Author Topic: 5 dough test  (Read 2899 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
5 dough test
« on: April 24, 2005, 09:19:37 PM »
5 Dough Test

I had 5 different doughs I wanted to try, so yesterday, I made them and let them rise 24 hours.  All except one, were left on the counter for 24 hours.  One was in the refrigerator, because it contained milk, and I wasn’t sure if that would sour if left out.

All pizzas were baked at 525F, even though the oven was set @ 550.  I have a stone also.

The first dough was made with King Arthur “Perfect Pizza Blend” flour.  It should be called “Perfect to throw away in the garbage”, as this was the worst of the 5 that I made.  Mixed in my Kitchenaid:  3 ¼ cups flour, 1 ¼ tsp salt, 2 tbs olive oil, 1 ¼ cups warm water,  2tsp yeast (preactivated and then added).  These are the directions on the bag.  The flour contains unbleached AP, durum wheat flour, dough conditioner and baking powder.

I actually made this one twice:  once with a 4 min pre-bake on the crust and once without.  Baked for 8 minutes.  It didn’t seem to make a difference, as both were stone dry, like a very dry bread stick and tasting like a cheap frozen pizza crust.  I tossed it in the can.

The second dough was a high-gluten floured pizza using the “NY style” recipe from the book American Pie.   This was my favorite of the 5.  It had a soft, yet slightly crispy crust and not too dry.  Baked for 10 min. This one is a keeper for me.  This dough also rose the most out of the 5; it was gigantic!   Very easy to work with.  It’s on page 114 if you’re interested.

The third dough was King Arthur “Pizza Crust” mix.  Small bag.  Dough was soft and pliable.  I found this to be an adequate crust;  edible, but uninspiring.  It took 3rd place in my taste test.  Cooked for 8 min.

The fourth dough I decided to go for a stretch and make one using whole wheat.  One word:  Yuk.   Tasted like wheat toast with tomato sauce.  Hey, I tried…

The fifth and final is a recipe from American Pie -  “Pizza Americana” on page 116.  This was my 2nd favorite of the 5.  It turned out to be really thick crust, about ½ inch throughout.  It tasted sort of like fresh baked bread, but in a good way.  The dough was very stiff to roll out, though.  This is the one I had in the fridge for 24 hrs,  and then let it sit out for 2hrs before making. 

#2 takes the honors for me.   I will make this my “standard” pizza from now on. 

In Summary:  The fancy pizza dough blend and pizza mix were not worth the money, in my opinion.  The high gluten flour King Arthur sells though, is worth it.   
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Re: 5 dough test
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »
#1 pizza perfect blend from King Arthur.  A bust.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »
#2 NY style pizza.  My favorite of the 5.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:26:13 PM »
#3 King Arthur Pizza Crust mix. 

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »
#4 I trashed, so no pic.  Here's #5, Pizza Americana.  Not bad, but not great, either.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 09:31:56 PM »
BTW, the sauce I used was one I prepared the day before:   1 can of 6 in 1's  (excellent tomatoes), 2 tbs balsalmic vinegar, 2 tsp King Arthur's "pizza seasoning", which is onion, garlic, herbs (?), spices (?), and salt.  Looks like the herbs are oregano and basil. 

It made for a pretty good basic sauce, nothing to brag about.  I will experiment with that in the future.

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 08:10:47 AM »
bravo for your tenacity...as I have learned from this site...too much yeast can make your pie bread like. Its not a bad thing but its heavy on the stomach when eaten. As for flavor the one you put in the frig had milk in it... that will make the crust soft and very bread like. Try pizza raquel recipe of some of the others where you use an autolyse, flour, water, salt, a little leavening and long cold rise... then see the results you will be please with no throw aways!!!... good luck..

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 11:51:27 AM »
MTPIZZA - thanks for the comments.  I just finished reading the Raquel thread and am interested in trying that one out.  The autolyse -   that's where you let it rest for some time, right?  I did on mine, about 10 minutes after an initial 2 minute mix.  Maybe longer next time.  I do think I used too much yeast.  Have you made Raquel?  It uses a high gluten flour.  Isn't a Napoletana pizza one using 1/2 that amount of gluten?   Also, being a real novice,  what's the story behind baker's percents?  How does one use them?  Seems like weight or volume measurements would be the way to go.  Thanks - Mark

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 12:49:39 PM »
Pizzaluvr,

Authentic, classic Neapolitan pizzas use Italian 00 flour, which has a protein content within a range of about 9% to 12.5%. King Arthur has a domestic clone of the 00 flour that has a protein content of 8.5%. Neapolitan "style" pizzas can use other kinds of flours that are more commonly available to pizza makers, including high-gluten flours, or even combinations of flours, such as all-purpose, bread, cake and pastry flours. The King Arthur Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour has a protein content of 14.2%. The producers of "elite" pizzas, such as available from places like Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, Patsy's, DiFara's, etc., were inspired by Neapolitan pizza making principles. From a style standpoint, I would tend to put the Raquel pizza and those made by Varasano in the same category.

As for baker's percents, their value to us as home pizza makers is in allowing us to take an industrial-sized dough recipe, for example, one based on using 50 pounds of flour, and downsizing it to make much smaller amounts of dough, even to the level of a single dough ball for a single pizza of any size (diameter) and crust thickness. The downsizing can only take place if the recipe to be downsized is stated with baker's percents and the ingredients are specified by weight rather than volume. It is possible to convert a recipe based on volumes to weights and calculate the baker's percents, but it is much harder to do and not as precise as using weights. With baker's percents, the flour is always given a baker's percent of 100%. All of the remaining ingredients are stated as a percent of the weight of flour. If you would like to read a "tutorial" I prepared on baker's percents and how they can be used, I refer you to Reply #29 on the Lehmann thread, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.msg5431#msg5431. I also recently went through a similar analysis for the benefit of SuperPizzaFreak at reply #10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1152.0.html.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:59:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 04:18:48 PM »
thanks for responding Pete...I could'nt have said it better myself. ;)