Author Topic: Pizza Raquel  (Read 195539 times)

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: Pizza Raquel
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:26 AM »
Terry,

I was having a little fun because I know that pftaylor likes the larger size pizzas with enough structure to accept a lot of toppings. Finding the right flour or blend of flours to achieve that end is one of the remaining challenges for pft.

Peter

Ohhhhh OK, so I'm not flattered. :(

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Pizza Raquel
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2009, 06:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words from all. It is much appreciated.

What’s my rank order? Easy question to answer...

Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
Seriously though. My preference for the four sets of photographs comes down to what Chris Bianco shared with me; “All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.”

Therefore, I no longer judge what I perceive the quality to be of another man’s pizza. Rather I look deeper into who is standing behind the pizza. That’s where huge differences are to be found. Either they care or don’t. I’ll support those who do and won’t if they don’t.

As an example, I believe each of the four crusts were made by pizza makers, like us, who care deeply for their craft. Doesn’t matter whether they are professionals or not. What matters is their attention to detail and caring. I can see in each one of the pizzas a tremendous amount of caring. They are clearly artisan in every way yet they are all different. Much like our pizzas here. They represent the best that the pizza maker can make which is good enough for me. I’d bet that if I sat down with the four fellows who crafted those pies that we would come away with an appreciation for each other’s passion.

I can also spot flaws in each one of the crust photographs much like I can spot flaws in my pizza. I have yet to make the perfect pizza and I doubt I ever will. I can proclaim, however, to craft pizzas which are consistently above my minimum bar of expectation.

My impression is most aspiring members here strive to make the best pizza they are capable of. The way they want to. I’d be willing to bet that if you gave twenty members the exact same ingredients and oven that no two would be exactly alike.

There is always an exception to the rule and in this case Pete-zza is perhaps the lone one. He seems to strive to make the best version of everyone else’s pizza. I have yet to see him attempt to make “his” best. I’m sure it would be a standard of excellence for sure. 

So for all the reasons above, I liked all four a great deal despite their imperfections. But I clearly prefer Raquel and Sophia rather than another man’s pizza.

www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
Ohhhhh OK, so I'm not flattered. :(

Terry,

No, I didn't mean that. I was looking for the best manifestation on the forum of the 18" NY style pizza that is capable of supporting a lot of toppings, and yours was the one that I felt best met the test.

Peter

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
I'm at a loss PFT?I can't bring myself to see Sophia second to anyone.Could Rafia be lurking in the distance? ;) A beauty from another place as yet unknown ....
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
David,
Bill/SFNM in the great Southwest might probably choose "Quelso" thereby tieing in the latina factor.

Others may want to choose "Soraq" since the Neapolitan influence clearly came first. Admittedly, a bit too harsh sounding for my tastes...

But in the true spirit of pure passion and Ancient Tradition, Classic Old World Technique for Modern Times I would lean toward "Souel."

www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline shango

« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I'll take a shot at this.

#3 (favorite) I'll give it an 8.  Clearly Neapolitan..Wide open crumb resembles the best of what I've had in Naples.  Little too charred perhaps?  Looks professional

#4 (2nd) gets a 7.5-gonna say this is from PFT's house too..only complaint; The cornicone is a little small.  That's Raquel style?

#1 (3rd)  uh, 5. Nice crumb-too brown and not charred-looks bready.  This is the style of (hmmm) wanna be Neapolitan? professional

#2 (last) 3.  I'm not really into this cracker style, (new haven?)  Looks like it came from Comet Ping Pong.  I think they forgot the leavening. Sadly, also a pro job. (hope I didn't make it)

I don't dare to guess the maker of any. 

That was a fun game.  How long until we get the answers?
:-[
Uh, I must reconsider my judging-a-book-by-it's-cover skills;  Gino Sorbillo makes one of the best pizza I have ever eaten, and the largest I have had in Naples.

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »
Terry,

No, I didn't mean that. I was looking for the best manifestation on the forum of the 18" NY style pizza that is capable of supporting a lot of toppings, and yours was the one that I felt best met the test.

Peter
I was just joking. ;D

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #748 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words from all. It is much appreciated.

What’s my rank order? Easy question to answer...

Wow, that Sophia Loren photo is amazing.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #749 on: February 19, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
Sophia Loren is the tip of an iceberg of beautiful Italian women.
See Fellini's 8 1/2 and his other films as well.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #750 on: February 28, 2009, 11:05:33 AM »
This is a great way to find the middle ground between a fast baked crust, and a cheese that tastes better with a slow melt.  There is a popular pizzeria NJ, and another one in Los Angeles that do it this way.   Unfortunately when I visited these two places the cheese on the outside of the big chunks still ended up with that cooked too fast (lack of) taste, while the center remained pretty much unmelted, not totally solving the problem, so you just have to be careful not to make the chunks too big.   Of course the best scenario is what I found in Naples where the cheese was put on the pizza in small to medium sized pieces, and they have access to mozzarella perfectly suited to the fast bakes.   

I put your quote in here Scott as this is somewhat related to the points you raised (and that the info originated in Pittsburgh ;)).I do not necessarily agree with all the comments however.The article was taken from the Chow Boards:

Why Does Cheese Get Rubbery when Melted in the Microwave?
By Roxanne Webber

Keep it creamy and soft by following a few simple tips
The microwave isn’t really the culprit when it comes to rubbery melted cheese, says Robert L. Wolke, professor emeritus of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh and author of What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained. “The cheese was simply heated too hot or too long.”
When the temperature is too high or cheese is heated too long, its protein molecules tighten, and water and fat are forced out. This results in rubbery, greasy melted cheese, says Wolke.

Though the microwave isn’t the main cause, it can make the problem worse, says Dr. John A. Lucey, an associate professor in the University of Wisconsin–Madison’s Department of Food Science. “In a normal oven, the air is hot, and this helps form a crust or skin to hold in [oil and water], but in a microwave the air in the unit is unaffected by the microwave process, so no crust forms.” If you microwave cheese under less power and for a shorter time, then “this kind of problem can be minimized,” he says.

Wolke adds that once cheese gets to the rubbery stage, there’s no going back, so it’s always best to melt cheese with low heat, regardless of the cooking method. He also suggests shredding or cutting up the cheese to increase the surface area, which makes it melt faster and reduces the need for prolonged cooking.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Raquel Review
« Reply #751 on: December 16, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »
Dr Bob and I had the pleasure of meeting Peter Taylor at his restaurant, Wood Fired Pizza, yesterday and biting Raquel.  She's good, very good.

The pizza was really outstanding.  We especially liked the mozzarella, closely followed by the delicate seasoning, fresh ingredients, and flavorful crust.  If you have been reading this thread, you know Mr. Taylor is a perfectionist, and frankly, you can taste it.

I read several Peter’s posts in preparation for the experience.  I knew before going that he insists on “absolute freshness” and grows Basil, Oregano, Arugula, Cilantro, and Mint.  Per the web site, he even makes his own Mozzarella”.   On the drive over, I was reminded of the Seinfeld “Soup Nazi” episode and imagined Kramer saying “You suffer for your pizza”.  Which brings me to the funny moment.

Peter is talking to our small group about his vision of the perfect pizza and offering some of the best examples world wide.  Then he acknowledged that everyone has a different opinion of the perfect pizza and that one usually judges according to how his pizza compares to a pizza that they remember fondly from the past.  As a patron was leaving, he overheard the Peter’s comment and added: “You know who makes a really good pizza?  That ABC franchise downtown.”  I know the place – think fresh nothing and cardboard everything.  I almost fell off my chair but wasn’t sure whether to laugh or duck and cover.  Peter took it all in stride.

I'm new to the forum and am humbled by the knowledgeable and helpful members of this group.  I found y’all because my neighbor, Dr Bob, is on recipe number 413 and he makes a darn good pie.  (Yep, he counts and keeps too.)  I’m better at the internet than I am making pie, so I went searching for help.  Thanks for all the great posts.