Author Topic: cooks illustrated pizza margherita  (Read 2203 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
cooks illustrated pizza margherita
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:38:34 AM »
 last months cook illustrated had a quick  pizza stone margherita that look interesting . it consisted of 8 oz a/p flour, 4 oz cake flour , 2 teaspoon yeast, 4 teaspoons sugar 1.5 teaspoons salt, 8 oz of water. the salt at 1.5 teaspoons came out to 20 grams 4 percent so i cut it to 8 grams, 2.3 percent. i used fresh yeast 4 grams. the dough proofed about 6 hours before baking and i think hydration was 66 percent .
 the sauces that they suggested was typical neapolitan. i used plum tomatoes no can juices , evoo, pepper, basil, salt.
  i used mozzarella from curd diced then frozen to keep it from burning during the extended bake time.
 the dough made three 8 oz balls. i have a little cusinart oven that has a 12 inch stone so i use a 11 inch peel and stretch to the edges. the oven only gets to 500 degrees and i put the stone up towards the top elements to aid top browning. it takes about 7 minutes to bake a pie. the pizza was pretty good for a quick cook method. i felt the dough was a little sweet i would cut the sugar next time. the dough had good flavor and the overall pizza tasted more new york style.

Offline pizzard

Re: cooks illustrated pizza margherita
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:02 AM »
The pizza looks wonderful.

The cheese melted perfectly....so to be clear...you put the cheese on frozen? 

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
Tasty looking pizza!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Larry,

I agree, that is one tasty looking pie!   :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
thanks it was a quick experiment. pizzard, yes i randome diced my cheese then froze it for 10 minutes . i hate that dried white look of mozzarella that is cooked to long.

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi, Nice looking pie! There is a number of these recipes knocking around the internet using cake flour blended with A/P, and I have had good success with them. First time though I have seen sugar added, wouldn't be to my taste. My old toaster oven tops out at 430F. but I've been having fun experimenting with thin and crispy appetizer pizzas baked on a steel plate. Good job.
Don

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
i am going to try this again with only 1/2 teaspoon of malt to aid browning. this recipe was a little sweet.

pizzapan