Author Topic: Types of fresh basil  (Read 14382 times)

Offline Madmax

• I Love Pizza!
Types of fresh basil
« on: April 26, 2005, 09:37:30 AM »
I bought some Thai basil for an Thai recipe I was making, and I thought about using it on pizza.  There are dozens, if not hundreds, of different types of basil, from all over the world.  So my question is, have any of you used various types of basil?   And if so, what are some of the differences you've found.  The Thai basil has a hint of mint to it...wonderful aroma!  Really added a brightness and freshness to the recipe I was making.

Offline pyegal

• Have a peetza pie everyday!
Re: Types of fresh basil
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 07:54:55 PM »
The Genovese variety of basil is a good all around variety I think. Lot's of people like the Spicy Globe varieties, but, they have never done well for me. I like the Purple Basil steeped in white wine vinegar to make a lovely pink vinegar and Cinnamon Basil is great in Cinnamon Basil Cookies. The Fluffy Ruffles or other lettuce leaf basil can produce huge leaves.

When I was really into herb gardening, I usually had a number of varieties growing. There are so many - have fun!

pyegal

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 09:48:08 AM »
I'm also interested in experiencing the many different varieties of Basil.  Previously,  I've only grown imported Italian basil (which I love) but this year I've started flats of several  different varieties.

Botanical Interests sells a sampler packet containing seven different varieties of basil.  The Custom Blend includes Lemon Basil, Anise Basil, Cinnamon Basil, Purple Ruffles Basil, Dark Opal Basil, Thai Basil, and Genovese Basil.  This Custom Blend is available from http://www.gardentrails.com for $1.89 (free delivery and no minimum order).  This is an inexpensive way to get acquainted with several different basils.

I planted a test flat of seed (Italian Pesto Basil from www.reneesgarden.com) left over from last year to see how viable it was.   Nearly all the seeds germinated and are thriving!  I guess the "packed for year" date isn't like an expiration date on a carton of milk,  so you really don't have to spend money on new seeds every year.

I also harvested seed collected from last year's crop.  I planted a test flat and those seeds have germinated and are also doing well.   This seed was from a single variety planted together.  I wonder what kind of varieties will be created from the cross-pollination my multi-variety crop this year?  :o

Happy gardening and pizza making!

Regards,

David

Offline davtrent

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
I forgot to mention that Renees Garden (link above) has introduced a new, exclusive Italian import called "Profuma di Genova".  It has been bred for a pure bright basil flavor without minty/clove overtones.  It has a compact shape, excellent disease resistance, and is a European greengrocers' choice.  See picture below.

However, Renee's Garden bought online (from them) is pricey. A gram packet of seed is $2.49, there is a three packet minimum, and shipping it to you will set you back $3.50!

I'm going to see if I can find it locally for less.  If so, I'll be glad to send a few free seeds to any pizzamaking.com member who requests it and sends a SSAE. 

Regards,

David

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 03:49:30 PM »
I'm very interest. I'll check back.

Offline WOMBAT

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »
LOOKS GOOD, I THINK TTHIS MAY BE NEXT

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 02:15:57 PM »
None of you have mentioned the proper Basil for pizza:
Basil Napoletano:

See this link: http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog/herbs/basilnapoletano.htm

or do a google search to find more.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 07:30:51 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
I checked the gardentrails.com website provided by davtrent in an earlier post to see if they have the basil mentioned by pizzanapoletana. It appears that they do, and from the same seed vendor: See http://www.gardentrails.com/frame.asp?X=823&Y=570&page=product/pframe.htm, and type "Napoletano" in the search box. Moreover, shipping is free from gardentrails, whereas it would cost a few dollars more, because of shipping charges, from the gardenguides source mentioned by pizzanapoletana. However, if one buys several packets of seeds from gardenguides (I estimate up to 25 packets), the shipping costs are the same.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 04:47:41 PM »
I harvested my first batch of Basil Napoletano which I started from seed (http://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1067161791).

As advertised, the flavor is very intense! A little did go a very long way. Everyone really liked it. Can't wait for the tomatoes to start producing.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:28:04 PM »
hey, guys,
i just bought an oregano plant and was wondering how to clip it properly. do you clip 1/3 of the branch?  want to get some ready for drying, but am not sure how to proceed.
thanks,
Christopher

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 09:00:25 PM »

i just bought an oregano plant and was wondering how to clip it properly. do you clip 1/3 of the branch?  want to get some ready for drying, but am not sure how to proceed.

If you just bought it I would not harvest.  Well, do you intend to plant it in the ground?  I harvest about 1/2 the branch when I cut for drying.  I would recommend planting and layering the plant to get it to expand.  Layering is the process of bending down the branch and burying in the middle so that it will root and then spread.  What variety did you purchase?

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline Christopher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »
hi, Tony,
it is Italian Oregano (Oreganum X Majoricum) and it has branches about 12" long or so and new branches growing from these. it is in a pot right about 6" and i plan to plant it in the ground soon.
thanks,
Christopher

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
This year I grew my first basil plants.  I grew Genovese, Sweet, Cinnamon, and Thai Basil.  I'm not sure if they didn't get enough fertilizer, if it's my soil conditions, etc but I found the flavor of all the plants too mild for my taste.   The Thai had the strongest flavor of the bunch but still lacking.

I'll order some of the Napoletana basil for next year and give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion and follow up guys. 

Chau