Author Topic: Recipe wanted!!  (Read 2269 times)

Offline littlecat

• I Love Pizza!
Recipe wanted!!
« on: April 26, 2005, 01:56:26 PM »
Hello, I'm new, my name is Laura.

I used to work at a local joint in the burbs of Chicago called Rosati's.  As a phone receptionist I got to see and smell all those beautiful pizzas on a daily basis but I was not really allowed back in the kitchen to see what was going on.

Now I married a servicemember and moved to the island of Guam all the way by Australia, the Phillipines and so on, and there is no way I'm going to get stuck with Pizza Hut and Dominos for the rest of my time here!  The grease, the fake cheese, it's just not my thing.  And how can a gal from Chicago survive without pizza?  Admit it, it's unheard of.

I've browsed through these forums and you guys really know your stuff!  Do you think you could help me find a good recipe for a thin-crackery CHICAGO STYLED dough?!  You might know what I mean... where the pizza's cut into squares, the dough is crispy and flat yet a little chewy, the sauce is a little sweet and the toppings are all real.  Like Rosati's, if you've heard of 'em.  I taste their pizza in dreams.  :D

Your help would be so appreciated, I'd like to make my husband a nice treat for when he comes home from his deployment in 2 weeks.  Think of it as serving your country.   :D

Thank you so much for your time. 

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
Re: Recipe wanted!!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 05:32:58 PM »
Laura, my son is in SF, so I know hwere you're coming from and I think I can help you out. Living on the South Side, I know what you mean. Simplest recipe is as follows:

Dough:
3 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 tsp yeast ( 1 Pkg)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tblsp oil

Mix yeast with water and sugar...let settle for 5 minutes. Add oil. Mix salt with flour and add to yeast mixture...knead for 5 minutes, until it forms a nice ball. Put in warm place to rise for at least 1 hour. Divide into two balls.

Sauce: There's all kinds of thoughts on this one, but the simplest is to get a large can of crushed tomatoes, add a little Basil, oregano, garlic powder,sugar, to taste. Simmer for about twenty minutes...let cool.

I take two pizza pans...whatever size you have. Butter them or spray with oil...sprinkle with corn meal. Roll out the dough, place on top, cut off excess. Spread sauce, add whatever toppings you want, top with motzarella, perhaps a little oregano and cook in a pre-heated oven at 500 degrees for 8 minutes, turning once during the process. Make sure the oven is pre-heated to this temp and watch it.

This is over-simplification of the process, but coming from the South Side, the results should be good for our tastes. All the best to you and yours.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 05:34:56 PM »
Now, if I could just spell mozzarella, I'd have a real handle on this whole process.

Offline littlecat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 01:07:02 AM »
Yes!!  That's exactly what I wanted.  :D  I can't wait to try out the recipe.  Looks like it will be great!
Thank you for your time!