Author Topic: Sourdough starter pie pics...  (Read 5013 times)

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Sourdough starter pie pics...
« on: April 24, 2005, 07:16:47 PM »
This pie was the outcome of using, autolyse, sourdough starter, a hint of IDY (pinch)...sea salt, distilled water, long overnight rise in cool basement.. As you can see the dough was very very stretchable, almost like bubble gum, note the bubbles around the edge of the dough which had to be manually puntured quite nice I thought-- this is gonna taste great. So I stretched put on the toppings, onion, and dandelion leaves now summer is here. Muir Glen tomatoes, oil and oregano, mozz/prov cheese. and baked

This dough was very wet, it took longer than usual to brown and bake up, the pie had bubble blisters form with usually don't form on dough I make with mostly IDY... After it was done you can notice one of the bite marks that the dough has a lot of "gluten strings" in throughtout the bubbles along the edge. The crust was crisp, chewy, and light..however
one thing was I could'nt taste a hint of salt?? where was it??? I guess I'll have to add more than I usually do, not sure why.... maybe the sourdough starter overpowered??
Anyway, a most satisfying pie...I do like the basement rise vs the frig rise.... will keep tinkering. I think I will have to add some sugar for more browning which I like, to also produce more char on the bottom...but I have improved my overall attempt... enjoy!

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Sourdough starter pie pics...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 07:21:07 PM »
here are the other pics that did'nt attach for some reason..

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
last pic

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »
MTPIZZA,
Here's my singular comment: I would pay for that pie.
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 07:27:27 PM »
pft....I guess its my turn to invite you PA...come on up ...the oven is still warm ..thanks for the kind words..

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 07:29:27 PM »
If you have Eagle tickets and that pie, I'm there...

Seriously it is a great looking pie. The toppings look balanced and appear to add to the crust instead of overpower it. Very professional looking.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 07:35:48 PM »
Looks great! How did you like the Muir Glen?

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 07:36:57 PM »
Well I don't have Eagle tix..but I can get Trenton Thunder tickets..(minor league baseball..nah..)..anyway... Did you ever notice when using autolyse that the salt in the dough seemed non exisitant?? or did you have to adjust from pies which you did'nt use autolyse method?? just curious...what I did love about this dough was the aroma...no yeasty smell just pleasant moist smell with hint of charring

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 07:40:38 PM »
I really do like Muir Glen PLUM tomatoes they always open with a fresh ripe tomato smell and taste I never have to add sugar. They coat their cans inside with some sort of white skin (not sure what process they use for this) but it never ever has the dreaded tin can taste. I used to use 6-1 but they got kind of sporadic in flavor for me...then I went to San Marzano, then Red Pack...they all seem to change a little from can to can...I have never found Muir Glen to do that. They even have a fired roasted tomatoes which have a charred flavor putting your pie even further towards that coal oven taste..

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 07:41:13 PM »
I have not noticed this. However, I would say that  you can get more flavor by extending the cold rise. I go 1-2 days minimum, with a recent 6 day rise as one of the best I've ever made. 3-4 is typical for me

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 07:43:17 PM »
6 days..wow. Does'nt the dough exhaust itself??? deflate...then when baked never really give you any spring?? I've seen your pie pics and they look amazing...

Do you have to knock down the dough when first or second day has past????

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 08:00:41 PM »
MTPIZZA,

Mighty fine indeed.

Could you elaborate a bit further on the particular version of autolyse you used? And was the sourdough flavor pronounced or subdued?

I can't figure out how the salt flavor was missing in action. In your last pizza, the salt (1 t.) came to around 2.4% of the weight of flour. Did you use the same basic dough ingredients and amounts (other than IDY) this time around?

Peter

Offline pftaylor

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 08:09:34 PM »
MTPIZZA,
I have noticed a salty taste quite infrequently with KASL and the Pizza Raquel recipe. However, I have noticed it a bit more with Caputo Pizzeria 00 flour based recipes in the past but not lately with the Pizza Sophia recipe.

Are you using a fine course sea salt? If so, that may help to explain it. When I used to use a course sea salt, the salty flavor was more pronounced. I reasoned that the larger chunks of salt didn't incorporate quite as fully, hence the salty taste. With a fine course, it seems to blend better.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2005, 09:30:16 PM »
I have not noticed this. However, I would say that  you can get more flavor by extending the cold rise. I go 1-2 days minimum, with a recent 6 day rise as one of the best I've ever made. 3-4 is typical for me

enzymes work better and faster at room temperature. Thus a 24 hours rise at 20 degree celsius could be equivalent if not better then 6 days in the fridge at 2-4 degree celsius.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 12:43:39 AM »
I'm going to try your way soon. Ed wood (I hope I'm quoting him right) says that the yeast (which produces the puff) are relatively inactive at low temp, but the lactobacilli (which produces the flavor compounds) are active a both high and low temps. Therefore one would think a cold rise would get a better flavor, holding off the yeast while the lactobacilli slowly ferment the dough. Wine ferments in a cool place for extended periods. Can you really develop all the flavor in a just one day?

If you could expand on your experience here, it would help. I'm feeling right now like my mixing and overall technique is excellent and I want to focus on varying the fermentation methods. Yours is very, very different from what I've had success with so far, but I'm open to your experience.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 08:29:57 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys I really appreciate it... ok my autolyse was half my flour all the starter (1/2 cup)...all my H20 3/4 cup (with a pinch of IDY in it)...a squirt of oil...1/4 tsp.. and turned on the machine...mixed till thicker than pancake batter..turned off mixer -waited 20 minutes. Then added the other half of flour then added sea salt ...good point here pft..I did use flaked salt which was probably less strong..AND..I forgot I did have to adjust my recipe for the autolyse which produced a much much wetter dough..I had to add some more flour when it was mixing to get a ball going!! Problem solved that was it --I diluted the recipe with more flour...no realizing the salt concentration would be off now in the final bake and taste...
As for flavor yes it did have a bit of a sourdough kick if you will...not sour but different in flavor less mild crust flavor a hint of tang to it especially the browned bubble parts of the crust.
I know have overcome my fear of the RISE OR SPRING when using starter...it works and it will improve each pie I bake from here on out!!...I usually make my pies on the weekends so I can account for slow cool rise of the dough...I think I will try Varasano's suggestion and try a 5-6 day rise!! will post pics for sure and comments are needed and appreciated! till then get those fresh herbs going!!