Author Topic: Questions about cold fermention and somthing strange  (Read 1247 times)

Pizza01

Questions about cold fermention and somthing strange
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
if i want to put my dough in the fridge for 2 days or even 3
using this formula (notice the salt)
100% bf
60%water
1%sugar
1.5% oil
2.5% salt
how much cake yeast needed ?

i made dough today that i wanted to put in the fridge for 3 days i puted into the formula above 0.75cy ( if i puted idy i would put 0.25%) but after only 5 hours the dough at 150% rise, so i think it will go to far even tomorrow.

and the starnge thing that happen is well, i have been making pizza for 5 months now and the bf i used since that has the same expiration date, every time i bought it i look at it and its the same.
well, this week i bought 5kg of bf the same one and it has on it another date which lead me think naturlly this flour is from new harvest. so far so good.
when i made the batch using the same hydration of 60% water it felt like 70%! the dough was very sticy not like before.

can it be that because of the winter the flour would be diferent? the flour with the date before was made before the winter i am sure of that. that is got somthing to do with the absorbtion capability of the flour?
i was very glad that craig showed me the video dealing with very sticky dough, i handle the dough very well with this method.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Questions about cold fermention and somthing strange
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Michael,
Are you for sure,you did not add too much water by mistake?

I have done that before,I wrote down on paper the recipe and wrote the wrong amount of water down.

I ended up with a very sticky dough I had to keep adding bench flour until it was right.When I went back and looked at the paper,I said OHHHH thats why!!
 :-D
Check your notes again.Also,it may not hurt to make another doughball and see if it happens again,if you made no mistakes the first time.

I am very curious myself as to what happened with your dough.Im still kinda new to this all as well.When things go wrong,I don't always have the former experience to see right away what it was.You did not list your full recipe...Im assuming its for a dough no larger than 16 inch around?

-Bill

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
hey michael,

are you using ice water?

also, if you want a cold hydration, start with all cold materials... even the flour.  put the flour in the freezer the night before.

the idea is to delay the yeast.

bloom your cake yeast in a very smal amount of the water....  but ice the rest.

my recipe is about 65% hydration...  i use a biga (10%) and IDY at (.05%) .... and a 2-day rise.

i make the dough and bulk ferment it in a food container, submerged in an ice chest surrounded with ice for two days.

it rises.... but is totally fine at 2 or 3 days.

Good Luck! 

Pizza01

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:24:06 AM »
bill- the dough i made is for 4 pizzas of 13'' i used 1kg flour and every thing based on that, this morning the has double its size i devided into 4 balls and cover it with nylon which is thin layer ( last night the dough was at plastic conteiner)
i puted on the highiest shelf in the fridge, now its cooler i think it will be ok icheck before and after several hours it has retarted, i will check tonight if not i will make new batch. as for the water i am more then sure that i puted 60% water.

Frankie G- first of all i would like to say when i read your comment it was from my phone and i got the chance to look at your site and its amazing! i will look at it more when i will get the chance tonight.

as for the water temp i am puting water at 20cl i dont want to shock the yeast.
as for freezing the flour is it okay? i never tried it before.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:04:46 AM »
Thanks for the nice site comment. Much appreciated.

Freezing the flour?  Absolutely. Especially in summer

Pizza01

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
i puted at the fridge first maybe later on i will put in the freez.
the i made is ready for baking after 24 hours.
i will make new batch with 0.25% cy yeast for saturdays pizza.
i will update.

Pizza01

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
today at 10pm the dough was ready to bake if id leave it more it would gone to far so i decided to try it.
i took it out to room temp for 2 hours and heated the oven.
first pizza was just spreaded dough with nothing- it looked like a ballon, pita ballon after baking.
second one was with olive oil, dry oregano and 2 egg that i puted 2 minutes before taking out the pizza from the oven.
third one was sauce and dry yello scandinavian cheeze.
and the fourth was sauce, very very littel amount of grated dry mozz, tuna from a cann, tomatoes and fresh bazil.

i am sorry to say that after trying 24 hour room temp rise this dough was like eating half brick.
and it hasent gain color.
i am never going to do cold rise or refrigrating the dough in any way.
and we ate outside so there was no one to eat the pizza so after they were cool down a littel i freezed them.
i have to try heating them and see what will happen i am sure its not near of eating fresh pizza but i guess that if i want pizza in 15 minutes its better than domminos.
i will post the photos tommorow.
for this saturday i will make dough tommorow with 24 hours room temp rise.

Pizza01

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:58:21 AM »
here are the photos.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »
looks wonderful!

Pizza01

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
thank you frankie. :)

Pizza01

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
here is the first pita pizza that i forgot to upload.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
Nice Job! Love the different types you keep making!
 :chef:
-Bill

Pizza01

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
yep.  :) thank you bill. i think what i had tow days ago with the dough was maybe because i added the oil at the end, or maybe because the dough was heated a littel bit in the food proccesor. the dough i made today dident had that problem, but it still diferent i am sure its because of the rains that we had 2 months ago that affected the wheat and its absorb less water, that common sence.

pizzapan