Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 40442 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #275 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:46 PM »
Interesting. I have been using Great Value crushed and never had any skins floating around.

That's because there aren't any....the late , great Classico crushed didn't have any either.
6n1's do.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2015, 11:03:12 PM »
Recently, I purchased the book, " The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2011-2015", for the many great recipes that it contains. I really recommend this book to anyone. I love it. On pages 332- 344, they provide pizza recipes for dough and sauces. Here is a sauce recipe for New York-Style Thin Crust Pizza, on page 333 of the book.

1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
I have high hopes. I like the flavor of the crushed, but I don't particularly like the skin bits that come in crushed tomatoes.

????
Carl

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
????

I have them, but I want to try them on pizza, and I haven't made any since I got them. Hold tight.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Crushed, skin bits and all.

Offline TXCraig1

Crushed, skin bits and all.

The other day, I passed some crushed through a food mill with the fine plate, it it came out really nice.

Offline TXCraig1

I've only had the crushed. After I wrote the post, I figured I should try the whole too. I have some inbound now.

I did not like the Sclafani whole peeled. They are completely different from the crushed. I will not buy these again.  I'll write a more comprehensive post later.

Offline TXCraig1

It's been commented in the past that crushed tomatoes are sweeter and more flavorful because they use the ripest and softest tomatoes that don't work well for whole peeled. After seeing these, I definately believe that is true for Sclafani. These tomatoes were all perfectly shaped, very firm, and defect free. There was not a soft or broken one in the whole can. They were just barely ripe to slightly under-ripe. To get them to go into the food mill, I literally had to push them in with my fingers. there were so firm that they wouldn't squeeze in on their own. I used the medium plate, and literally 25% of the can would not go through. All that came out was juice and everythign firm was sitting on top of the plate. I switched to the coarse plate and pushing very hard, I was able to get most of it through. It made for a very chunky sauce. The flavor was just OK. I've had better and worse. On a pizza, the sauce was pretty watery/chunky. I'll post some pics in the Garage thread later. I won't get these again. They don't even begin to compare to the Sclafani crushed.

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough! I found it, I found it!!
It's been commented in the past that crushed tomatoes are sweeter and more flavorful because they use the ripest and softest tomatoes that don't work well for whole peeled. After seeing these, I definately believe that is true for Sclafani. These tomatoes were all perfectly shaped, very firm, and defect free. There was not a soft or broken one in the whole can. They were just barely ripe to slightly under-ripe. To get them to go into the food mill, I literally had to push them in with my fingers. there were so firm that they wouldn't squeeze in on their own. I used the medium plate, and literally 25% of the can would not go through. All that came out was juice and everythign firm was sitting on top of the plate. I switched to the coarse plate and pushing very hard, I was able to get most of it through. It made for a very chunky sauce. The flavor was just OK. I've had better and worse. On a pizza, the sauce was pretty watery/chunky. I'll post some pics in the Garage thread later. I won't get these again. They don't even begin to compare to the Sclafani crushed.

Whew, Good thing I held on... Tks for your review and evaluation Craig. For pizza sauce, looks like crushed is the better option.
Carl

Offline jkb

I did not like the Sclafani whole peeled. They are completely different from the crushed. I will not buy these again.  I'll write a more comprehensive post later.

I prefer the crushed too, but I don't think I dislike the whole as much as you.  I get a case discount at my local Italian store.  I buy eight crushed and four whole.  Yours don't look very ripe.  What lot is that?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:20:26 PM by jkb »

Offline TXCraig1

I prefer the crushed too, but I don't think I dislike the whole as much as you.  I get a case discount at my local Italian store.  I buy eight crushed and four whole.  Yours don't look very ripe.  What lot is that?

Bottom of can:
CSWHV
A257 15:16

Top of can:
Best By Sep 14 2014

Offline jkb

Thems is past their best!  Best by on mine is Sep 12 2016.  I was using 6 in 1 two years ago.

Offline TXCraig1

That wasn't their problem.

Offline jkb

That wasn't their problem.

I wasn't suggesting it was.  The current batch is pretty good.  Like wine,  I find that some years just aren't good.  That's when I change up brands.  I went from Sclafani to 6 in 1 two years ago.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:54:38 PM by jkb »

Offline TXCraig1

Pics of pies made with the Sclafani WP here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=14249.msg379254#msg379254

Offline travisd

• I Love Pizza!
On our pizzas we use any can of Italian tomatoes we can get from the local delis. We know which ones to avoid as they seem to have a higher amount of water in the juice. Even the better brands we find have better time of the year. Meaning the tomatoes are more flavourful less watery and not as acidic. what we do is drain some of the liquid from the can the place the rest of tomatoes and juice in a bowl. With a potato  masher is mash up the tomatoes. add some salt crushed garlic , fresh parsley, basil, hot pepper flakes, and olive oil. Thats it.

pizzapan