Author Topic: How are +1k lb mixers safely moved and transported?  (Read 1067 times)

Offline koloa101

How are +1k lb mixers safely moved and transported?
« on: December 17, 2010, 09:01:06 AM »
Greetings all,
I am shopping for used mixers and was wondering how can someone safely move and transport a +1k lb mixer that has small ground clearance?

I was thinking that a manual stacker would be needed to lift a mixer to place on a pallet. After it is tied and secured, the manual stacker is then jacked up to the height of the truck's floor bed. This sounds risky if the mixer is top heavy. Maybe another option would be to use a floor crane and load the mixer on the side of the trailer bed?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How are +1k lb mixers safely moved and transported?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:59:18 AM »
koloa101,

In parallel with your post here, I suggest that you go over to the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6 and search the archives. The type of question you posed is one that I have seen on several occasions on that forum. The PMQTT search feature isn't the best and easiest to navigate, so if you run into problems using it, you might want to register and post your question directly to the membership there, with as much detail on the mixers your are investigating as possible to make it easier for members to respond.

Peter

Offline dms

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »
Fork lift, or a truck with a lift gate.  Or a building with a freight dock, so you don't need to lift it in the first place.  Same as you deal with any other piece of freight.  Mixers aren't that top heavy.

Offline koloa101

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
Thanks, I was able to find a thread here

http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5562&p=34074&hilit=moving+a+mixer+transporting+mixer#p34074

koloa101,

In parallel with your post here, I suggest that you go over to the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6 and search the archives. The type of question you posed is one that I have seen on several occasions on that forum. The PMQTT search feature isn't the best and easiest to navigate, so if you run into problems using it, you might want to register and post your question directly to the membership there, with as much detail on the mixers your are investigating as possible to make it easier for members to respond.

Peter

Offline koloa101

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
Most pizzerias do not have a freight dock and forklifts are not readily and easily available. Planetary mixers are top heavy. If you read the thread posted above at PMQ, top heaviness is a common comment. I remember helping a friend move his 80q hobart planetary mixer. Once the mixer had a little tilt, things became dangerous.

Fork lift, or a truck with a lift gate.  Or a building with a freight dock, so you don't need to lift it in the first place.  Same as you deal with any other piece of freight.  Mixers aren't that top heavy.

Offline jets147

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »
my store has a 1k pound hobart mixer. it is heavy is f..k. but u and three or four guys can move it to where u want it. beleive me it's possible i have done it.