Author Topic: Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Trailers  (Read 10895 times)

Offline pizzamanmike

• pizzamanmike
Re: Mobile Wood Fired Pizza Trailers
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
Grimaldi, TFW offered me 5K for a trailer that was 6 months old, since you are a builder of Mobile WFO's Why is all you info hidden? Why not tell us your web site? If you listened to the Video I stated that the dome was built very well, also TFW only took care of stucco, I was more surprised that FB sent a new floor even when I told them it was not the product that failed it was the installation. any their will be many more posts relating to this . A few of the TFW customers are waiting for repairs. I time we will all know if this is for real or just Builder A and Builder B getting rid of some dirty laundry. also I believe this should all be on the other post where it started not on wannabeapizzaman's quest for information.

Offline Beatricesinferno

• Beatrice's Inferno
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »

Grimaldi,

If you could get that trailer sold in that condition and get it passed by health departments. There would be a  bunch of people who would sell or trade into your company! What's the web site or company name?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:19:53 PM by Beatricesinferno »
Jason

buceriasdon

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 07:27:15 PM »
Run away! Run away! It's the thread that will not die!

Offline Grimaldi

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »

Grimaldi,

If you could get that trailer sold in that condition and get it passed by health departments. There would be a  bunch of people who would sell or trade into your company! What's the web site or company name?

Hmmmm...didn't the owner of the oven make the claim that he was offered 5k for the WFO? That sounds like a fair offer for a flooded trailer. Was that trailer yours? Are you in that video? 

I don't believe Health Departments pass open food trailers of any kind. Licensed caterers and temporary event vendors can use them under some circumstances, but you probably know all of that. Anybody that thinks they can get an open trailer licensed as a mobile food establishment hasn't done any homework.     

As I said before, the trailer looks like it was flooded. The commentary throughout the videos emphasized how wet everything was, to the point of squeezing water out of the ceramic insulation in the dome, a women in the background stating it even smelled wet...she said moldly, the base was all saturated...lots of signs...but none of the people in the video come flat out and say the trailer was flooded...all the hem hawing about all the signs of flooding with no conclusive statement.

I'm not selling my ovens to the general public at this time, but I make virtually indestructible mobile WFO's, that burn like furnaces, weigh over 3000lbs, and hold high temps for days :] When I get my production beyond one-off, I'll solicited business and publish my website.

This thread interests me because of all the illogical assertions, hidden motives, and the videos of the destruction of a WFO that he was offered 5k for, but instead choose to tear it up and advertise it.  :-D       

Offline Beatricesinferno

• Beatrice's Inferno
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
Grimaldi,
Not my trailer nor was I in the video! I believe it was pizzamanmike's that was offered the money not Korey. Korey traded it into pizzamanmike's for a new trailer. I did however have the next size up unit from TFW, The oven was facing the side and then you have a cargo area for a 60 inch prep table. My unit was not flooded, but did have problems with floor, heat retention and water in the dome,floor and cargo area under the oven, ramps and stucco cracks, wrong color and the busted floor.  I guess anything is possible, as far as the flooding. But, there are other owners with water issues and heat etc. They all can't be flooded.  Maybe,  Korey will chime in as the owner of the oven that was traded and cut up!
I know he is listed on the FB site, and posted on the other removed thread. I still would be interested in seeing your set up when ready. In our area you could get the open units lic. Then it changed and they would not even grandfather you in. All we needed was a portable sink, we went with a four bay with insta hot. There are still other owners that have the units lic, but it's changing!
Jason
www.beatricesinferno.com
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:52:33 PM by Beatricesinferno »
Jason

Offline New Oven from PizzaMan M

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:09:32 AM »
Not exactly sure why the thread was deleted or why there is so much controversy???
We are all brothers in the fraternity of making pizza.  For sure, it is not an easy approach to making pizza.  But most of us know that it is not for the faint of heart.  You have to be extremely resourceful, and be able to manage all the difficult comings and goings.  I've been cooking through some of the most challenging pacific north west weather you can imagine.  I've brought my new oven through some difficult back roads for specialty catered events with well over 20" of fresh snow on the road, and cooked until 4 in the morning.  We don't have any hurricanes here, nor do we have any tsunamis that can potentially flood cars up to the roofs.  We have rain, and snow.  Pretty much common all through the winter.  As well as sub zero temps  (Celsius that is).  And, one thing for sure, nothing is indestructible up here.  Everything, needs plenty of tlc and being mindful of one's self and one's neighbours.  We all try and help each other out here.  And, in response to our fellow pizza men and women, there is a great wealth of knowledge that can be shared and tapped into, especially on a professional site like this.  And, one piece of information that seems to be underscored, is the importance of having equipment that  will suit our individual needs in our respective cities and countries.  The vending arena is evolving and it is doing so at a frantic pace.  A lot of original ideas and business plans are simply not fitting into current rules and regulations.  As a fellow group of business men in this industry we have to help each other out to succeed.  If we all tow the line and put our best foot forward it paves the way for acceptance.  And part of that acceptance comes with sacrifice.  As such, the new trailers that are being built with appropriate services and requirements will be the new standard and this standard will be our imperative for ultimate success.
   I can't emphasize the impressive difference between the two ovens.  The quality of heat retention and the overall design are light years ahead of the old trailer.  This comment is made as a success story, to encourage others who are just starting in the business to seriously consider their options.  In the end, you want to have staying power in this business, and establish yourself and your product as the real deal.  Your customers will see that right away and continue to frequent your business and establish their loyalty in your life's enterprise.

Offline Beatricesinferno

• Beatrice's Inferno
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »
Korey,
I thought you covered it well in this post!

(Korey's post below)

I have looked at the incredible response from fellow pizza makers, and pizza oven builders.  And, am very thankful to be a part of this forum.  And, I believe that anyone who shares the experience of cooking pizza especially in a non typical restaurant situation, share a special camaraderie.  Also, I suspect that there is an overwhelming sense, of how is it possible to be competitive yet compassionate when it comes to our individual business.

As such, I would like to respond in kind.  As, I have been working steadily to join into this fraternity of extreme pizza making.  I say extreme, because everything is more complicated and time is essentially critical in cooking pizza outside of a restaurant.  And, I am proud to say that it has come with the help of fellow pizza men like yourselves.

But more on topic.... I am in the possession of a masterpiece from Pizza Man Mike.  Every detail, all his time, and, all of his energy went into this project.  In fact, he took the project to the next level with making the oven SPIN!

However, when all is said and done, people keep asking me what is the difference between my old oven, and my new oven?  In a word LOTS!  In fact, the requirements to cook pizza at events,  on vending corners, and in Harsh winters, requires a lot of important details.  These details were met quite specifically and with success.  In addition, I want to point out the biggest change.  And that is with the oven.  There is no comparison between the oven I had before and the oven I have now.  It is simply night and day.  Pizza perfect all the time.  I didn't realize that I could cook so evenly, and with dependable results.  The oven I had before would either Char the bottom of my pizza, or leave the bottom of the pizza uncooked.  It was a constant struggle to balance the overall heat in the oven, with the floor drastically fluctuating in temperature.  I had made inquires over this issue with the manufacture time and time again.  Now, I no longer have this issue.  And at the heart of the matter, the bottom line is your pizza product.

I am coming on this forum to set the record straight.  And, if anyone else out there has had these same problems with their oven's floor.  I encourage  you to try cooking in a different oven.  The magic of the oven isn't just the chef, the wood, or the style or type of the oven, but more specifically it is truly in the floor.  If the floor is able to consistently retain heat, than you've got magic in the oven!

I hope that this post will bring our community closer together, and work on solutions for future pizza lovers to make their dreams come true too.

I'm glad to hear your new oven is working out for you!
Jason
www.beatricesinferno.com

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:28:52 PM by Beatricesinferno »
Jason

Offline fritznewton

• Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. Do pizza!
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
I can't emphasize the impressive difference between the two ovens.  The quality of heat retention and the overall design are light years ahead of the old trailer.  This comment is made as a success story, to encourage others who are just starting in the business to seriously consider their options.  In the end, you want to have staying power in this business, and establish yourself and your product as the real deal.  Your customers will see that right away and continue to frequent your business and establish their loyalty in your life's enterprise.

Thanks for the post and words encouraging a sharing community.  Since you had another oven, and mention the difference between the two, would you mind expanding on what ovens you were/are using?  What was the difference that makes the new one so successful (in your opinion)?

Offline New Oven from PizzaMan M

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »
Excellent question.

I guess at the heart of the matter, people want to know how different two ovens, which are designed to cook pizza in a relatively similar manner could really be so different.  The fact is, that, they are.  The process to get your oven to temperature is similar in all respects.  Kindling, matches and larger pieces of wood.  The process to maintain your oven is also similar:  maintain your fire on a particular side of the oven and make room to place your pizza on the other side, and continue to add wood.  So, how would you ask, could there be any major difference?  A fair question.  And in response, I would like to explain my experience with the first oven as well as my experience with the second oven.
   Initially, both ovens fire up well.  There doesn't seem to be much difference in either of the two ovens when it comes to lighting a fire.  And, bringing the ovens to temperature (for cooking) is similar, but with one major difference.  The floor on the first oven gets to temperature a lot quicker, and begins to lose temperature at a much more rapid pace.  After cooking a couple of 16", the floor temp departs quickly.  And compensating by adding more wood in the oven, raises the overall temperature but the floor begins to spike to high.  The floor picks up the heat to rapidly and then starts to burn the next couple of pizzas on their bottom.  After the dough robs the floor from this heat, it starts to mellow out for another set of pizzas, before dramatically losing its heat again.  So to recap:
1) at start up floor is at moderate heat
2) after first set of pizza, the floor begins to lose heat dramatically
3) after more wood is added, the floor jumps to temp that are to high
Conclusion:  The floor is not maintaining a relatively consistant temperature.  Result, undercooked pizza, or burnt pizza for the majority of sets.  A huge juggling match, where you are constantly fighting to get an even keel with temp in oven, and on floor.
The second oven on the other hand, takes a bit longer to heat up.  Maybe 15 or 20 minutes longer.  But after the wood is pushed aside, and oven is at temp, the floor miraculously cooks sets of 16" with a dependable cooking time and a longer period between sets.  Adding wood doesn't spike the floor as it did in the first oven.  Pushing large pieces of wood over the floor in between cooking sets to maintain floor heat can be done as well.  But overall,  cooking the pizza in the beginning, during a 4 or 6 hour catering/market event, is genuinely an even keel. 
This is just my experience, with these two ovens.    However, there is more to the story.  I have a kitchen with the new oven and did not have a kitchen with the first oven (I had to create a makeshift kitchen on the grass, under the tent).  And, as I said in an earlier post, this is not the standard.  Nor, will be allowable in the near future (at least not in my area). Health officials are tired dealing with fly by night tent vendors, that are not in compliance with their strict rules and regulations. 
   As such, I would suggest to anyone who is interested in starting this business, or continuing in this business to ask the difficult questions, and be persistent with determining what exactly you need, in order to start a mobile wood fired business.  Or even if you are a pizza hobbyist, looking to tinker around with a mobile oven, be sure to ask lots of questions and find out which oven is going to work best for you.  I hope this is helpful.

All the best

K

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

Offline fritznewton

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Just so I can see another pic with a dude holding his junk and a sword what brand of ovens are you comparing?  NOT the builder but the oven brand?

buceriasdon

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:13 PM »
lol, It's called beating a dead horse much like this thread.
Don

Just so I can see another pic with a dude holding his junk and a sword what brand of ovens are you comparing?  NOT the builder but the oven brand?

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
Lol nice pic pizza police. 

Fritz,
You can see the brands of ovens on their respective sites.

Offline fritznewton

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 05:04:58 AM »
Lol nice pic pizza police. 

Fritz,
You can see the brands of ovens on their respective sites.

I thought it was a pertinent question.  Just interested in the type of oven not the builders.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
I thought it was a pertinent question.  Just interested in the type of oven not the builders.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't pertinent, just that you can see the oven types on their websites.

Offline fritznewton

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't pertinent, just that you can see the oven types on their websites.

It is all good.   I just wasn't clear from Korey's post on the two ovens but when he gets a chance he can set me straight.  One of the sites mentions more than one oven.   Korey suggested trying to experience different ovens and that was my original curiosity.   

Offline Beatricesinferno

• Beatrice's Inferno
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Yes, you can see it on the sites.
But, that still does not tell us what Korey had,
on each trailer, was it two different manufacturers? Both sites sell FB and one sells two addition manufacturers. So the first tfw trailer was a FB, what model? And the new trailer, what's the make and model?
Jason
Jason

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
OKK killing me - P Man Mike clearly shows the type and model for newer trailer not sure on the roto even posts a link if you go to his site right?
Mugnaini 100 Oven for pup and caterer,  and FWI uses the forno bravo ovens exclusivly? also mentioned about 10 times
hope this helps.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire