Author Topic: Two questions regarding “How much time do I have?  (Read 930 times)

Offline wizarddrummer

Two questions regarding “How much time do I have?
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Hey all,

My friend has a little restaurant in a small town. He's been buying some frozen pizza and heating them up. I suggested that maybe he can make a few each day; they might taste better. I told him that I stumbled on this site and chances are we could make better pizza than those frozen kind if we try and learn from the great people on that site.

So the plan is to make pepperoni pizzas and assemble them on pizza screens.

So the first question is, once he's assembled a pizza on the screen with the dough, sauce, cheese and pepperoni, how long does he have before it has to go into the oven? Minutes? Hours? Days? If you put it in the refrigerator?

Next question: After the pizza has been taken out of the oven, sliced and placed on one of those round aluminum trays or in a pizza box. How long do you have before you can’t serve it anymore?

In other words, how long is the shelf life for a cooked pizza?

I can eat a day old pizza that was sitting in the fridge because I just love pizza, not too sure about other folks.

He does want the customers to come back and buy more.

Thanks!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Two questions regarding “How much time do I have?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
If I am paying restaurant prices, I want it cooked to order.  I don't even like re-heated slices at pizza joints, although I do not mind my own.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »

So the plan is to make pepperoni pizzas and assemble them on pizza screens.

So the first question is, once he's assembled a pizza on the screen with the dough, sauce, cheese and pepperoni, how long does he have before it has to go into the oven? Minutes? Hours? Days? If you put it in the refrigerator?

Next question: After the pizza has been taken out of the oven, sliced and placed on one of those round aluminum trays or in a pizza box. How long do you have before you can’t serve it anymore?

Well, regarding the first question my take is that he'd have only minutes before they go into the oven, not hours or days. Once the sauce is on, the toppings are on you'd have to flash-freeze the pie in order for it to be useable and not end up as a soggy mess.

Second, common sense tells me that the patrons should get the pizza before them as fresh and hot as possible, if your buddy wants to keep their business.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
To preassemble pizza as you described would give a soggy mess of pizza when baked later. Ugh. Why reinvent the wheel? Once your toppings are prepped and ready it doesn't take that much time to put a pizza together.
Don

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »
wizzarddrummer,

The answers to your questions depend to a degree on the dough recipe used to make the dough and the degree of seasoning of the screens. Doughs that contain a lot of water (high hydration) are prone to seeping into the screens. That will result in the baked pizza becoming attached to the screen and inseparable without destroying the pizza. So, as Mike has noted, you don't want to let an unbaked skin or unbaked pizza sit for long on the screen before dressing and baking. This is especially true for a dough with a high hydration. It is possible to prepare some skins in advance and use them as needed to fill orders. You can read about this possibility in the post at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12581.msg120663/topicseen.html#msg120663. You should especially read the PMQ Think Tank posts and threads referenced in that post. Some pizza operators sauce skins in advance of orders but that is generally not a good idea because the water in the sauce can seep into the skin and there is also a possibility that you will end up with a gum line in the baked crust.

Once a pizza is baked, and especially if slices are to be sold, I am pretty sure that there are health department rules and regulations that have to be observed. One of our members, Norma, who sells both fully baked pizzas and slices, may be able to give you an idea as to the types of rules and regulations that apply to baked pizzas and slices.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
wizarddrummer,

I agree with the others on this thread, that I wouldn’t presauce skins and leave them on a screen, until the pizza is ready to be baked.  It isn’t that hard to make a regular NY Lehmann style dough and have dough balls on hand to make freshly baked pies. 

I have a heated, humidified holding cabinet that can hold three 16" pizzas, but I only hold them for about 1 ˝ hrs. if they aren’t bought.  I then can reheat slices if someone wants a slice.  I mostly sell slices because I am at a farmer’s market.  I only am open one day a week.  If you need any help, let me know.  My pizzas have to be held at a certain temperature after they are baked.  I don’t know what kind of regulations your state has for holding pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wizarddrummer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:51 PM »
thanks for the replies ... all my questions have been answered.

pizzapan