Author Topic: "Blais Off" Premiers Tonight With Pizza Episode  (Read 2778 times)

Offline IndyRob

"Blais Off" Premiers Tonight With Pizza Episode
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:59:57 AM »
Top Chef fans will know Richard Blais as one of the enthusiastic molecular gastronomists/modern cuisine contestants.  He's back on Top Chef: All Stars.  But he also has a new show called Blaise Off which premiers tonight on The Science Channel (10 PM ET).  And the first episode is about Pizza.  My program guide tells me...

"Radical ideas for pizza bring the host to New York City in the opener of the series following culinary modernist Richard Blais as he attempts to reengineer traditional dishes with help from science and technology."

Trailer here: http://science.discovery.com/videos/blais-off-blais-off-sneak-peek.html

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
Re: "Blais Off" Premiers Tonight With Pizza Episode
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 01:51:47 PM »
I'm on it...Thanks. 

Isn't Richard Blais the result of the frenzied coupling of Alton Brown and the impalpable Sue Veed?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
A couple of nights ago, I watched the Blais pizza segment again for the first ten minutes or so. What I was most interested in was to see how Patsy's makes its dough. From what I could tell, Patsy's uses high-gluten flour from Sassone's, which is a grocer in the Bronx and apparently also a supplier to Patsy's of the tomatoes for the pizza sauce, fresh yeast, water, and oil. I don't specifically recall seeing the salt added but it may have been in with the water. There was some discussion of wild yeast but it wasn't entirely clear to me what role it played, or maybe I missed the connection. Apparently the dough is fermented overnight, in which case wild yeast might be a factor, especially if the dough is fermented at room temperature, but even in that case the fresh yeast would overwhelm the wild yeast.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:12:17 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 01:10:56 PM »
I missed it.  Hopefully, it will run again.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 01:20:46 PM »
I missed it.  Hopefully, it will run again.

Dan,

I went to the Science Channel website and found the TV schedule for the Blais pizza segment, at http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=48.16350.130737.41024.x. I then used the Remind Me feature so that the website would email me to remind me to watch the segment. The reminder email comes a day before the re-run so you still have to do some remembering.

Peter

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
I missed the first 5 or so minutes but I thought it was an interesting show.  Curious to see others reaction to how he "hacked" the oven to bake his pie :)

Offline plainslicer

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
I watched this a few weeks ago. I was also mostly curious about the dough, specifically the sourdough issue, having read the thread here about it. From the way they described it, it sounded like they used a dried sourdough culture while making the dough. The shots of the yeast showed something that didn't look quite like commercial yeast, dry or otherwise, at least not the stuff available at a retail level. I could have sworn they said something about making it themselves, and Richard said something to the effect of 'so it's kind of like a mother dough' as the guy from Patsy's described it.

Is that even possible? I suppose with a cold-fermented dough, given enough of this dry sourdough culture it could reactivate well enough. If it isn't obvious, I'm a sourdough newbie :) If I had a more viable culture that didn't smell like nail polish remover (and taste about the same in the end product) I'd experiment myself.

Any thoughts?

I'm mostly just surprised they aired something showing him igniting charcoal on his home oven, given how litigious people are these days.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:51 PM »
two different pizza makers from this site have been allowed in the back room to watch patsy's make dough.    Both times they used commercial yeast, and no sourdough culture or starter or poolish of any kind.   Just a standard high gluten flour with fresh commercial yeast and fridge fermentation of one day.   I have personally seen them using two different high gluten flours, and an italian tomato mixed with a california tomato product, but never with the sassone name on anything.    I think they sometimes try to throw people off course, or maybe they just buy whatever is on sale and the brand names change based on that.    The real magic is in the oven, which for many years before the influx of italian ovens to NY was the fastest coal oven in the area, sometimes pumping out pies as fast as 2.5 minutes. 

PaulsPizza

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »
Hi guys, do you know if I can view this over the internet from the  UK?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Maestro Pizzaiolo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
Which Patsy's were they at?  I've been to Patsy's on the East Side on 60th St and it was GOOD.... :pizza:
Has anyone tried HULU for the episode or is the show to new...
 :angel:

pizzapan