Author Topic: Thanks, guys!  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Jackson

Thanks, guys!
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Today I made my first successful pizza. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. My attempts had been hit or miss (read: disasters) until I found your forum.

I used Pete-zza's thin, AP flour variation on Randy's American Style dough. I mixed the dough late Thursday night for use this afternoon.

The cheese was Bakers & Chefs/Stella shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella. Not haute cuisine, but tasty.

For sauce I put my own spin on Pete's Pappa John's sauce clone. A full 28 oz can of Cento all purpose crushed tomatoes was my base. I used Pete's recipe as a framework, adding his ingredients a little at a time and tasting as I went until the sauce seemed 'right'. I wound up using about half the oregano, maybe 60% of the basil, half the garlic powder, all the salt, a teaspoon or two of the oil and probably a third of the sugar. The result was very tasty once cooked, even though straight from the can the Cento tomatoes seemed a little bitter.

I used a 16" screen with the expanded metal construction and baked the pizza on the bottom rack at 550F for 12 minutes. I think my oven might be lying though, the rim doesn't seem to brown as much as I'd like.

For an occasional American style pizza, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Cento again in lieu of the elusive Escalon and Stanislaus offerings. I'm still looking for them though :)

Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 06:58:19 PM by Jackson »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Thanks, guys!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 09:34:51 PM »
Today I made my first successful pizza. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. My attempts had been hit or miss (read: disasters) until I found your forum.

I used Pete-zza's thin, AP flour variation on Randy's American Style dough. I mixed the dough late Thursday night for use this afternoon.

The cheese was Bakers & Chefs/Stella shredded low moisture part skim mozzarella. Not haute cuisine, but tasty.

For sauce I put my own spin on Pete's Pappa John's sauce clone. A full 28 oz can of Cento all purpose crushed tomatoes was my base. I used Pete's recipe as a framework, adding his ingredients a little at a time and tasting as I went until the sauce seemed 'right'. I wound up using about half the oregano, maybe 60% of the basil, half the garlic powder, all the salt, a teaspoon or two of the oil and probably a third of the sugar. The result was very tasty once cooked, even though straight from the can the Cento tomatoes seemed a little bitter.

I used a 16" screen with the expanded metal construction and baked the pizza on the bottom rack at 550F for 12 minutes. I think my oven might be lying though, the rim doesn't seem to brown as much as I'd like.

For an occasional American style pizza, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use Cento again in lieu of the elusive Escalon and Stanislaus offerings. I'm still looking for them though :)

Thanks for all the help!

Jackson,

Welcome to the forum and itís great to hear you made your first successful pizza!   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 10:47:27 PM »
Thanks, Norma!

I'm kind of ashamed to say I didn't understand how important accurate measuring was until recently, when I bought my scale. Absolute night and day difference in my results.

I also can't tell you how surprised I was by the gluten that can develop in lowly all purpose flour during a slow refrigerated ferment. Live and learn.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
Thanks, Norma!

I'm kind of ashamed to say I didn't understand how important accurate measuring was until recently, when I bought my scale. Absolute night and day difference in my results.

I also can't tell you how surprised I was by the gluten that can develop in lowly all purpose flour during a slow refrigerated ferment. Live and learn.

Jackson,

No need to feel embarrassed that you didnít understand the importance of accurate measuring.  I also didnít understand the importance of accurate measuring until I found this forum.  I even opened a small farmers market pizza stand making pizza and didnít even have a digital scale.  I learned fast I would need a digital scale to make decent pizza.  :-D  I had so many problems with my dough, that I was embarrassed and didnít understand why things were happening until I also learned a digital scale was important and learned dough management. 

You are already learning a lot about gluten formation.  :)  Keep up the good work and let us know how your pies turn out.

I also lived and learned and still am learning.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!