Author Topic: Bosch food processor attachment destroys mozzarella  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
Bosch food processor attachment destroys mozzarella
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:24:19 AM »
Has anyone gotten the Bosch Universal with the food processor attachment? I got mine a few weeks ago and have tried to grate mozzarella twice now and both times it just smeared the cheese around and made a big mess. I've tried both the coarse and fine side of the grating disk, neither works. Some of the cheese gets grated, but the majority ends up smeared around the white plastic wagon wheel looking piece and on the disk. Has anyone else had this problem or come up with a solution? Thanks.
- Lido

Online scott123

Re: Bosch food processor attachment destroys mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:45:15 AM »
As brick mozzarella ages, it get's gooier, especially the whole milk stuff, so make sure that the low moisture brick mozzarella that you buy is very fresh and firm and use it quickly. Also, toss the cheese in the freezer for a few minutes right before you use it, so that's very cold/almost frozen. Lastly, freeze the grating implements, so they're nice and cold prior to using them.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
I had a similar experience just the other day with the FP attachment  really chewed it up I used the big side block sorrento and Pushed hard did OK but plenty smeared  on the white adaptor. I tried the slicing disc and was happier with that also push hard takes longer to clean than to shred the cheese  :(
I think freeze quick first would help but not too happy either with this attachment. I also did some parm cheese and same smear on that grating wheel but a bit better. Oh well back to the hand held grater But I will never get rid of this mixer oh Blender works great!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »
Guys,  You all know I like the bosch,  but of all the times I've used the greater/slicer I have never though to myself that something could do it much better.  Its a tough job.  Have you ever tried grating something whole milk (not fresh) like polly o with a box grater?  It is a  nightmare.....  Hard cheese I think it does amazingly well.  Yes there is some residue and gumminess on the disc,  but there also is on most any machine besides a microplane.  Thast my thoughts anyways.  -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »
Marc
you know I love the bosch as well But I used my box Kitchen Aid grater with larger holes on the same cheese and had no problem getting a nice thick long grate perfect for pizza. Slow long pas down the side I will post some pics next time. Maybe there is another disc for the bosch with bigger holes? as I said If I pushed harder it went quick but did look more like diced ?I did like the slicer thats the shred/slice  Pizza Town uses on their pizza and its the best around !
Do you have the the FP attachment
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Lido

• Mulberry Street is my favorite.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:14 PM »
Ok, it's good to know that I'm not the only one having the issue. I guess the processor might be useful for whatever people use these things for, but I've never had one until now. I used to use a Cuisinart  Mini-Prep to chop onions and garlic, but those don't have disk blades, just chopping blades in the bottom (lately I've been using a mandoline for onions and chopping garlic by hand).

For cheese, I normally use Polly-O or similar whole milk mozzarella with a box grater and it works fine. I just thought that I'd give the Bosch grater a try since I had it. There is a bit of smear with a box grater but nothing like there is with the Bosch with disk attachments. I think the issue is probably that the speed is too high even on the lowest setting on the Bosch so the friction melts the cheese rather than cutting it. Maybe pulsing would work or maybe just using the "chopping blade" instead of any of the disks if I really need to break down a block more quickly some time.
- Lido