Author Topic: A tale of two thin crusts  (Read 1093 times)

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
A tale of two thin crusts
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:40 AM »
Hi everyone!  :D It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I've been VERY busy at work and with raising a couple of young boys.  8)

Some of you may recall a long time ago I posted a topic asking about the Deep Dish versus Thin Chicago style. I doubt it was because of me, but I checked in here last week and saw some awesome thin crust topics and recipes.  :pizza:

Yesterday I tried two different thin crusts. I started with Loowaters' original generic crust and sauce recipe. I didn't get into the later pages with the milk added, simply because I didn't have any 2% milk handy. I'll try it next time. I also did Loowaters' HRI style crust using the same generic sauce. Both pies had Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage, some ham and Boar's Head pepperoni, with the same part skim mozz and Kraft Italian blend cheeses, so my wife and I could do a side by side comparison. Both were 12" pies on a perforated disc. Neither was docked.

I did modify the sauce a little. I used the sauce recipe in Reply#8 in the Generic Thread as a base. I didn't have any tarragon handy, so I substituted the same amount of a product called Todd's Dirt, which is an herb based seasoning that I use for grilling and some cooking. I also didn't have crushed red pepper, so I used about half the amount of cayenne. I will use less cayenne next time, as it was a little too spicy for the 2 yr old.

EDIT: Apparently it isn't letting me link to my Photobucket account.  :-[

Both turned out really good, and my wife commented several times through the night how good they were, which was definitely a compliment coming from her.  :chef: My opinion on the two was that the HRI style crust was better for me. Like I said above, I'll try out the milk-added generic crust next time for a side by side.  :pizza:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:53:32 AM by vr6Dad »
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
Re: A tale of two thin crusts
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:09:46 PM »
Due to work, I've been stuck in the land of frozen or carry-out pizzas for far too long, which means my family has been missing out.

Also, thanks to those of you who research the locals and try to replicate their recipes. It makes it easier for shmoes like me to make a good home product.  :pizza:

Here is a link to the second pizza's pic.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu227/vr6Cop/HPIM2506.jpg
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:17:21 PM by vr6Dad »
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
Hi, Both fine looking pizzas. Good job.
Don

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:30:01 AM »
and with a homeade pie like that, down goes another crappy dominoes!!!!!  with pizza like thta you should probably never order out again. that looks deeee lish!!!! great job!