Author Topic: Okay, now I'm confused  (Read 2868 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Okay, now I'm confused
« on: November 01, 2003, 03:19:35 PM »
I've been reading the thincrust threads with fervor, as I too, am in search of that ultimate thin crusted nirvana.  However, while googleing, I stumbled across this presumably old web page asscociated with this site describing how to make a thin crust.

In it, it says to ONLY use high-gluten flour (14%).  Which is contrary to most of the recipes and ideas concerning a crispy crust.  It seems to me, that high gluten would make it harder for the crust to be crisp, but maybe not?  

Perhaps a poll is in order to see how many people use high gluten vs. regular and/or bread flour in making their thin crust pizza.  

Here's the article if you care to read it.  I'm not sure who authored it.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Okay, now I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 05:22:13 PM »
All I know is the flour we used at Pizza Inn for thin crust had a lower protien level then the flour we used for the Chicago pan.  I remember reading that.  I just dont know what the levels were.

For thin crust I tend to use AP flour,  for NY a high protein flour.

DKM

I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 09:02:49 AM »
I authored that recipe. It will be updated with our latest findings as soon as I find the time to do so.  Sorry for the confusion. :-\
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
pizza test-night
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:31:40 PM »
No problem Steve.  Interesting reading.  I just finished cooking two pizzas tonight.  Here are the results:

Pizza 1 - "ap flour".  
Pizza 2 - "bread flour" Gold medal yellow package.

Both doughs were allowed to rest 24 hours, room temp in sealed containers.

Pizza 1 was VERY difficult to roll out with a pin.  
Pizza 2 was much easier to roll out.

Both were made using part-skim mozzerella, which is the first time I've tried it.  Usually, I use whole-milk mozz.   I prefer the whole milk mozz much more than the part-skim.  The part skim did not brown evenly and looked "fake".  My kids didn't like it either.

Both were cooked seperately at approx 525F for 15-17 min. on the lowest rack setting, using newly-acquired Pizza Hut thin pans I got from Ebay.  Both pans were greased w/ Crisco.

I noticed both pizzas shrunk inwards, away from the lip of the pan approx 1/4", so next time, I will use less cheese near the edge of the crust.

Pizza 1 cooked for 15 min.  The bottom of the crust was not brown and crisp; it was just slightly crunchy and pale white.

Pizza 2 cooked for 17 min.  It browned up lightly, but had a much crunchier texture than pizza 1.

Both had a slightly yeasty flavor, but it is still not the flavor I am looking for.  

After my experiment, I have concluded that a higher-gluten flour is indeed better than an all-purpose flour.  Next time, I will try using a high-gluten flour.

Finally, I also did NOT pre-bake either pizza this time.  Next time, I will try pre-baking to see if that helps.  I have done that in the past with mixed results.

Does anyone coat the dough with olive oil before adding the sauce?  I have done that in the past, but I'm undecided if it makes any difference.

Thanks for reading.

Mark

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 06:05:46 AM »
Mark it might help if you could dexcribe the pizza you are trying to make.

Randy

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 09:46:00 AM »
Randy -

Basically, I'm looking to replicate the Pizza Hut style thin and crispy.  I want a very crunchy crust, but also with flavor.  I'm having trouble describing the flavor part; just don't want it tasting like "nothing" :)

Pizza Hut over the years (at least near me) had gotten really sloppy in making consistent thin'n'crispys.  Usually, they are soggy towards the center of the pizza, or they burn the cheese because they don't put enough on it.  I quit going there because I was sick of paying those prices for crappy pizza.  It used to be good!  Anyway, I thought ap flour would allow the dough to become crispy since it would lay flat and not rise since it had a low yeast content and a low gluten level.  Ideally, it would have very little rise.

Another crust I'd like to make is the Godfather's Pizza style crust.  Slightly thick and chewy, but not quite like a NY pizza.  Guess I'll have to go undercover to find the truth ;)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 01:36:53 PM »
I went back an re-read the cracker-crust thread.  I followed that recipe exactly.  The pics on that thread are what I am looking for.  Pizza 2 I made using bread flour, still didn't look as good as that one in terms of flaky-crusty texture.  Mine still had some rise in it ie. tiny air bubbles like a sponge.   That recipe called for 1.5 tsp yeast.  Has anyone tried making this w/o any yeast or with less than that?  I'll try again next week!

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2003, 08:23:41 PM »
For thin crust, I use AP flour, 1 pkg of yeast, per 3 cups of flour......works all the time.

Look for "Itsinthesauce" posts and pictures.

Russ44

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 10:35:32 PM »
Wow, I just registered to this board a few minutes ago, and low and behold if I didn't find other people with the same quest I have.  To duplicate the famous Thin-N-Crispy crust that Pizza Hut does.  I just read were someone didn't like Pizza Huts Thin pizza anymore, because they are not doing it like they use to.  It must have something to do with location (thank god), cause they still cook up a pretty mean pizza here.  I will say this though.  The Pizza Hut pizzas that I order for delivery are not as crisp as eating it in the restaurant, but that makes sense to me also, given the fact that a hot pizza closed up in a box with steam coming from the pizza, is bound to make it some what soggy.  If any one ever finds the perfect clone to their thin crust, then please let me know.  I have been searching hi and low.