Author Topic: Food Processor or Mixer,I cannot Decide Yet  (Read 3692 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Food Processor or Mixer,I cannot Decide Yet
« on: January 12, 2011, 08:37:21 PM »
I have been planning on buying the Bosch mixer for a while now.Yet lately I'm wondering if it will be worth my time.I do not make a lot of pizza dough these days.It will probably stay that way as well.I tend to make 1 one 2 dough balls at a time,maybe once a week or every other week.

I understand a food processor can mix the dough in less than a minute? I'm speaking just enough to make one or two dough balls,about 16-18 oz each.That should me more than enough for me at times.I have seen a few 14 cup Processors for under 80 bucks,some as low as $ 50 USD.

I'm just looking for ideas here really...I'm thinking the F/P might be the best thing for me right now,unless someone else can chime in and give me other reasons to move onto a more expensive mixer I may not use that often.

Also,does a processor not require any real kneading times to the dough?

Thanks for any suggestions.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Food Processor or Mixer,I cannot Decide Yet
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:09 PM »
Bill, If you aren't going to be making much dough each time and can get a FP for $50, then that would be my vote.

A FP has other uses as well, but so does a mixer.  A FP might be a bit messier to clean by hand unless you don't mind putting it into the dishwasher.

For kneading, you may also consider using a bread machine.  Those can sometimes be found at thrift shops or on CL for cheap and they do a wonderful job of kneading dough.  I believe you just have to adjust the kneading times like any other machine. 

If you can find a used KA mixer for cheap then that should do the trick as well.

What type of flour do you use most?  BF? HG? AP?   IMO, you can use any type of mixer and achieve the same results, you just have to do some testing and adjust accordingly.  So if you want to save $, then go for the cheapest option.  Food Processors tend to last a long time. 

Chau

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
Bill,

I agree with Chau. I have played around with just about every type of mixer (stand mixer, food processor, and bread maker) and, for your stated purposes, and especially knowing your fondness for the NY style, a food processor or bread maker is a good choice. I have posted on the subject on a few occasions and can provide links if you are interested.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »
Thanks Chau and Peter.
I will reply back more soon.Pete I have already read the old links,so they have been helpful before.

I have a few questions but gotta run out for a few.
 :-D

-Bill

Offline ninapizza23

• Hap pye faces from Venice
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
chickenparm,
 for a small mix like yours you can  use a bread machine just to mix  or better yet by hand.
If you decide on the bread machine Bed Bath and Behond has one for $69 and with a 20% coupon, it will cost you $55. I used to have a Cuisinart food processor and the motor burned within 3 months making dough. It's your decision !

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:18:26 AM »
Thanks Nina!

Right now I'm doing some more homework...I'm reading website info and watching youtube videos on bread mixers,food processors,dough mixers and etc.

Buying a bread mixer or machine looks like a good possibility as well.Not really worried about the money and cost that much,but don't mind saving some if I'm not going to use a certain mixer or machine all the time.
Just want something reliable in the end,and if it means to spend a little more,thats ok.

I'm off to watch a few more videos and read a little more...thanks again to everyone for their ideas.I had a bunch of questions but I'm worn out tonight...will write more here soon.I'm very thankful to everyone as always.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 11:53:19 PM »
Hey folks,I decided on a bread machine for now.I'm still looking at different models to choose from,and IF down the road,I feel to move onto a mixer like the Bosch,I will try that.Yet for the time being,this looks like its going to do what I need.

Chau,I wanted to reply to you,I use KA bread flour to make pizza dough,and recently bought some KA AP flour to try out this week.I'm still hand mixing,but when I get a machine,will see if it can mix and knead the dough enough to make me happy.I also want to try out making some home made bread or bagels with it as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.Will keep you posted how things go and work out.

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 05:27:40 AM »
oster 5845 bread machine.

makes 4.5lbs of dough in 20mins if you babysit the process.

cost is usually free, people throw them out all the time

:-D :-D :-D
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
Thanks all! Im sure I will find plenty to choose from.Just not gonna pick through trash bins or search consignment stores either.
 ;D
-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
Garage sales. You can probably buy them all for less then the price of one new machine. My next bread machine will be purchased this way or at a "goodwill" store.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 10:21:32 PM »
Thanks again for the suggestions.I'm not worried about their cost too much,Id rather buy a new one than a used unit..plus the new comes with a warranty.
They are cheap enough new as they are for the most part.
-Bill

Offline BTB

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
I do mostly hand mixing, but my second choice would be my food processor, esp. for low hydration recipes.  While I have an average size kitchen, storage of big mixers and bread machines is problematic, esp. when their use is infrequent, at least to me.

--BTB

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »
Thanks BTB.

I have a small kitchen as of now.I don't have a lot of kitchen items to take up counter space,and the bread machines I looked at are not very large so I think I should be ok.I do not plan to buy anything huge either.

If all else fails,I will get the Bosch mixer and make more dough!
 :-D
-Bill

Offline djbrent

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 08:17:23 PM »
Went scouring the thrift stores for a bread machine today. Went to several stores but no luck. Then I happened across a new thrift store and found 4 of them. Jackpot!! They were all disgusting. Only one had been cleaned, the rest had crust and gunk in the bowl, and the outside looked like they had been sitting in garage for 3 years.

I was grossed out, and will now probably buy a new one.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:47 PM »
DJ,
I made a topic about the bread machine here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13149.0.html

That said,since I got this Oster bread machine,I am 100% happy with it.It does a great job and Im very happy with the consistency of the dough mix coming out the same if I use the same recipe each time.

I still haven't gotten around to making bread or bagels with it,I'm having too much fun making pizza dough with it so far.

I make one doughball or sometimes enough to make 2.Then I let the dough cold rise for 2 days or so.Works well and is enough for the amount of pizzas I make at a time.I have learned a few things using these machines,if you get one,Let me know.I made a few bad doughs at first,then learned what I needed to do.

Just buy a new one,they are cheap as heck and ya don't have to worry about using an old nasty machine that is contaminated like you found in a thrift shop.

-Bill

Offline djbrent

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
I found a kitchenaid classic on craigslist for $65. picked it up friday evening. seems to be in good shape and works well so far. made one small batch of pizza dough and a cake. only came with the paddle, but i ordered a dough hook for $12 from amazon.

i can now mark that off of my bucketlist, i've always wanted one.

Offline Chet

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 05:03:43 PM »

I was at a local thrift store yesterday, there was a new brand new Oster model 5833 for under $7 since I already have about 15 of them, I passed on the deal,  gave most of them away to my kids and relations, I am down to about 8 of them, My favorite is the Breadman Ultimate, this has good power. deep pan and does not generally bog down when get into around 4 pounds plus. I started using bread machines around 3 yrs ago, and yhey do the trick for me, my next step is to make a dough mixer, still working on the plans and looking around for the right size stainless bowl, I am going to build a fork type. I am constantly looking for a Zijourski double paddle model, but these don't come cheap. I don't like to pay over $5 for a breadmaker, my Breadman Ultimate cost me $5 last year and I use it heavily, mixed around 75lb of flour thru this one so far. I also use one for roasting coffee, I roast 1 lb at a time. use to use a hot air popper, thet took for ever to do a lb of coffee, I can roast 1 lb in 12 minutes with the breadmaker set up.

Chet

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:00:18 AM »
I don't like to pay over $5 for a breadmaker, my Breadman Ultimate cost me $5 last year and I use it heavily, mixed around 75lb of flour thru this one so far. I also use one for roasting coffee, I roast 1 lb at a time. use to use a hot air popper, thet took for ever to do a lb of coffee, I can roast 1 lb in 12 minutes with the breadmaker set up.

Chet

Can you perhaps give some details on how to use a bread maker to roast coffee?  I roast coffee in a small air popper but just a few ounces at a time. One pound at a time would be a big improvement for me. So if you can let me know how you do it I would appreciate it. 

Regards, 

Tin Roof

Offline Chet

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
Tin Roof

It is easy as cake, I disposed all my hot air poppers, right now Harbor Freight has a sale going here on the east coast, their regular $20 heat gun is on sale for $9.99 and if you have the 20% coupon you get it for $8, I purchased 2 of them 2 yrs ago, next look for a smaller 1lb bread machine, a 1 1/2 lb model will work too, you can get these for under $2 most thrift stores or yard sales, I you have some elec knowledge, you will need to wire a switch into the bread machine to run the motor only disconnect the 2 wires for the heater, most bread machines start in a jog mode, this is not good for roasting coffee it will burn the beans when stopped, so that is why you need to make it run constantly, it is a simple mod, if you don't want to do the mod, you can also put the bread machine in dough mode let it run a few minutes after running in the jog mode it will automatically run, this is when you drop in a pound of beans and start to roast, other mods are you have to fabricate a simple stand to hold the heat gun aiming down at the beans, using  thermometer I sometimes have to switch the heat gun back to low heat if the bean temp rises too fast around the second pop is when I turn it to low, once you roast a few lbs you will get the hang of it, also before you do your first roast, you might have to modify the paddle, so when you run the bread machine with green beans in it they don't get under the paddle and stop the machine, I had to file the bottom of the paddle boss down a bit so the actual paddle was real close to the bottom of the pan, you want to keep this to a minimum so beans won't lodge under the paddle.

Chet
attached is a video, check it out, any questions let me know.

http://coffeealera.com/make-a-coffee-roaster-with-a-heat-gun-and-a-bread-maker/

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
Thanks very much for that info.  I will order up a heat gun and give it at try. 

What do you use for the stand to hold the gun and how do you cool down the beans?