Author Topic: MY latest sicilians  (Read 2402 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
MY latest sicilians
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:24:50 AM »
seems like thick pizza is making a comeback this week.  well good news because the last 15lbs of dough i made has been for same-day, 2-4 hour sicilians.  this sicilian pictured, is two 35oz doughballs in 14x10 pans.

950g flour, walmart AP
136g VWG, bobs redmill
(total combined protein was 16.4% i believe.  VERY chewy and very flavorful.  best i ever tasted)
70g straight olive oil
750g water,  about 85f
20g salt, kosher
16g sugar, walmart
22g yeast, fleishmans ADY 1lb foilpack

mixed it all in my oster bread machine, took about 22 mins until dough looked mixed.  mixing 4.28lbs of dough in a 2lb bread machine is quite a babysitting chore.  pre-mix pulse is useless, after it switches to full-mix i have to 'stir' the dry and wet together to get the tiny 2lb mixer paddle to incorporate it all together.   

mixed it up let it proof out until it doubled in size.

used a 50/50 sauce of jo-de prepared pizza sauce with oil, and samsclub diced tomates cooked down with garlic basil parsley black pepper garlic and oil.  mashed the tomato chunks with a potato masher until they were uniform sauce quality.      topped them with stella 50/50 mozz, and the other with 50/50 and margherita pepperoni, pennsylvania dutch mushrooms, and hand-cut black olives.   sprinkled 1/2oz of romano on sauce of each pizza before topping.

alternated every5mins of bottom rack/second most bottom rack with these two.   took about 18mins baketime, non-convection

Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
Re: MY latest sicilians
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
Those are two nice expressions of the classically American take on Sicilian pizza. I really like the way the second one is topped from a presentational point of view- its appearance makes one want to stuff one's face with pizza ;D

What temp were they baked at? Also, as a matter of curiosity, what's the strategy behind alternating between top and bottom racks- does that give a result that's different from just leaving it on the middle rack the whole time?

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:35:18 PM »
Those are two nice expressions of the classically American take on Sicilian pizza. I really like the way the second one is topped from a presentational point of view- its appearance makes one want to stuff one's face with pizza ;D

What temp were they baked at? Also, as a matter of curiosity, what's the strategy behind alternating between top and bottom racks- does that give a result that's different from just leaving it on the middle rack the whole time?

JLP

the pans were very dark/seasoned 18x13 pans, steel and stamped MADE IN USA.  they are from the 50's.   i alternate my pans because a 18x13 pan an oven that has a footprint internally of 17x22 is very lacking in room for heat to reach both sides of the pizza.     i have to alternate the pizzas between the bottom two most racks, because simply the heat does not get between them.  i will have one with a burnt crust and soggy toppings, and one with an undercooked raw crust and super well done burnt toppings.

the crumb was smashed by the cutter somehow though.  it was between store bread and tartine bread crumb.

Offline Jose L. Piedra

• Ebeddu e cavuru, e beddu davveru!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
Ok I get it now, thanks.

JLP
Scarsu d'ogghiu, e riccu di provolazzu ::)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:24:23 PM »
forgot the temp.  i cook screened pizzas at 550 and pan/sicilians at 440-475 depending on how thick they are