Author Topic: Shakey's 2011  (Read 8895 times)

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Shakey's 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
Hi Gang
I too have been a long time fan of the thincrust Shakey's pizzas.

While your pizza looks great, I might suggest a few experiments for you to adjust it for a crisper center.
1.) I usually parbake the crust a bit for this kind of pizza before putting any toppings on it. Seems to help dry and crisp it a bit.
2.) I think your pizza looks good as is, but again in the quest for some more crispness you might try one with a little less cheese, sauce, toppings. You may be over loading it for the center crispness you want.
3.) Adjusting time/preheat/and oven temperature may help in some way. Probably too many ways to plan for.
4.) I seem to remember Shakey's having a fair amount of cornmeal on the bottom of their crusts. I do that most of the time now and I think it raises the bottom from the stone just enough to help let some moisture to escape from the bottom.
5.) Nothing to do with crispness, but I seem to remember that the Shakey's sauce was noticebly brighter/tastier than most other pizzas in our town. There aren't any Shakey's places anywhere in the midwest anymore. Probably been over 20 years since I had one. To get near that extra bit of zing in the sauce flavor, I still add a bit of sugar and a small amount of vinegar to my 6 in 1 puree. The 6 in 1 puree is the brightest tomatoes I have found to date, but I still perk them up for pizza sauce with that touch of sugar and vinegar.

I am not the pro class that some of the other posters are here, but most of my friends and family think my pizzas are better than anything that the local eateries are putting out. Try a few of these simple adjustments and keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck and Have fun and keep us posted with pics, procedures, and recipe details whenever you can.

John in Merrill  :pizza:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:12:21 PM by jgestner »

Offline Zing

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
The use of vinegar is interesting. I have read people cloning other sauces using MSG. From a sauce ingredient posting, I am using powdered citric acid obtained in an international super market. I am using dextrose instead of sugar, again from an ingredient posting. Home brew shops seem to be the best place to obtain small quantities of dextrose.

Offline BTB

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
I'm sorry, but I must say that vinegar would be the last ingredient that I would ever add to a pizza sauce mixture.  In my estimation, . . . it would ruin it.  Now some may like it, but I think the vast majority . . . wouldn't.  But different strokes, eh?
                                                                                 --BTB

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
Generally everyone has a love fest on here--we share a common passion, but the picture taking(at any speed) while you are driving is just stupid. Yes, my rep will be ruined here, but it's just a [bad] move to do that. Sorry. >:( >:( >:(

[Edited to remove profanity]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:58:53 PM by Steve »

Offline DocSpine

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
Actually it was the check engine light at 80 mph while taking a picture of pizza that made me laugh >:D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 10:11:26 PM »
OK, this thread needs bumped. It took me a long time to find it.

Interesting that the dough mix instructions in the original post are a little different than the instructions elsegundo has shared. Basically this mix seems to be about the same as the one elsegundo shared, minus IDY, which is pretty much accounted for in the fact that the mix is 24.8 lbs, rather than 25 lbs. One big difference, though: This mix calls for 10 lbs of water, whereas elsegundo's mix calls for 9 lbs of water.

Gene, are you absolutely sure the package said 10 lbs of water, rather than 9 lbs of water.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Some time ago, out of curiosity, I took a look at the Shakey's nutrition information, such as given at http://www.shakeys.com/Libraries/PDFS/Shakey_s_Nutritional_Info.sflb.ashx, to see if it was possible to tell much about the Shakey's ingredients from that information. Unfortunately, what I learned is that the Shakey's thin crust pizzas were cut "family" or "party" style. That meant irregularly-shaped slices or pieces such as shown, for example, at http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/1142516/thumb_600.jpg?1324368225. Is that type of cut standard at Shakey's for their thin style pizzas or can one request pie-shaped slices. The Shakey's nutrition information simply says slices for the basic cheese pizza, which is the simplest to analyze because it contains the fewest components. Looking at the nutrition information for the individual thin crust pizza with four slices, I would imagine that those four slices are pie-shaped. But maybe that is not a cracker style pizza.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
Every Shakey's pizza I've ever seen had a pie cut. Weird that you bring this up, though, because when I mentioned last night (in the Round Table thread) how Tommy's is kind of a "Columbusized" version of Shakey's/Round Table, part of what I meant is that Tommy's does a party cut, rather than a pie cut. (The other part of 'Columbusized' is provolone cheese.)

I think Shakey's cuts their large (14" or 15") into 12 slices and their medium (12" or 13") into 8 slices. Seems like I've seen pictures of their smaller pizzas cut into 4 slices.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
Based on Gene's information in the original post, I calculated a prospective dough formula for the dough mix used at this Shakey's, which is a slightly different dough mix than the dough mix elsegundo has shared in other threads. (The instructions are slightly different, as well.)

I hypothesize that this bag contains:

22.96 lbs of flour
16 oz of shortening
7 oz of sugar
6.5 oz of salt

Which is exactly 24.8 lbs of dough mix.

When the 10 lbs of water and 2.5 oz of IDY are added, the formula is:

100% Flour
43.55% Water
0.68% IDY
1.77% Salt
4.36% Shortening
1.91% Sugar

Without looking, I believe that's very similar to the formula Mad Ernie used earlier in this thread.

Note: The 2.5 oz of IDY, when added to the dough mix, does not bring the dry ingredient weight to exactly 25 lbs, as might be expected. Rather, the total dry ingredient weight comes out to 24.96 lbs. For the dry ingredients to total 25 lbs, 3.2 oz of IDY would have been necessary.

As I shared yesterday in another Shakey's thread, I hypothesize that elsegundo's 25-pound Shakey's dough mix bag (from California) contains:

22.96 lbs of flour
16 oz of shortening
7 oz of sugar
6.5 oz of salt
3.2 oz of IDY

When the 9 lbs of water is added, the formula is:

100% Flour
39.2% Water
0.87% IDY
1.77% Salt
4.36% Shortening
1.91% Sugar

This is all hypothetical, but I'm sure I'm pretty close with this stuff. The thing that puzzles me is: Why does Jet_deck's dough mix call for a pound more water than elsegundo's dough mix? Also, why not 3.2 oz of IDY in Jet_deck's dough mix, which would be more in line with all other Shakey's inside information I've deemed trustworthy?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »

Gene, are you absolutely sure the package said 10 lbs of water, rather than 9 lbs of water.

Not absolutely, but pretty sure. Let me see if I can find out.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
One big variable in all this is the type of flour. You'll be hard pressed (literally) to drive a strong flour that low in hydration. I suspect the flour is closer to an AP type flour.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »
I just came home from a stop at the Torrance CA Shakey's.  I had a "single" and a beer.  I hadn't  been in a Shakey's in probably 20 yrs.

I noted that the sauce was tangy, possibly vinegar-y, lots of oregano flavor to me, and somewhat sweet.

The cheese was very stringy when hot, a little rubbery as it cooled.

The crust was very crisp and I noted micro bubbles in the bottom as well as the cornice.   It had an oily look as well. So, the high oil content in the above recipe seems to match.

The trip to Shakey's makes me want to give a clone a try.

JetDeck, D'ya ever get that 'check engine' light looked at? 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:57:29 PM by bbqchuck »

Offline Zing

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »
Some time ago, out of curiosity, I took a look at the Shakey's nutrition information, such as given at http://www.shakeys.com/Libraries/PDFS/Shakey_s_Nutritional_Info.sflb.ashx, to see if it was possible to tell much about the Shakey's ingredients from that information. Unfortunately, what I learned is that the Shakey's thin crust pizzas were cut "family" or "party" style. That meant irregularly-shaped slices or pieces such as shown, for example, at http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/1142516/thumb_600.jpg?1324368225. Is that type of cut standard at Shakey's for their thin style pizzas or can one request pie-shaped slices. The Shakey's nutrition information simply says slices for the basic cheese pizza, which is the simplest to analyze because it contains the fewest components. Looking at the nutrition information for the individual thin crust pizza with four slices, I would imagine that those four slices are pie-shaped. But maybe that is not a cracker style pizza.

Peter

I have never been to a Shakey's that served "family" or "party" style. This post shows one of two 14" pizzas (cut pie-shaped) obtained from a corporate-owned location in California:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,518.msg173916.html#msg173916

Each pie had 12 slices.

From a different shipment in 2011, I weighed the contents (minus bag weight) of leftover slices taken from two 14" pies:

Bag #  Weight       Description
#1       10 1/2 oz   4 pieces pepperoni
#2       10 oz         3 pieces cheese
#3       12 3/4 oz   4 pieces cheese

IIRC, the slices were not cut evenly, which is normal, I guess. I will weigh the contents of the entire pie from the next shipment I get.

ADDENDUM: FWIW, I found another set of weight readings. This was of a MEDIUM pepperoni pie (not the LARGE whose nutrition data is on Shakey's website). The entire 10-slice pie weighed 21.5 ounces.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:01:20 PM by Zing »

Offline Zing

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
Not absolutely, but pretty sure. Let me see if I can find out.

Jet, your ingredients declaration in the first post in this thread mentions malted barley twice; once in the description of the enriched bleached flour blend they used, and again as the very last ingredient. Can you confirm this is correct? This would mean I need to add some more malted barley.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Can you confirm this is correct? This would mean I need to add some more malted barley.

I have to say that I feel they are correct for the water amount and the double listing of malted barley.  I had the bag, but cant find pictures of it.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends