Author Topic: 00 Flour  (Read 3227 times)

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
00 Flour
« on: April 25, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »
WHAT IS THE BEST 00 FLOUR TO USE? I need to buy 50# bag and needed some tips
thanks guys

(look i found the caps key ;D)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 00 Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 03:00:38 PM »
WOMBAT,

I would say the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, based on my experience after trying out most of the 00 flours available in the U.S. It is usually found in the 25 kilo size, or 55 pounds. PennMac sells it although you won't find it on their website (pennmac.com). If you call PennMac (1-800-223-5928 or 412-471-5928), ask for Rose and tell her you are a member of our forum. You might get a good price. Another source for the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour is chefswarehouse.com. You might want to compare the final shipped prices at both PennMac and chefswarehouse to see which offers the better deal.

Another possibility (I almost forgot) is to check the Caputo distributors list linked in another post at this forum, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1250.0.html, to see if there is a distributor near you and, if so, what the price would be from such a distributor.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:04:16 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 08:40:52 PM »
CALLED ROSE AGAIN AND ITS ON THE WAY THANKS AGAIN

1 MORE THING HOW DO I STORE 55 LBS?   5 GALLON BUCKET? ;D
ANY TIPS WOULD HELP A BUNCH

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 10:52:39 PM »
WOMBAT,

The storage will depend to a great degree on how long it will take you to get through that much flour. Most white flours will keep for about a year if kept in a cool, dark place. If you don't think you will be able to use all the flour by that time, then it may be best to break up the flour into smaller packages and freeze them. If you do that, you may want to freeze all the packages, just in case there are any unhatched eggs of little critters in the flour. The freezing will take care of that problem.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 11:01:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline FornoBravo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 04:45:22 AM »
Wombat,

How much did it cost, with shipping and everything? It would be good to know.

James

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 10:35:39 AM »
THANKS GUYS

I think 6 month max for the flour i have a few friends that also like pizzamaking so it should go fast

I payed something like 35 bucks and i put the shipping on my UPS account so I dont really know .If you give me your  zip i can get you a shipping quote on my computerI tried to find a dealer in my area but they all have min orders of 200$ +

Ill let you know how it is when the brown truck stops by

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 12:05:06 PM »
CALLED ROSE AGAIN AND ITS ON THE WAY THANKS AGAIN

1 MORE THING HOW DO I STORE 55 LBS?   5 GALLON BUCKET? ;D
ANY TIPS WOULD HELP A BUNCH

Wombat,

I store my flour in Cambro brand  round food storage containers (poly) with snap-on lids.  These containers are NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) approved and are widely used in the food service industry.  Check your local restaurant supply house or find a supplier online such as www.dvorsons.com.   They are also available for twice the price at  www.bakerscatalogue.com

A 22 qt. container will hold 27.5 lbs. of flour.  (approx. $12.00 for container & lid)
An 8 qt. container will hold 10 lbs. of flour.     (approx. $ 5.25 for container & lid)
A 4 qt. container will hold 5 lbs. of flour.     (approx.  $ 3.35 for container & lid)

You may also wish to buy a Lexan scoop to make refilling your smaller (working) container
faster and less messy. 

Regards,

David