR, SHREDDED LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE, WATER, COOKED WHITE CHICKEN MEAT, BORDELAISE BUTTER SAUCE, ONIONS, ROASTED GARLIC (GARLIC, CANOLA OIL), SUGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEAT GLUTEN, SALT, YEAST.

I believe that the wheat flour, water, sugar, soybean oil, wheat gluten, salt (part of the total) and yeast are the dough ingredients. So, the rest of the ingredients are what you should be trying to recreate. If the frozen version of the pizza tracks the ones sold in the CPK stores, then you could use the same pecking order of ingredients by weight for the cheese, chicken, Bordelaise sauce, onions and roasted garlic.

However you decide to proceed, please let us know how things turn out, including photos if possible.

Peter

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I read through the rosemary potato recipe and figured that would work, but glad you confirmed my thoughts.

Here's some photos from the pizza making this evening:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
AustinSpartan,

Those pizzas look good. How did they taste? Did you use a Bordelaise sauce for either or both of the pizzas?

Peter

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
Pete,

Both pizzas turned out really good.

My fiancee was a big fan of the crust, as it was light and airy and had a nice crunch to it. Not overly sweet and a nice brown on the bottom. This dough was a lot easier for me to work with, and although the pizzas weren't perfectly round, this was about as close as I've ever gotten. I had to use a cutting board instead of a peel (the peel was too small), so that made the transfer a lot more difficult with 1.5" of drop for the pizza onto the stone. Ended up with a little lipped over on the roast garlic chicken, but not too bad. I did press them each a little thin in the center, and when the ingredients released their moisture, it all seemed to pool here. I just need a lot more practice stretching the skins equally and creating a good round crust.

The Margherita pizza (started off that way) had fresh roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella & parmesan (shredded in a food processor), fresh sweet basil and some olive oil. When it was all said and done, there was some chicken, mushrooms and some of the roasted garlic as well.

For the roast garlic chicken, I did go with an improvised bordelaise sauce, based on that provided in the rosemary chicken recipe. The flavor was very close to that of CPK, but just not quite the bite. I'd imagine it was probably the wine, as I had to settle on some sauviogn blanc that I use for cooking, I was out of all other white wine. I also think that the flavor could have been helped a little more by fresh thyme. I had ground thyme, and didn't want to overdo it, so I went a little light, and didn't get quite the taste from the thyme that I was looking for. The sauce was topped with the same above cheese mix, some leftover grilled chicken (rubbed with olive oil and italian herbs), and some white onion that I sliced relatively thin.

I'm already looking forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow, and ready to make some more pizzas! This forum has been a great help, and with all of my new kitchen toys that I received for Christmas, I'm well equipped.. aside from the undersized peel, and single stone (2nd stone busted in the grill). :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »
AustinSpartan,

I forgot to ask you but did you use the CPK dough recipe? If not, which recipe did you use?

With experience and with the right equipment you should get better at making round pizzas if you prefer that to the "rustic" look you achieved. The CPK pizzas should be almost perfectly round since I believe that they use dough presses to form the skins.

Peter

Offline AustinSpartan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »
AustinSpartan,

I forgot to ask you but did you use the CPK dough recipe? If not, which recipe did you use?

With experience and with the right equipment you should get better at making round pizzas if you prefer that to the "rustic" look you achieved. The CPK pizzas should be almost perfectly round since I believe that they use dough presses to form the skins.

Peter

I used the recipe from the CPK thread that you converted over to baker's percentages. This included 2 hours of rise time at room temp after mixing, then 15 hours of cold fermentation, another 2 hours of rise time at room temperature, and then cooked on the pizza stone at 550'.

Offline sonofapizza

• Gluten for Punishment...
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 02:25:06 PM »
That slice in the pic looks really good!!

pizzapan