Author Topic: Well we've been OPEN almost 6 months now...  (Read 2328 times)

Offline RichPugh

• I'll bet you $1 I can get you to gamble today...
Well we've been OPEN almost 6 months now...
« on: January 11, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »
If you followed my First Post (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11392.0.html), you would have seen the list of links and the like to reviews and mentions and stuff since we've been open. Now almost 6 months later, it doesnt seem to show any signs of slowing down and we're still getting tons of free press like write-ups in our local CityPaper, Baltimore Magazine and we even made it into the InFlight magazine GO which a few friends of mine took pics of and passed to me from recent flights hahahhaa.

What did we do so right? I have no clue! We're flying by the seat of our pants here... just chugging along and doing what we said we were gonna do. Open a Pizzeria Tavern :)

Our dough management is still a struggle but I've made a few subtle changes in the dough and there has been some improvement. We're not doing super high volume (maybe 120 pizzas on a busy friday/sat and around 70-80 average sunday-thursday, all mostly dine-in and some carry-out, NO delivery) but we still dont have a walk-in dedicated to the kitchen. We've been sharing space in the walk-in for the beers down in the basement. It's working but its a hugh PITA carrying 20 trays of dough down a cramped flight of rickety stairs into a basement walk-in lol.

Our prep station is our ONLY real work station. It's a Delfield 70" pizza table with only the cutting surface top. We're opening all pizzas ON the peels and usually in the air hand stretching. That same 15" x 70" surface is where we prepare salads, sandwiches, appetizers and anything else so you can imagine how cramped it can get on a busy fri/sat night. We also have a small 24x48 stainless table where we plate pizzas, cut them, salt/sprinkle them and send them out with the food runner but thats also the table where we decided to mount the potato fry cutter (I know what youre saying, why not put it on the wall? I will give anyone $20 who comes in and finds a place on a wall for that damned fry cutter where it wont interfere with anything else in place LOL) so it gets crowded to say the least.

Our 1964 Vulcan range is doing what we need it to do. It has a raised flat-top griddle for doing burgers, grilling chicken breast, cooking tuna steaks, cooking our pancetta bacon and not a whole lot more really. The 6 burners areent really accessible since our plating table is so close to it but we can usually get to 1 or 2 of the burners to warm up some chili or do funnel cakes (which we do in 8" cast skillets with vegetable shortening).

The fryer is the cheapest new 40lb fryer we could buy and its perfect for what were doing. We only fry a few things. Hush puppies, hand cut potato chips, hand cut fries, edemame and the occasional vegetarian sausage for a pizza topping.

If youre not familiar with our menu, check it out here - http://www.johnnyrads.com/JohnnyRads/Menu.html

We have a lot of vegetarian and vegan customers since the word has spread that we cater a lot to both diets. Of course we have real meats like burgers, pancetta, chicken, etc., but we also have vegan chicken, vegetarian sausage, several vegan dressings for salads, truly vegetarian friendly mozzarella (produced with vegetable rennet, not animal rennet), even an anchovy-free caesar dressing :)

I figured I had a few minutes to sit in front of a computer and blurb some stuff out so hope you guys dont mind my random blabbering :)

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:10:08 PM by RichPugh »

Offline RichPugh

Re: Well we've been OPEN almost 6 months now...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
Here are a few new links to write-ups about is :)

Baltimore City Paper - BEST OF 2010 - http://citypaper.com/bob/nightlife/best-new-bar-1.1058297

A new CityPaper critic review - http://citypaper.com/eat/johnny-rad-s-1.1088842

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
Rich,  so good to hear stories like that.  Congrats!  The big question is are you making money,  and are you happy doing it?  Keep it up!  -marc

Offline RichPugh

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Yes and Yes :) It's becoming more enjoyable slowly with the reduction of stress haha. Things are working much smoother so I can spend less time micromanaging and more time managing.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:25:20 PM »
Congrats on the new success and I also have to say,I LOVE the catchy names/words for certain orders on the Menu!
 :-D

Those rock!
 8)

-Bill

Offline jamester

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:22 PM »
Aaah I can't believe it's been six months already, and I still have yet to check it out!

Congrats on the success man, I'm making it a priority to get out there asap...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:15:32 AM »
Congrats Rich!

I'm really happy for your success!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.