Author Topic: Pizza Raquel  (Read 215627 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Re: Pizza Raquel
« Reply #725 on: February 17, 2009, 02:00:58 PM »
tdeane,
The judges don't think you've won but it was creative.

sourdough girl,
Sounds like I shouldn't use the dough box any longer. Perhaps our resident chemist can weigh in here.

Red November,
What do you think?
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything Youíd Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #726 on: February 17, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »
tdeane,
The judges don't think you've won but it was creative.

Dang it!

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza Raquel and Wood Box
« Reply #727 on: February 17, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
I made a wooden box, but apparently it was not sufficiently sealed as the dough balls had a crust on them after a night in the refrigerator. Using the same recipe and procedure, the dough balls in the plastic container with a tight lid were just fine. How tight does the cover have to be?  How did you manage this?

bakerbill

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #728 on: February 17, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »
pftaylor and sourdough girl,

Ah yes, phenol and formaldehyde.  I know them too well.  Unreacted phenol will give you the effect of a disinfectant, something you don't want unless you were going for the dead microorganism version of Pizza Raquel.  Unreacted formaldehyde will present health problems in large enough quantities.  While I would definitely avoid using plywood for proofing boxes (unless you know the bonding agent is food safe), formaldehyde in such small quantities as a health hazard is mainly restricted to inhalation, not ingestion.  I do find it amusing that one would likely acquire more formaldehyde in their body from ingesting aspartame (about 10% by weight) than what you could trap in your dough balls from outgassing.  Formaldehyde is a natural byproduct of human metabolism, so it isn't going to be much of a threat if ingested in miniscule amounts.  Again though, I wouldn't have used plywood to be on the safe side.

- red.november

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #729 on: February 18, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
Hi pft,

This is my final reply to the competition.

a) Crust #1: This is Neopolitan style made by Salvo in Naples, Italy. Rank: First. Awesome soft crust, good bite, fresh tomato sauce and fresh ingredients.

b) Crust #2: This is New York style, possibly by Patsy's, NYC, USA. Rank: Fourth. Not my favourite.

c) Crust #3: This is Artisan style by Chris Bianco, Phoenix, Ar. USA. Rank: Second. Similar reasons as for crust #1. Almost as good as Salvo.

d) Crust #4: This is Raquel style (also Artisan) made by Pete taylor, Florida, USA. Rank: Third. Close behind Salvo and Bianco, similar reasons.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #730 on: February 18, 2009, 04:35:53 PM »
All the ballots are in...

The judges have read all responses and unfortunately no one correctly met all the requirements for winning the crust challenge. Some came close (Pizza Rustica, jeff v & shango), others not so close (Pete-zza & tdeane), some chose to respond privately, but hopefully all had fun.

Here are the correct answers:

Crust #1: Pizzeria Salvo, Professional Neapolitan Style, Naples Italy (the red tablecloth was a sure giveaway)

Crust #2: Pizzeria Sorbillo Gino, Professional Neapolitan Style, Naples Italy

Crust #3: Da Michele, Professional Neapolitan Style, Naples Italy

Crust #4:  Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente, Professional Neapolitan Style, Naples Italy

Surprised? I am. 

From the comments received, it goes to show that even professionals from the natal epicenter of pizza donít always make a consistent looking style anymore than us humble home pizza makers. Frankly, Iím not sure that these pies are all that far out of reach from us.

Looks like Iíll have to come up with another challenge for someone to win. Thanks for playing and here are the complete series of images revealed for all to see:
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #731 on: February 18, 2009, 04:36:58 PM »
Crusts 3 & 4:
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #732 on: February 18, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks Pete, That was fun thanks,
As you said very attainable here at home . Did you see how many (including me) thought that 1 or more of these was from your oven :D Says something for your Raquel!
Now that I have seen the final pic I change my preference to
#1 Sorbillo
#2 Salvo
#3 Da Michele
#4 Presidente.
Thanks again, waiting for the next Keep it local I have not been to Italy yet (someday!)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline David

• Whatís So Funny ĎBout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #733 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:49 PM »
Great fun PFT !It just goes to show how much of an impact the visual appearance has on our perceptions.I stand by my rankings for the visuals,but would probably change them on a side by side taste test.How long before we get aromatherapy via the forum Peter?  ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »
Pete,

Those dinky things ain't pizza. Give me a man's pizza anyday, like a juicy NY slice from an 18" pie like shown at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7561.msg65237.html#msg65237 or even a slice of one of Trin's masterpiece pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2167.msg19318.html#msg19318.

I'd feel the same way even if I got all of the answers right.

Peter

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #735 on: February 18, 2009, 10:01:48 PM »
Pete,

Those dinky things ain't pizza. Give me a man's pizza anyday, like a juicy NY slice from an 18" pie like shown at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7561.msg65237.html#msg65237 or even a slice of one of Trin's masterpiece pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2167.msg19318.html#msg19318.

I'd feel the same way even if I got all of the answers right.

Peter
I am flattered you called my pizza a man's pizza!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #736 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
I am flattered you called my pizza a man's pizza!

Terry,

I was having a little fun because I know that pftaylor likes the larger size pizzas with enough structure to accept a lot of toppings. Finding the right flour or blend of flours to achieve that end is one of the remaining challenges for pft.

Peter

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #737 on: February 18, 2009, 11:42:35 PM »
So,  now having the full picture set,  it would appear to me that the salvo pizza was cooked slower than some of the others pizzas with a bit less fermentation,  crumb structure is amazing and its cooked,  unlike the da michelle pizza.  It looks highly fermented extremely wet, weak and like it was cooked in an overfired oven.  The other two are in between these two.  PFT,  What do you think fair assessment?  and BTW I don't think we have gotten your order of preference on these pictures.  -marc

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #738 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:50 AM »
Allow me kindly to chime in for a moment...

PFT has been a pioneer on this board, has not been afraid to engage in new endeavors, has and still is providing us with perhaps very valuable information while being on a personal quest, trying to out-do himself! 

That's a tough task to take on, Pft!  :chef:

However, I digress.

All the crusts that were pictured looked great! But not one can compare to the Honoree, Madame Jo Raquel Tejada herself!

Shown at age 67...she's turning 69 this year!

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline s00da

« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:25 AM »
Allow me kindly to chime in for a moment...

PFT has been a pioneer on this board, has not been afraid to engage in new endeavors, has and still is providing us with perhaps very valuable information while being on a personal quest, trying to out-do himself! 

That's a tough task to take on, Pft!  :chef:

However, I digress.

All the crusts that were pictured looked great! But not one can compare to the Honoree, Madame Jo Raquel Tejada herself!

Shown at age 67...she's turning 69 this year!

Perfect fermentation and ripening I must say  ;D

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2009, 01:57:26 AM »
Terry,

I was having a little fun because I know that pftaylor likes the larger size pizzas with enough structure to accept a lot of toppings. Finding the right flour or blend of flours to achieve that end is one of the remaining challenges for pft.

Peter

Ohhhhh OK, so I'm not flattered. :(

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2009, 06:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words from all. It is much appreciated.

Whatís my rank order? Easy question to answer...

www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2009, 07:52:07 AM »
Seriously though. My preference for the four sets of photographs comes down to what Chris Bianco shared with me; ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē

Therefore, I no longer judge what I perceive the quality to be of another manís pizza. Rather I look deeper into who is standing behind the pizza. Thatís where huge differences are to be found. Either they care or donít. Iíll support those who do and wonít if they donít.

As an example, I believe each of the four crusts were made by pizza makers, like us, who care deeply for their craft. Doesnít matter whether they are professionals or not. What matters is their attention to detail and caring. I can see in each one of the pizzas a tremendous amount of caring. They are clearly artisan in every way yet they are all different. Much like our pizzas here. They represent the best that the pizza maker can make which is good enough for me. Iíd bet that if I sat down with the four fellows who crafted those pies that we would come away with an appreciation for each otherís passion.

I can also spot flaws in each one of the crust photographs much like I can spot flaws in my pizza. I have yet to make the perfect pizza and I doubt I ever will. I can proclaim, however, to craft pizzas which are consistently above my minimum bar of expectation.

My impression is most aspiring members here strive to make the best pizza they are capable of. The way they want to. Iíd be willing to bet that if you gave twenty members the exact same ingredients and oven that no two would be exactly alike.

There is always an exception to the rule and in this case Pete-zza is perhaps the lone one. He seems to strive to make the best version of everyone elseís pizza. I have yet to see him attempt to make ďhisĒ best. Iím sure it would be a standard of excellence for sure. 

So for all the reasons above, I liked all four a great deal despite their imperfections. But I clearly prefer Raquel and Sophia rather than another manís pizza.

www.wood-firedpizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
Ohhhhh OK, so I'm not flattered. :(

Terry,

No, I didn't mean that. I was looking for the best manifestation on the forum of the 18" NY style pizza that is capable of supporting a lot of toppings, and yours was the one that I felt best met the test.

Peter

Offline David

• Whatís So Funny ĎBout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
I'm at a loss PFT?I can't bring myself to see Sophia second to anyone.Could Rafia be lurking in the distance? ;) A beauty from another place as yet unknown ....
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pftaylor

Pizza Raquel
« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2009, 09:38:26 AM »
David,
Bill/SFNM in the great Southwest might probably choose "Quelso" thereby tieing in the latina factor.

Others may want to choose "Soraq" since the Neapolitan influence clearly came first. Admittedly, a bit too harsh sounding for my tastes...

But in the true spirit of pure passion and Ancient Tradition, Classic Old World Technique for Modern Times I would lean toward "Souel."

www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline shango

« Reply #746 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I'll take a shot at this.

#3 (favorite) I'll give it an 8.  Clearly Neapolitan..Wide open crumb resembles the best of what I've had in Naples.  Little too charred perhaps?  Looks professional

#4 (2nd) gets a 7.5-gonna say this is from PFT's house too..only complaint; The cornicone is a little small.  That's Raquel style?

#1 (3rd)  uh, 5. Nice crumb-too brown and not charred-looks bready.  This is the style of (hmmm) wanna be Neapolitan? professional

#2 (last) 3.  I'm not really into this cracker style, (new haven?)  Looks like it came from Comet Ping Pong.  I think they forgot the leavening. Sadly, also a pro job. (hope I didn't make it)

I don't dare to guess the maker of any. 

That was a fun game.  How long until we get the answers?
:-[
Uh, I must reconsider my judging-a-book-by-it's-cover skills;  Gino Sorbillo makes one of the best pizza I have ever eaten, and the largest I have had in Naples.

pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #747 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:35 PM »
Terry,

No, I didn't mean that. I was looking for the best manifestation on the forum of the 18" NY style pizza that is capable of supporting a lot of toppings, and yours was the one that I felt best met the test.

Peter
I was just joking. ;D

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #748 on: February 19, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the kind words from all. It is much appreciated.

Whatís my rank order? Easy question to answer...

Wow, that Sophia Loren photo is amazing.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #749 on: February 19, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
Sophia Loren is the tip of an iceberg of beautiful Italian women.
See Fellini's 8 1/2 and his other films as well.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

pizzapan