Author Topic: Yet another KA death ... questions on Bosch  (Read 4043 times)

Offline sfspanky

Re: Yet another KA death ... questions on Bosch
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Next time it dies, just get a Hobart 12 quart with a 1/2 hp motor. I see them used on Craigslist for $800 all the time.  KAs are not really designed for us bread geeks.
Brian Spangler
Apizza Scholls

Offline bradtri

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 01:57:04 PM »
I'm not sure if I'm a bread geek or not ... generally 2-3 batches per week is my max.  An $800 Hobart would be nice ... but I guess if I can fix my KA for $10-$15 and 30 minutes of work every couple years I'd probably be content with that.  Plus, I've got a Panasonic bread machine as a backup.

I also spent some time more closely observing the action of the spiral dough hook, and I think speed 2 is definitely getting a good knead going on.  So, I might keep the speed down and see if that extends the life of the gears.

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 02:12:38 PM »
bradtri, speed #2 is more than enough, I rarely go above #1 on my KA when making dough.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline aquaticdoc

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Having gone through 2 Pro-series KA's and getting a repair cost of $275 for the most recent, we looked elsewhere. The KAs were always noisy and sounded like they were working hard, despite seemingly adequate motor amperage. I make pizza dough by i kg. batches, 00 flour, and this shouldn't overwhelm a KA, but repeatedly did.

I spent a lot of time websearching. The counter-tops Hobarts were beautiful, but ridiculously priced. We bought a Globe SP5, paid $579 including free shipping and no tax, and have used it for 3 months with numerous batches of dough made. The unit is very functional looking, nearly silent, totally and completely satisfactory. We are very happy with it.

Aquaticdoc

pizzapan