Author Topic: Where Was That Topic?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline ddolinoy

Where Was That Topic?
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
Frequently I've found a great topic on this forum.
Unfortunately, the next day I can't find it.
I'm sure it's still there somewhere, I've just lost it.
Is there a way to mark a topic so I can find it easily in the future?
Something like a favorite topics folder.
Dave

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Where Was That Topic?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »
Dave,  save the page to your favorites.  It will be thefre when you go back for it.....  -marc

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »
Often the Moderators will move or merge posts to make the board a little better organized so bookmarks may not always work in such cases. I use Evernote which has extensions for all the browsers so you can store a copy of a web page (or just the link). You can easily categorize and tag the items you have saved in Evernote so that they can be very easily retrieved. Added bonus is that it will synchronize your saved items in the cloud and your smart phone - automatically. Half of my brain is stored in Evernote!

Offline ddolinoy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:47:25 PM »
Bill,
I'm assuming Evernote is an application I'll have to install on my PC?
I'm also assuming there is no easy way to mark my favorite topics in this forum with a tool provided by this forum.
Thanks for replying.
Dave

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:19:55 PM »
Bill,
I'm assuming Evernote is an application I'll have to install on my PC?
I'm also assuming there is no easy way to mark my favorite topics in this forum with a tool provided by this forum.
Thanks for replying.
Dave

Dave,

Your assumptions are correct. Although this forum is populated by some of the best people you will find on the Internet, the software behind it can be less friendly. You should send a PM to Steve, the board owner, if you would like him consider new features.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
Depending on your browser and how often you clean out your 'History', in most cases you will find it right there. Even after a few days.

It might involve some searching, though.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:04:58 PM »
Dave,

It it is simply a matter of finding a recent post or thread, what I often use is the forum's Advanced search feature and adjust the time period to a few days or a week or sometimes a month or so, based on my recollection of when the post or thread might have been entered. To keep from getting too many hits (although selecting a short time period usually drastically cuts back the number of hits), I try to use a keyword, or string of keywords, that will further limit the number of hits. If I remembered the user's name who posted, I use that name in the User's name box.

Peter

Offline ddolinoy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »
Thanks.  These are all good suggestions, but I guess I'm a little spoiled.  I am also a member of a Slot Car Forum called SlotForum.  In that forum, after opening a topic, there is an options button in the upper left corner.  One of the options enables you to subscribe to the topic.  After doing that, I don't have to search for that topic again.  All I have to do is go to my personal control panel which contains a list of all the topics I subscribed to.  I find it very helpful.  They also have a recently read topics window which would have helped me yesterday.
Dave

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »
Dave,

We have a "will work for food" philosophy on this forum  :-D.

Peter

pizzapan