Author Topic: Old Blodgett Oven  (Read 2914 times)

Offline smrtgy123

Old Blodgett Oven
« on: January 04, 2011, 09:19:14 AM »
Hi there
 I have probably the oldest Blodgett oven ever made. It is a double deck unit oven that has 2 slots in each one . I have 2 problems. First is the top unit is not lighting anymore. I am very new to this but there is a part, sort of like a metal wick that works with the pilot light and it fell out and I have no idea how it even attached etc. Can I purchase a new one and is there another way of bypassing this? The way I THINK this works is the pilot gets lit and then it reaches a certain temperature to allow the gas line to open and this is not happening because the wick part is not there. Is there a way i could do this with a small blow torch or something or is this an easy part to replace?
Also the lower deck part was reaching 820 F at full tilt. Now it barley makes 650f could these be related with the upper deck problem?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge and appreciate any feedback
 THANKS

buceriasdon

Re: Old Blodgett Oven
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »
I would contact a dealer in your area or the Blodgett site for the parts you require. Those parts are safety features and should never be bypassed. Never. Perhaps the new pilot and thermocouple may reqire some slight modification to enable safe effective mounting, but not altered in any other way. Maybe a part that holds the pilot has rusted or burnt away and also needs replacement, I wouldn't dare guess. I'm pretty handy but I like someone else to double check my work when it comes to gas and it's dangers. It would be well worth the money, for peace of mind, to have a pro look at the oven. That's my two pesos.   http://www.blodgett.com/deck_roasting.htm
Don

Hi there
 I have probably the oldest Blodgett oven ever made. It is a double deck unit oven that has 2 slots in each one . I have 2 problems. First is the top unit is not lighting anymore. I am very new to this but there is a part, sort of like a metal wick that works with the pilot light and it fell out and I have no idea how it even attached etc. Can I purchase a new one and is there another way of bypassing this? The way I THINK this works is the pilot gets lit and then it reaches a certain temperature to allow the gas line to open and this is not happening because the wick part is not there. Is there a way i could do this with a small blow torch or something or is this an easy part to replace?
Also the lower deck part was reaching 820 F at full tilt. Now it barley makes 650f could these be related with the upper deck problem?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge and appreciate any feedback
 THANKS

Offline smrtgy123

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »
thank you Don for the 2 Pesos and big words of wisdom which makes a lot of sense!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
 if that metal wick is a brass color it is the thermal coupler and that is easy to fix. i would call a furnace repair to look at it .

pizzapan