Author Topic: Buffalo Chicken Pizza  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Vindii

Buffalo Chicken Pizza
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
I saw this in the thread here and cant find it now to link to.  This is a NY style crust with 1/2 franks hot sauce and 1/2 ranch dressing, fresh mozzarella cheese, precooked chicken, and grated blue cheese.  Cooked at 625 for 6 minutes.  Added sliced celery after cooking.  Came out great. I will certainly make this again.

Edit: I found the link that that gave me this idea on my laptop.  Probably didnt come up in my search because it was in the California forum.  Here it is.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11680.0.html
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:12:06 AM by Vindii »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Buffalo Chicken Pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »
Looking good Vindii. Nice crumb shot as well.  I have made this before and it is YUM-ME!!  Athough I left out the blue cheese and celery.   Substituted leftover smoked chicken and it was awesome.  I also added roasted garlic and diced green onion on mine.

For those who haven't made it, the ranch balances out the hot sauce very nicely so that it doesn't taste hot at all like you would think.   

Chau

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »
I saw this in the thread here and cant find it now to link to.  This is a NY style crust with 1/2 franks hot sauce and 1/2 ranch dressing, fresh mozzarella cheese, precooked chicken, and grated blue cheese.  Cooked at 625 for 6 minutes.  Added sliced celery after cooking.  Came out great. I will certainly make this again.

Vindii,

Your Buffalo Chicken Pizza does look yummy!  :)  That is one of my favorite pies. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline boudie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:56:06 AM »
I love this pizza.  Nice work!

When I do mine I use feta cheese and caramelized onions; sometimes I also add some fresh rosemary.  I sprinkle the dry "Ranch Dressing" mix on it instead of using the liquid dressing.  It helps with the moisture content and lets you add a little more hot sauce, yet at the same time you get the ranch flavor and balance.

I am firing up the WFO tomorrow.  I will have to put this one on the list.

Bert

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:04 AM »
Vindii,

You have another hit on your hands. Keep 'em coming. Like Norma, buffalo chicken pizza is also one of my favorites.

For other variations of that style, see Reply 644 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg55299.html#msg55299, Replies 39 and 40 starting at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10213.msg89883.html#msg89883 and Reply 128 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg92094.html#msg92094.

Peter

Offline Vindii

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:52 AM »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  I still surprised at how good this pie was.  Definably will be making this again.  Maybe marinating the chicken in the hot sauce overnight to add a little more flavor to it.

And if anyone has not tried adding the celery after cooking try it.  It really added to the flavor of the pie.  The little crunch it adds is nice too.  I didnt think I would like the celery but after eating over half of this pie (after I already ate a small dinner) I would not make it without celery.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
Vindii,

There are some pizza operators who do use celery on their buffalo chicken pizzas. Apparently that evolved out of the practice of serving celery with buffalo chicken wings.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »
One of my favorite pizzas also. I prefer to poach my chicken for moistness, allow to cool, shred and mix with habanero sauce until coated. I'm making one for Monday night and I will try the sliced celery. Thanks for the tip. I'll get some pics posted.
Don

Offline Guts

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »
looks like good eats to me, also like the sauce you used. good job.
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:59:39 AM »
I have decided I need to work on getting the heat up in the chicken, too mild when blended with the ranch dressing. An overnight marinade with habanero sauce, Tabasco sauce, and minced habanero peppers then quick fried will be the next step.

Offline Vindii

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
I have decided I need to work on getting the heat up in the chicken, too mild when blended with the ranch dressing. An overnight marinade with habanero sauce, Tabasco sauce, and minced habanero peppers then quick fried will be the next step.

Great looking pie.  I agree with your comment that it is too mild.  You can also mix more franks and less ranch to spice it up.  A 50/50 mix is pretty mild.  75 franks to 25 ranch would give it more kick.  I will also be marinating the chicken next time also.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 10:46:39 AM by Vindii »

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
In my part of Mexico Frank's is not available. I have been using Habanero sauce, quite a different taste than a cayenne pepper based sauce. I use fresh Habaneros when I make my Kim Chi. Very hot. I did find some Beano's brand yesterday at Wal Mart which is a cayenne pepper sauce also. Wednesday night will be hot chicken pizza night so we shall see. I put cheese(less next time) down first followed by chicken(next time more chicken) and onion, then I squeeze the ranch from a ketchup bottle fairly lightly. Most likely my pizza would be too spicy hot for some people. >:D
Until Wednesday then, Don

Great looking pie.  I agree with your comment that it is too milf.  You can also mix more franks and less ranch to spice it up.  A 50/50 mix is pretty mild.  75 franks to 25 ranch would give it more kick.  I will also be marinating the chicken next time also.

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
Well, alrighty then. Tonight's buffalo chicken pizza. Best ever, don't think I can top this.
Don

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 10:40:58 PM »
Nice looking pie Don.  Good looking crumb too!  What type of flour did you use for this one?

Chau

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »
Muy rica pizza, Don! :)

How was the taste?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
Well, alrighty then. Tonight's buffalo chicken pizza. Best ever, don't think I can top this.
Don

Don,

I agree, that is a nice looking pizza!   :)  With your hot Buffalo Chicken pizza, I think you have started a new trend.   ;D  I like hot things and really would have liked to try your Buffalo Chicken pizza!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 12:36:46 PM »
Thanks Chau, It's an AP from my baker friend. Fairly ordinary all purpose Mexican flour. It's a 60% hydration autolyse stretched and folded three time dough with a three day cold ferment. The two day was equal in most respects.
Don

Nice looking pie Don.  Good looking crumb too!  What type of flour did you use for this one?

Chau

buceriasdon

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:49:13 PM »
Thanks Mike, The spiciest best tasting so far. I sliced habaneros and added them to the marinading chicken pieces overnight then quick fried briefly to get the heat level up. I did remove the habanero after frying. Now the habanero flavor and bite comes through better. I have come to the conclusion that the heat in chicken wings come from the skin, as I've never got skinless breast pieces as spicy hot. Perhaps something to do with the fat in the skin. Using breaded nuggets might be my next experiment.
Don

Muy rica pizza, Don! :)

How was the taste?

buceriasdon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:37 PM »
Thanks Norma, The biggest obstacle, at least to me, is getting the heat level close to what the chicken wings I make are. Last night I finally got a bit of the sweat on the forehead thing going. Ah....washed down with a cold beer. I'm happy.

Don,

I agree, that is a nice looking pizza!   :)  With your hot Buffalo Chicken pizza, I think you have started a new trend.   ;D  I like hot things and really would have liked to try your Buffalo Chicken pizza!

Norma

pizzapan