Author Topic: how many grams of cheese on standard 12" pie?  (Read 8668 times)

Offline PizzaVera

how many grams of cheese on standard 12" pie?
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
yeah, how many grams of cheese?

also would the same amount of cheese apply for Bufula for a napolatan pie?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:35:02 PM by PizzaVera »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: how many grams of cheese on standard 12" pie?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:08 PM »
yeah, how many grams of cheese?

PizzaVera,

There is no standard amount. Different pizza operators use different amounts, and the amounts can also vary based on what customers want or like in a given market. However, you can get a general idea (Light/Medium/Heavy) from the Burke's portion guide at http://www.burkecorp.com/images/stories/pdfs/guides/Pizza%20Toppings%20Guide.pdf. You will have to convert ounces to grams by multiplying the ounces by 28.35.

Peter

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:28:10 AM »
lets say roughly 6 OZ judging by the guide.. thats 170 grams 
this can't be right.....

you know how the tubs of bufula come in 125G containers???

so basically one container would almost do one pie??

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »
4.5-5oz has always been my 'normal amount of cheese' if i was marketing it.  if i'm home or it's my own, then about 8-9
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
lets say roughly 6 OZ judging by the guide.. thats 170 grams 
this can't be right.....

PizzaVera,

170 grams is correct. I am pretty certain that the Burke portion guide presumes shredded or diced processed mozzarella cheese, not bufala, which tends to be used much more sparingly without an attempt to cover an entire pizza as is usually done with non-Neapolitan style pizzas. Also, Burke as a company (http://www.burkecorp.com/foodservice-meat-and-pizza-topping-manufacturer-2.html) caters more to independents/mom and pop operators. Burke is owned by Hormel, which does not have much of a presence, if any, in the Neapolitan pizza market.

Peter

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

Of course! Most definitely for the 125 gram containers. The 200 gram ones will do two sparingly for 11in pies. Have you ever used bufala mozzarella on a pizza?

John

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
Of course! Most definitely for the 125 gram containers. The 200 gram ones will do two sparingly for 11in pies. Have you ever used bufala mozzarella on a pizza?

John

NO, I have never used it. so I have no idea. so I am trying to find out as much theory as possible.
Is there something you can tell me?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »
NO, I have never used it. so I have no idea. so I am trying to find out as much theory as possible.
Is there something you can tell me?

I know you are opening a restaurant, so you may have more knowledge than me on the subject. But from my point of view, theory usually takes a back seat to practice. Use some Caputo flour to make dough, top it with San Marzanos and bufala, cook it at high heat in a WFO, and you may have all of the answers you are looking for here on the forum.

John

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:34:54 AM »
I know you are opening a restaurant, so you may have more knowledge than me on the subject. But from my point of view, theory usually takes a back seat to practice. Use some Caputo flour to make dough, top it with San Marzanos and bufala, cook it at high heat in a WFO, and you may have all of the answers you are looking for here on the forum.

John

hahahahahahah so true

Offline jerrym

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
PizzaVera,

it's quite a tricky question to answer as for me - it sort of depends on who's eating it.

my wife and myself like a nice balance with the rest of the ingredients and tend to use 3 off 125g of the wet mozzarella cheese bags on 4 off 11" ie 2/3 on each or 80g. we would also use same on 13".

the kids don't see it like that. 150g is their minimum and would eat 170g no trouble.

the other complication is dry grated cheese - i find i need less of this cheese. a 500g bag will do 8 off or 60g for my wife and myself. the kids don't compromise at any time.

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
right..
yeah I am just trying to figure out rough costs. sure I would buy the cheese bulk
I am going to assume 170G of cheese is needed for a 12" pie. so I will now look for the best deal on fiore di Latte
if I can't find the cheese here I might look into flying it in and put an extra 1 or 2 dollars on the cost of my pizza.
people locally here have just suggested to use the cheap shredded cheese which you can buy for next to nothing..
but I'm sorry, I said.. I don't want to serve garbage to my customers. enough places are doing that here..
I am opening a restaurant not just for the money. but because I want to offer the best product in the city.
I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of it now..
these days with import duties, flights, the price of oil, quarantine etc the exchange rate. it makes it a little difficult. but hey..
not impossible...

Offline Matthew

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:39 AM »
right..
yeah I am just trying to figure out rough costs. sure I would buy the cheese bulk
I am going to assume 170G of cheese is needed for a 12" pie. so I will now look for the best deal on fiore di Latte
if I can't find the cheese here I might look into flying it in and put an extra 1 or 2 dollars on the cost of my pizza.
people locally here have just suggested to use the cheap shredded cheese which you can buy for next to nothing..
but I'm sorry, I said.. I don't want to serve garbage to my customers. enough places are doing that here..
I am opening a restaurant not just for the money. but because I want to offer the best product in the city.
I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of it now..
these days with import duties, flights, the price of oil, quarantine etc the exchange rate. it makes it a little difficult. but hey..
not impossible...

Where's here?

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 09:43:55 AM »
Here is South Korea.

Now things are starting to make a little more sense.

Offline Mikee

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 10:53:53 PM »
I would think that 170 grams of cheese(s) would be about the max for a 12" pizza. Since I am not in the business, I don't measure the amount. While not exact, I would estimate I use appoximately 125-145 grams. You could make several pizzas and vary the amount of cheese and then get some imput as to how much is just right; kind of like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. There is no exact amount because different people like more than others. It's like finding out how much salt to put on French Fries.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:42:07 AM »
I guess I'm a cheapskate.  I use a little more than 2oz of bufala per 11"-12" NP style pie.   :-D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:45:16 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 02:53:09 AM »
I guess I'm a cheapskate.  I use a little more than 2oz of bufala per 11"-12" NP style pie.   :-D

60 grams?  yeah very doable.

one of those small containers of Bufala mozz at 125 grams will get you two pies.. that's good.

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 05:22:01 AM »
If you are talking bufala, you're talking Neapolitan pizza.

VPN spec is 80-100 grams per pizza.

I've always found that adequate.

pizzapan