Author Topic: Not Too Happy About Canned Lately...  (Read 2780 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Not Too Happy About Canned Lately...
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
Bill,

I also agree that the Walmart Great Value crushed tomatoes make a good sauce.  I have also tried the Great Value tomatoes, with the Great Value tomato paste and also found I like them in combination, with some added dried herbs.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »
Hi Norma,

Thanks for the added info! I am doing an experiment this week with a few cans of Puree by different companies.GV so far is my favorite for store bought Puree,but I want to try a few other store brands of Puree and make/mix them all with the same exact ingredients and do a taste test side by side.

Im trying to find the right products that give me the most consistent results and get me closer to making the sauce I want to use all the time.

I know sometimes we may get a bad batch of something canned,so if one appears to be really yucky or bad tasting no matter what,I will try it again later with another can.I will keep in mind what the label says as well.Some companies might add extra salt,citric acid,paste and water, when others may not,or etc.
 :)

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
I had my Cirio tomato sauce last night and I now understand the reason Italian tomatoes are so highly regarded. Truly the best sauce I have ever made and for that matter had here in Mexico. ;D I hope my local Wal Mart keeps them in stock. Time will tell.
Don

Don,

I forgot to reply to this,Im glad to hear you found the best you can use.I have noticed a big difference in quality between 2 cans of the same stuff,just different companies.What did you like Best about the sauce you made?

We have a Krogers food store that sells some imported Italian tomatoes and I will buy them soon.Im not sure what the name brand is,but I want to see how they stack up next to the GV walmart stuff I have been buying.
-Bill

buceriasdon

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 08:24:10 AM »
Bill, As this is the first can of Italian tomatoes I have used and when I returned for more I found just one can left I don't have much to say about consistency from can to can. Upon opening the can I was surprised to find tomato juice rather than water packing the tomatoes. I processed the can added a small amount of puree, some Mexican oregano, some Italian herb blend and then added red wine vinegar till I got the bite I wanted. I'm interested in tasting the sauce tonight at a New Year's eve party after sitting in the fridge a few more days. Taking my LBE to a cantina in the next town over.
Don

Don,

I forgot to reply to this,I'm glad to hear you found the best you can use.I have noticed a big difference in quality between 2 cans of the same stuff,just different companies.What did you like Best about the sauce you made?

We have a Kroger's food store that sells some imported Italian tomatoes and I will buy them soon.I'm not sure what the name brand is,but I want to see how they stack up next to the GV walmart stuff I have been buying.

Offline gfgman

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
One thing I've learned on this board when it comes to tomatoes is that one mans treasure might be another mans distaste.  I tried redpack crushed and thought it was decent.  Some of the products out there with basil are decent, but them some were very bitter.  Plus, you can't control the amount of basil flavor, unless you mix with something else.  Then I found San Marzano crushed tomatoes and, for me, they were unlike anything else I've tasted.  Such a strong and sweet tomato flavor.  I've often contemplated using them straight out of the can with nothing added. 
I was quite excited when I was able to get to a cash and carry and grab some 6 in 1s, because they are held in high regard on this forum.  Honestly though, they didn't do a whole lot for me.  I thought they made a nice base if you like to really spice up a sauce, but the flavor by itself wasn't very strong.  The san marzanos give me the strong sweet flavor every time.  I will add a can if I'm trying to make something out of garden tomatoes like a pasta sauce or salsa.  It's nice comprise of a larger yield and decent flavor without the large price.

GMan

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
Gman,
You are correct,its all relative to our tastes.
The 6 in 1,Is a great Base as you stated...I would not suggest it be used outright as a sauce alone all the time,But straight from the can,to me,it was great.Was not bitter,nor metal tasting.

Interesting enough,when you mentioned Basil,I have been staying away from cans with added basil...I do not know why,I do not like the way the sauce mix taste from the can.I prefer the basil to be added fresh if its called for when making a sauce.

Sometimes added Basil or even other spices in the can already,the stuff taste a little bit "medicine" like from the cans to me.

I do not doubt the san marzanos,if the right cans are found,might be superior to the rest.The problem is,depending on where we live,and whats been labeled,sometimes we do not get the best or get knock offs.

Thats one of the reasons I made my thread here...cans I used before,I'm getting crappy quality now...do not know why.Had to keep testing to see what the other brands had to offer as well.Sometimes its a bad batch,sometimes it may be a supplier problem or canning problem.

We never know,they dont tell us.What matters is when we open the cans and see and taste whats inside.
-Bill

pizzapan