Author Topic: First attempt at website pizza  (Read 923 times)

Offline BearBonezBBQ

First attempt at website pizza
« on: December 23, 2010, 11:40:24 AM »
 As posted in the newbie thread yesterday, I am trying my first recipe from this website. The dough has been in the fridge since yesterday afternoon. It proofed well....I'd say about 70% or more bigger.  My tomato plants are done, so will be using canned for the sauce. The oregano and parsley plants are doing well still, so that will be going into the sauce. Also have some basil still that brought inside to add as a topping. Going to use sweet sausage, mushrooms and a basil chiffonade for my toppings. Going with shredded mozz, as well as a pre packaged italian cheese mix.
 Once I get the crust down, I will get more creative and use quality toppings. I can see that this is going to turn into another culinary obsession.

buceriasdon

Re: First attempt at website pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
We like pictures, pictures good. Pizza good.

As posted in the newbie thread yesterday, I am trying my first recipe from this website. The dough has been in the fridge since yesterday afternoon. It proofed well....I'd say about 70% or more bigger.  My tomato plants are done, so will be using canned for the sauce. The oregano and parsley plants are doing well still, so that will be going into the sauce. Also have some basil still that brought inside to add as a topping. Going to use sweet sausage, mushrooms and a basil chiffonade for my toppings. Going with shredded mozz, as well as a pre packaged italian cheese mix.
 Once I get the crust down, I will get more creative and use quality toppings. I can see that this is going to turn into another culinary obsession.

Offline BearBonezBBQ

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
Have the sausage slightly cooked to a crumbled midrare. Basically I rendered about half the fat so it doesn't make for greasy pizza, but doesn't turn dry...not sure how that will work or the crust for that matter. Our oven tops out at 500 so I am stuck cooking low and slow...
 Sauce is made and cooled. I made a really simple sauce this go around. Just crushed tomato, garlic, slat, pepper, red chile flake and oregano. If this one goes well, next time I'll peel fresh romas, and add a little cabernet, and sweat the garlic in some good 1st cold pressed olive oil. The dough has been resting to room temp for about 45 minutes. The stone has been heating for the same amount of time.
 I'll start taking pics from the point I start stretching the dough. I do have one question at this point afetr I stretch the dough. I have seen where someone will press their fingertips around the dough, making air pockets I am  guessing. Is this recommended? I don't have a docker, if that is recommended.

Offline BearBonezBBQ

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »
 I think the next attempt should be tried on the grill. The dough came out a bit dense and tough. It stretched well. Used the tossing/spinning method to stretch it out. It stretch easily and evenly without it even threatening to tear, so I think the mixing and fermenting worked well. This leaves me to conclude that at 500 degrees, and taking longer for the  edges and bottom to get that dark, golden color dried out the interior of the dough. So next try will be to grill the pizza. To me it seems the same idea as searing meat. Get that nice char/caramelization on the exterior, and and a tender interior. Took pics, but I don't think they are much to look at, so I am not uploading barring any requests.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
A picture is worth a 1000 words in diagnosis, and 500 degrees is plenty hot enough for a light crust.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:02:38 PM »
Yep. Pictures good. Also helpful to hear how you made the dough,type of flour etc., what recipe you used and how you baked the pie. More detailed the better.
Don
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:05:47 PM by buceriasdon »

pizzapan