Author Topic: Tomato or Yes, We have no Tomato?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Tomato or Yes, We have no Tomato?
« on: March 05, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Noticed a cookbook on my shelf this morning that I'd pretty much forgotten about, The Essential Eating Well Cookbook, from the (former) publishers of Eating Well magazine. The magazine has been through many incarnations over  the years, and while now it's not a favorite, back in the day, I really liked what they were doing  and have tried and kept  many of their recipes . Mostly  solid recipes designed to be pretty clean  eating, though they did go seriously overboard with that aspect. "Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and saute the pound of chicken breasts" ! Hahaha..gimme a break! Draconian cuisine! No thanks. But really, much of what they had was really good.

Bringing me to pizza. We won't even talk about their whole wheat crust recipe  :-D  Gads! However among their topping  recipes is one that uses sauteed great Northern beans, rosemary, prosciutto and I think, some grated  cheese in there. But it starts with spreading tomato sauce on the pie. Now I'm thinking, Nope...this should not be that kind of pie. But what do I know?  I think there's a great pie in here, but am interested to see what you guys think might work here. I too think the cheese should be minimal and full-flavored on this...but not quite sure where to go with a base. Any thoughts from the great cooks here?

Offline texmex

Re: Tomato or Yes, We have no Tomato?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »
Well that sounds like a typical baked bean recipe....a little bit of chorizo sausage instead of the prosciutto to change it up and some cotija cheese?  Sure the original recipe sounds odd, but I think it might be delicious as is.
Reesa

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 04:26:28 PM »
I like that chorizo and cotija idea, Reesa..might be just what it needs   And maybe the tomato sauce could work...could be a case of trying it on half the pie..Thanks!

Offline texmex

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:32:10 AM »
I like that chorizo and cotija idea, Reesa..might be just what it needs   And maybe the tomato sauce could work...could be a case of trying it on half the pie..Thanks!

Yeah, ditch the rosemary  and use the demon weed instead? You know, my nemesis  :-D
  What are the beans supposed to be sautéed in? If I had any great northern beans I might want to try the recipe toppings as written.  Have you ever eaten a baked bean sandwich?  Can be great in a pinch.
Reesa

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Reesa, actually I stand corrected...looked again at the recipe and there's no sauteeing...the beans and other ingredients are mixed together and go on uncooked...and looking at the photo in the cookbook (didn't see it...was on a different page, all photos together, separate from recipes..must have been a money-saving layout idea ) I think the tomato sauce may work as you noted.  So thanks to Google, here's the recipe

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/special/2004/essential/pizza.html#axzz428aiQWKv

I could definitely eat a baked bean sandwich, by  the way!

Offline texmex

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:53:29 AM »
Now you've piqued my curiosity...to do some Google searching. Looks like Tuscany has a penchant for pizza fagiole....or anything fagiole.   ;D
Garlic and white bean puree base, topped with all kinds of stuff....looks like a vegan cheese substitute. I  noticed an Alfredo style sauce that uses white beans.  Sounds like something worth experimenting with.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:56:43 AM by texmex »
Reesa

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 05:17:51 PM »
That sounds like good eating!