Author Topic: Keste Clone  (Read 23759 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Keste Clone
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
yum yum yum yum!   I can't believe you are making all this less than a half hour from my house!    Any aspirations of opening a pizzeria?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2011, 12:48:13 PM »
yum yum yum yum!   I can't believe you are making all this less than a half hour from my house!    Any aspirations of opening a pizzeria?

Scott - You are welcome to come by any time! As for opening a pizza place, I really have no interest. Every time the idea creeps into my thought process, I watch an episode of Kitchen Nightmares and I am back to reality.

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2011, 01:31:46 PM »
Im with you man, my dreams got shattered a bit when I started getting more time behind the scenes in professional kitchens.   Well, I wish I had someplace to send all my friends who are constantly asking me where to find good pizza around boston.    Maybe David is our only hope?!?!

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »
Im with you man, my dreams got shattered a bit when I started getting more time behind the scenes in professional kitchens.   Well, I wish I had someplace to send all my friends who are constantly asking me where to find good pizza around boston.    Maybe David is our only hope?!?!

Hehe....I hear you Scott.

Having spent a few years as a server, with some stints behind the line as well, the reality of running a restaurant smacks one curtly in the face for sure. But then again, if pizza and a salad or two are all that is on the menu, many of those issues would be greatly mitigated...
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »

Scott - If you opened a place would it be Neapolitan or NY elite/coal?

John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
If I opened a place I would love it to be both!      I was a little jealous when I saw Tony G do that, but wow, I think he went even further than I would have.    My plan was neapolitan, coal oven style, and heck, if im going that far why not just throw in chicago thin and crispy and sicilian all under one roof.    Of course this is all a dream because I don't have the money to do it anyhow..... I just like them all too much to pick a favorite, but if I were pressed it would probably be a cross between a coal oven and a neapolitan pie somewhere in the 2-3 minute range with wild yeast and a neapolitan oven.  Of course it would make the most sense financially to just stick to one type.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:41:05 PM by scott r »

Offline API

« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 10:59:59 AM »
Thanks David and Larry for the additional info.

Adrian - Thank you for the compliment. I will put something together for you this evening.

John

Thanks very much John!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »
john great looking pizza. the move that roberto uses is just as you described. streaches gently to about 9 inches round .he builds his pies then he puts his first two fingers of each hand under the rim spreads them and stretches to final size. he then does the same on the other side. he does it in two moves. it take me four to get a round pizza.his peel is a 13 inch gi metal round .the move off of the peel is important, it it like a guick backwards shuffle board motion..super quick and the pizza maintains a round shape.

For those who would like to see Larry's excellent description of this in action, here is a vid from Keste showing the move:

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2011, 06:37:36 AM »
John,

Since this is your thread, I donít know if you are other members are interested, but I saw a link from amusebouche1 on his MPM.  It was for amusebouche1 blog.  http://amusebouche1.blogspot.com/2011/05/scotts-new-greenwich-village-pizza-tour.html If you go down though the pictures you can see the pictures amusebouche1 posted of products being delivered to Kesteís, when he was on a pizza tour.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »
John,

Since this is your thread, I donít know if you are other members are interested, but I saw a link from amusebouche1 on his MPM.  It was for amusebouche1 blog.  http://amusebouche1.blogspot.com/2011/05/scotts-new-greenwich-village-pizza-tour.html If you go down though the pictures you can see the pictures amusebouche1 posted of products being delivered to Kesteís, when he was on a pizza tour.

Norma

Thanks for the link Norma.  When I met with Italo from Orlando foods he mentioned the Ciao tomatoes to me, if I remember correctly, Amano uses the same ones.  I use the Lupara buffalo mozzarella & I think it's fantastic for pizza, as a matter of fact I just picked up a case the other day.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »
Yes Amano uses the Ciao tomatoes I can verify that. They are also packaged with several different labels (sinatra)  for resale in the states I guess you are freezing the cheese if you bought a case can you explain how you  handle that process.
Thanks Matt
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2011, 07:37:42 AM »
Yes Amano uses the Ciao tomatoes I can verify that. They are also packaged with several different labels (sinatra)  for resale in the states I guess you are freezing the cheese if you bought a case can you explain how you  handle that process.
Thanks Matt
John

Hey John,
The cheese comes frozen & yes I keep it in the freezer.  I thaw it out in cold water the day before & then cut it in half.  I put it in the fridge overnight covered in a strainer so that all the excess water drains out.  The next day just before use I pull it apart.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
Thanks Got it makes perfect sense.This is what I am using from rest Depot. Quite tasty and very reasonable, this container with 5-6 balls? is $12.76  Not sure if it comes to them frozen I will ask, it in the refer sect. in water when I get it
anybody else try it ?
J
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:21:09 PM by JConk007 »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2011, 11:53:50 PM »
John that cheese is great. Did they recently start selling it at Restaurant Depot? I've only seen it at Costco. The one from Costco comes with 4 balls(1.1 pounds) and cost $14.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
Thanks Got it makes perfect sense.This is what I am using from rest Depot. Quite tasty and very reasonable, this container with 5-6 balls? is $12.76  Not sure if it comes to them frozen I will ask, it in the refer sect. in water when I get it
anybody else try it ?
J

Man that's cheap.  I wouldn't freeze it if it doesn't already come frozen.  I've had this conversation before & unfortunately by the time buffalo mozzarella gets on a plane & arrives in North America it's already passed its prime.  In Italy, it's never refrigerated & consumed the same day.  The advantage I think the Lupara has is that it's flash frozen preserving alot of the flavor.  I buy it local from time to time & it is really good; a little price though, $7 for 125g.  His supply of buffalo milk is limited so he doesn't have it all the time.  I may pick one up when I go there Friday for the virgin fior di latte.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2011, 08:20:51 AM »
Yes it could be 4 balls  I thought 5. I will be  Getting more for this Saturday I have another gig with the Big guy barrel , Ugh! so I will confirm . They have sold it for the 5 months I have been going there. Usually have about 5-7 in stock and they do run out at times so I know its pretty fresh.  Price is right as an 8oz Beligioso fresh mozz. ball is $4.99 at my local supermarket. No I would not refreeze but yes I am assuming it came in frozen at some point as it is from Italy.  as Matt mentioned it would be past its prime there is a date on top usually like 2 weeks to expiration
John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »
i was at restaurant depot yesterday i missed the buf mozz and curd. i am going to call today to see if they have those products in the cleveland branch.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
I've been getting Garofalo at Whole Foods in a small container with only 1 ball each.  i think they're about $7.  i like it a lot. 
bill

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
Best...Cheese....ever.  Tangy, creamy, luscious.

I get it at costco 4 balls for 11-12 bucks.  They sell it spring through fall and just started carrying it again last week.

AZ

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
I've only seen the Garofalo product at Whole Foods and Costco.

I only have purchased one container at Costco and I found it to be of decent quality, but not great and not worth the price point.

Maybe I got a less than ideal specimen? I'll get another container and try it again as it sounds like it is doing well by other members. -K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan