Author Topic: 19 inch pizza in standard electric oven..  (Read 1943 times)

Offline trentonpie77

19 inch pizza in standard electric oven..
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:47:52 PM »
the guy at the restaurant supply store said there was no way a 19 inch pan would fit in a standard oven. all i have to say is, 'way.' the first pic shows the pan on my 18 inch wide boos block -- you can see the pan is slightly larger. the second two show it in the oven. it fits without touching -- just barely.

one question: this was my first time using a pan that is not 'non-stick' (i guess it is stainless steel?) ... and sure enough the dough stuck. guess i need to use more flour than with the non-stick pans??
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:58:23 PM by trentonpie77 »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: 19 inch pizza in standard electric oven..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
The best thing you can do,If you want to cook only on a metal pan,is to coat it with oil before you put the pizza on there.Any type of oil is fine.Olive oil is perfect too.If you do not want to use oil,try corn meal...rub it in everywhere and experiment.Too much flour sucks.

That way,after a few minutes,as the pizza cooks,you can take a spatula and go under the crust to ensure its not stuck.Slowly poke under the crust,and see if it releases everywhere.Sometimes it will be stuck on one side...if so,let it cook a bit longer.

Also if you have holes in the pan,and you press the dough down too much,it will get stuck in there too.

Here is what I have done...I bought a pizza stone,16 inch round...you can buy a larger stone that will hold the 18-19 inch pies if you like.Just make sure it fits your oven.

What I do is oil/or cornmeal the pan some,stretch the dough,put it on the pan and shape/make the pizza.I put the pizza pan with the pizza right on top of the preheated stone in the oven.

After about 3 minutes,I take the pan with the pizza OUT of the oven and I use a spatula to see if it got stuck anywhere...I leave the stone in the oven...never take it out...If the pizza is not stuck to the pan and moves around after I use the spatula,I THEN use the pan as a Pizza peel and Slide the pizza off the pan onto the stone in the oven.I have to tilt it alot,or it may not float over the raised edge of the pan.

Put the pan on top of the counter and let it cool off a bit.

The last 3-5 minutes on top of the stone, cooks the crust with a nice char...basically I'm watching the cheese to make sure I take it out before it breaks down.

When the pizza is done cooking,wearing oven mits on both hands,hold the pan lower than the stone and with your other hand with the mit on,slide the pizza off onto the pan again,and set back on the counter.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:48:06 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »
i would suggest a blend of semolina/flour and use it to stretch your dough, also with it dusted on the pan before placing the skin on it, unless you like a grainy texture of cornmeal.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
I use a little semolina rubbed into the pan, then take if off the pan and put it directly on the rack after a couple of minutes.  I am not making big ass pies like that though, just 14".

Nice pie!

Offline trentonpie77

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:38:19 AM »
thanks for the replies.. i'll have to give the cornmeal / semolina suggestions a try. i figure that if i can master making this 'big ass pie' in my oven, it'll make it easier to crank out large quantities of pizza when i need to. the 19 incher is almost 50% more pizza than a 16 inch pie :o

and thanks for the comment about the pie.. this is my attempt at a mack and manco style pie by the way

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »
the 19 incher is almost 50% more pizza than a 16 inch pie :o

It is about 41% by area: 9.5 x 9.5/8 x 8 = 1.411, or 41.1%.

Peter

Offline DanTheMan

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »
My 18" deepdish just fits in my oven.  I'm not sure if a 19" would, or not. If I spread the dough out in the pan, I use oilve oil and semolina. If I end up tossing it and not want the crispy crust from the oil, I will use regular BF and some semolina.

Cheers!