Author Topic: Small bits of green mold on sides of starter container  (Read 781 times)

Offline jayclev

Small bits of green mold on sides of starter container
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:35:50 AM »
I've had my starter out for a few days (my 1st attempt)  and I've noticed some mold starting to grow on the sides but not in the starter itself.  I thought I mixed it pretty well (at every feeding - 12 hour intervals).  I poured it into a new glass bowl with a lid (same type as the initial one).  I've been using a basic white flour (all natural) and water (50/50) mix.  Since it was just isolated to the sides of the bowl, should my starter be all right, or should I throw it out and start over? 

Jay

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Small bits of green mold on sides of starter container
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
Did you wipe the insides of the bowl with a damp cloth or sponge from the sink for cleanup?

John

Offline jayclev

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »
No, I didn't touch the inside of the bowl with anything but the wooden spoon I used to mix the flour in during feedings.  I may have not done a very thorough job mixing the flour as there was some left sticking to the sides of the bowl.  Also, I decided to pour the rest in a new bowl a few days ago and I haven't had any new mold growing in it, so maybe it will be all right.  The starter has been out at room temperature since Dec. 24th. 

Jay

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
It will be alright, a healthy starter will outcompete the mold.  The mold crops up when conditions get weird like a very old, mostly dead starter.  You may have had some crud stuck to the side of your bowl, most likely a starter crust chunk from previous use.

pizzapan