Author Topic: New to the site, looking for a great sauce recipie  (Read 3586 times)

Brian S

New to the site, looking for a great sauce recipie
« on: October 21, 2003, 02:07:09 AM »
I just discovered this site yesterday, but I've been into making homeade pizza for close to a year I think.  I use quarry tile for my baking stones, and prior to tonight I used parchment paper between the crust and the stones because I was afraid the crust would get stuck in the slight bevels that leave small gaps between the stones.  Tonight I used a different crust recipie, which was much easier to handle (similar to the NY crust found on this site) and tried it directly on the stones, and it worked perfectly.  It had a different taste and texture than the other crust I used, which had honey and olive oil in it, as well as a great taste, but I really liked this new one too.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some great NY style sauce recipies.  Something not too liquidy, with some zing to it.

Brian

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:New to the site, looking for a great sauce recipie
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 01:25:31 PM »
Brian,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I can't help you too much on the sauce recipe question...I'll monitor here, I'm sure someone will eventually be able to help you with that one.

Your NY crust recipe...would you care to share it?  We're in the midst of a heavy discussion to find the "perfect" NY pizza crust recipe :)

Also...this may be a completely ignorant and stupid question on my part...but if you put parchment paper between the crust and the stones, doesn't it catch on fire when cooking?  ???

Cheers,
Dave

Brian S

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 03:59:19 PM »
The recipe I used was from www.brick-oven-pizza.com

3.5 - 4 cups flour (I used bread machine flour)
1 cup + 3 tbsp warm water
2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp instant yeast (I used 1 tsp active dry yeast)

I dissolved the yeast in the water, then added the flour, then the salt, and kneaded for 5 minutes or so in a kitchen aid.  I've seen here in other posts you should knead it for longer.

Then you're supposed to let it rise in a warm spot for 1.5 - 3 hours, then put in the fridge for at least another 4 hours (up to 36 hours), then take it out to warm an hour or so before you bake it.

Came out pretty good, but I dont know if it's authentic NY style.  Looked similar to the NY recipe on the front page of the site, but with different proportions.

The parchment never caught fire, but it did get dark and brittle.

Brian

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 07:47:24 PM »
Try this Brain.

1 28 oz. Can 6-in-1 tomatoes ground and peeled
     2  tablespoon olive oil
     1  garlic glove squashed
        teaspoon salt
     1/8   teaspoon thyme
       teaspoon basil
     2 teaspoon Penzey's Pizza Seasoning

Simmer do not boil.

Randy

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2003, 11:08:28 AM »
I use an uncooked sauce with either 6-in-1 tomatoes or San Marzanos crushed by hand--season it as you like.

hkigram

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2003, 06:39:54 PM »
Thanks Randy,
I'll try that...

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »
I wish I had a sauce recipe.  Most of mine are open the 6-in-1 can add this much salt, that much pepper, so much sugar, some garlic, and whichever spices that I have.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 09:08:06 PM »
http://www.penzeys.com/
Good stuff.  This is their sales pitch.
Pizza Seasoning
This tasty Italian style mix is great for making homemade pizza sauce or pizza sausage, or for simply sprinkling on a frozen pizza before cooking to add extra flavor. Mix 1 TB. Pizza Seasoning in 1-2 Cups tomato sauce for homemade pizza, depending on how spicy you like it. For sausage, use about 1 TB. per pound of ground pork or beef. As great as it is to make pizza from scratch, most people use our pizza seasoning to give a boost to bland frozen pizza. Pizza Seasoning is also great for pizza bread: brush cut French bread lightly with seasoned tomato sauce, then sprinkle with grated cheese and broil. Use with beef or pork patties and top with tomato sauce and a slice of mozzarella for a kid-pleasing pizza burger. Hand-mixed from: salt, cracked and ground Indian fennel seed, Turkish oregano leaf and powder, garlic, black pepper, sweet California basil, white onion, crushed red pepper and cayenne red pepper powder.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 06:54:26 PM »
Sounds good enough to try.  Just waiting on pay day.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2003, 10:06:36 PM »
I would start off less than they suggest, I use 2 teaspoons per a can of 6in1.

Randy

pizzapan