Author Topic: Bread making machine modifications  (Read 786 times)

Offline kiwipete

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Bread making machine modifications
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »
I have been using a second hand bread maker to make my dough with for about 4 or 5 years now. I don't think I've ever used it for anything else other than dough mixing.

I quite like them because they mix relatively slowly compared to lots of other options, and they are dirt cheap. (Ideally I'd like 28 rpm fork mixer, but that's a whole different league)

The only thing I never liked about my bread maker is that the dough making cycle has a few stops and starts and rests etc before it goes into a continuous mixing phase.  Also it doesn't go long enough and finishes sometimes before the dough is ready, so I have to re-start the dough cycle again (and the stops and starts again etc.. you get the picture).

What I really wanted was a bread maker that starts mixing when I switch it on and keeps doing that until I switch it off. So I started doing some searching on the internet and found some really cool info on modifying bread makers. http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=528.

I had a go at it, and my bread maker now works exactly the way I want it too.

The re-wiring was not too difficult and most people should be able to do this.

The usual caveats apply: You're dealing with mains power, so be safe rather than sorry, and if you're not comfortable doing it, get a buddy who knows a bit about electronics to do it for you.

Hope its of use to somebody, it certainly was for me.

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: Bread making machine modifications
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 04:38:11 AM »
my oster bread machine has a 9 minute 'pulse' mix, followed by a 22minute full mix.  unless i am making the max of 4.25lbs of dough i feel comfortable making in it, it is 100% mixed and ready to go in 15 minutes of the 'main' mix cycle.   

the pulse is useful.  no element heat, and lets the gluten develop.  the 22min full mix cycle holds the element temp at 90f

i like to preheat it for 90 seconds on 'steam' or one of the other 'bake' cycles it has.  steam i can do up to 8 hours of full temp baking, which is about 270f according to my oven thermometer.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan