Author Topic: Keste Clone  (Read 24007 times)

Offline MSK

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Keste Clone
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »
Congrats! those Pies look darn good, and pretty close to your goal.  I had the opportunity to eat there for lunch last week, and I thought it was great. 

Anyone know what brand/type of cheese he uses?  It really stood out as exceptional to me for some reason.

Mike

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
I know at one point he was using Lupara flash frozen bufala. I am not sure if that is still the case:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8285.msg71626.html#msg71626

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
 someone in new york makes his fresh mozzarella,you are right it is hard to beat. he also uses curd for some of his appetizers.
 john, your pizza looks really close to kestes, i think the salt is to be at or around three percent. if anything a little more in the summer to slow the yeast. i also think that the room temperature of 65 degrees is close to optimal . in the summer somthing to control humidity would be needed to do a room rise dough. his dough never tastes overly salty it must have to do with that long slow rise. if you look at the container and where his thumb is it comes in at the salt is 24 to 27 ounces. i really think that the vpn document is followed really close.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
Larry - Thanks so much for the insight. My normal salt range is 2.8%, so I will give that a try next time. It will also slow down the fermentation, so I will also stick with .075% yeast to hopefully allow more than 30 hours.

John

Offline CRUSHPizza

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 06:03:52 PM »
Bravo!!

John, I can only hope that I can serve pies that look (and I'm sure, taste) that amazing!

Come up to Nashua after the New Year and make dough for me so I can look over your shoulder.  ;D ;D

-Steve

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2010, 07:22:53 PM »
John, please tell me about your preparation of the baccala pie, i want to do it for Christmas . all of your pies look great, that one jumps out at me.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »
Larry - That baccala is actually the filling for ravioli we have on Christmas eve, along with grilled lobsters. The meal was early this year due to traveling, which is why I had the leftovers for the pies.

My recipe is essentially the same as the filling in the recipe link below, and the filling was spooned on. The pie used fior di latte sparingly, and was drizzled with olive oil that was heated through with lemon zest, lemon juice and a splash of limoncello. Finished with fresh marjoram (you could substitute oregano).

http://www.lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/recipe/salt_cod_ravioli_with_herbed_butter_sauce

John

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:57:53 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:26 PM »
Bravo!!

John, I can only hope that I can serve pies that look (and I'm sure, taste) that amazing!

Come up to Nashua after the New Year and make dough for me so I can look over your shoulder.  ;D ;D

-Steve

Steve - Thanks very much. Scott R would be a better consultant for your dough (he is a professional). But I am happy to oblige if I can cook a few pies in your Ferrara oven! I am sure David (BrickStoneOven) would come along as well.

John

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 01:51:07 AM »
Oh, wow. If you didn't tell me I'd think those pies came straight out of Keste's kitchen...they look delicious!

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »
Steve - Thanks very much. Scott R would be a better consultant for your dough (he is a professional). But I am happy to oblige if I can cook a few pies in your Ferrara oven! I am sure David (BrickStoneOven) would come along as well.

John

I'm down.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:44 AM »
Good lord....can't wait to get home and see these pics full size. John and Chau....tremendous looking pizzas. I  contemplated putting my cell in my mouth and taking a bite! :P ;)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline DodgerBlue

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 02:19:45 PM »
All I have to say is wow. Great pies john and chau, they look amazing. It's tough looking at these great pizzas, meanwhile my ovens broke till early next week. I will say that the more I experiment with long warm rises the better my pizzas are getting. My starter is performing way better than it ever has and I'm using way less than ever before. Keep up the great work.

Erich

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
It has been a while since I used any Caputo, so I decided to buy a little bag and give it another chance.  I am going to use your mix and methodology:

Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
CY (.075%):
Salt (2%):
Total (162.075%):

691.04 g  |  24.38 oz | 1.52 lbs
414.62 g  |  14.63 oz | 0.91 lbs
0.52 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs |
13.82 g | 0.49 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.88 tsp | 0.96 tbsp
1120 g | 39.51 oz | 2.47 lbs | TF = N/A
280 g | 9.88 oz | 0.62 lbs

But plan on making 4 dough balls, so do you see an issue making it in one batch?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
But plan on making 4 dough balls, so do you see an issue making it in one batch?

Not at all, I usually make 4-6 per batch.

You are going to need to cook these pies at a high temp with a roaring fire. Are you sure you want all that leoparding and char?  ;)

John

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
The way I look at it is: if it is as popular as it is, then it must taste good, and perhaps I have just never had or made a good Neapolitan style pizza.  So I will give it another go!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
The way I look at it is: if it is as popular as it is, then it must taste good, and perhaps I have just never had or made a good Neapolitan style pizza.  So I will give it another go!

You will love them. Shoot for a floor of 850-900 and a 60 second bake. That is when the Caputo sings.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »
ts, what style of pizza do you like? just curious.

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 10:41:06 AM »
I would call it New York, style, mainly, but I like variety more than anything else.

Pizza01

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
john amazing pies, very good job, you know what you are doing. i bet the pies taste great.
i understand that in the video he said he add the salt after 1 minute, and after seeing several video of bread making i noticed they do the same, they say if they add the salt with the yeast, sugar and water it will take 30% more time kneading for the dough to developed.
i noticed you wrote that you add the salt after puting the flour in the mixer for few second.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:56:55 PM by msheetrit »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »
john amazing pies, very good job, you know what you are doing. i bet the pies taste great.
i understand that in the video he said he add the salt after 1 minute, and after seeing several video of bread making i noticed they do the same, they say if they add the salt with the yeast, sugar and water it will take 30% more time kneading for the dough to developed.
i noticed you wrote that you add the salt after puting the flour in the mixer for few second.

Michael - Personally, I do not think it matters that much when the salt is added. For a workflow such as this, the yeast is such a small amount that extra care is given as not to be in direct contact with the salt. But in recipes with larger amounts of yeast I have never had an issue with dissolving the salt in the water, and then adding the yeast directly to the brine.

John

pizzapan