Author Topic: Any decent sauce at the grocery store?  (Read 578 times)

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
Any decent sauce at the grocery store?
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:51:35 AM »
Normally I get Full Red at a nearby distributor that does cash and carry. But it's 120 miles round trip and I'm feeling lazy. I also don't want to buy an entire case right now. They are closed Sunday's anyway.

Is there any store bought (national brand) pizza sauce that doesn't taste like ketchup and/or have a nasty, bland chemical taste to it? I'm not even looking for great, just passable. I'm craving pizza tonight and I have no sauce. I can't make my own because my blender is broken. I have had zero luck with grocery store tomatoes anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Any decent sauce at the grocery store?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
You definitely don't need a blender to make pizza sauce. In fact, it's often not the best choice.

Your really don't need any equipment. Crushed tomatoes often make great sauce. They are made from the ripest tomatoes that are too soft to can whole. I've tried several brands of whole peeled next to their crushed counterparts, and the difference in every case has been stark. Down the road, if you find you don't like the skin bits in the crushed, you can easily separate them with a food mill. They don't seem to bother most people however. I'd suggest a can of crushed tomatoes with just a pinch of salt and a dash of oregano. Nothing else, and no cooking. Simple. Less is more with pizza sauce. The sauce will cook plenty as the pizza bakes.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
If I am stuck and cannot get 7/11 I will go with a can of Cento All In One crushed Tomatoes.  Then just add 1/2 tsp Oregano, 1 tsp basil and half a crushed garlic clove.  Perhaps a dash of salt and  1 TBS sugar if the sauce is for kids/teens.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
Just get a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes at Wal Mart, Kroger or Smart & Final brand. The code on the can is 5TPCG OL and they are fresh pack tomatoes.  It should cost you about $1.25
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was looking for a pre-made sauce. I have tried making my own sauce. Spent tons of time and money and got nowhere. Tried all the suggested brands of crushed/pureed/whole tomatoes- you name it. Wasn't happy with any of it. Not looking to go down that rabbit hole again anytime soon. I will tackle it again at some point. But I'm not up to it right now.

Ended up making eclairs. That was my supper.  :-D  First time making them. They were delicious and super easy to make. Maybe a little bit too easy, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:01:21 AM by scash2014 »

Offline Simple Man

• Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »
All of the Hannafords and Shaws near me carry Don Pepinos (yellow can). It's not bad in a pinch. Still not as good as a can of crushed as suggested hear by the pros.
Dave

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »
I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I was looking for a pre-made sauce.

I grab a bunch of these on whenever they go on sale: probably the best pre-made sauce I've ever had to use in a pinch. Can be doctored up, but pretty good on their own for pizza or pasta. I'm a minimalist on sauce and toppings, though; I apply just a light coating of sauce with a brush.

Offline scash2014

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:22:42 AM »
I searched the Hannaford site and there was no results for Don Pepino's. Actually checked when I went the tonight. Not only did they not have it, their pizza sauce selection was shockingly limited. What they did have was "pizza sauce" in a ketchup style squeeze  bottle. I was horrified. People actually by this garbage?

Bill, I'm the opposite. I put at least a cup of sauce on my 12 inch pizzas. It's not uncommon for me to do what I call a "sauce monster"put two and half to three cups of sauce, 4 ounces of cheese and a little hamburg on a pie and eat it with a fork and spoon. I do make normal pizza as well. But more often than not I view the pizza as a sauce delivery system. So it's a lot harder for me to hide from nasty sauce.

I guess I will just wait until I can get to the distributor again.

Offline mgproudfit

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
I grab a bunch of these on whenever they go on sale: probably the best pre-made sauce I've ever had to use in a pinch. Can be doctored up, but pretty good on their own for pizza or pasta. I'm a minimalist on sauce and toppings, though; I apply just a light coating of sauce with a brush.
We also use this brand but rather their dedicated pizza sauce. Great stuff for store bought!

Offline clarkth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 10:47:44 AM »
I searched the Hannaford site and there was no results for Don Pepino's.

Don Pepino's is pretty good for a sauce.  I get it at the local Price Chopper (west of Boston), not sure if they are up in Maine or not.

pizzapan