Author Topic: Tacconelli's in Phila. Anyone been lately?  (Read 2992 times)

Offline bakerboy

• I Love Pizza!
Tacconelli's in Phila. Anyone been lately?
« on: April 27, 2005, 05:06:40 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has been to tacconelli's in the port richmond section of Phila.  They have been regarded as the best pizza in Phila. a bunch of times.  I'm planning on going the beginning of next week.  I don't know why i haven't been for so long.  They have a brick oven and you have to "order" your dough a day in advance by 2:00pm.
I figured i'd ask here because when i went to read some of the reviews they were SO mixed.  Really crazy.  I'll insert the url here so you can read them yourselves.  Its really quite funny.http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/8978738
hope the link is ok.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tacconelli's in Phila. Anyone been lately?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 10:45:21 PM »
I went there only once - maybe 15 years ago.  The gave us a burnt pizza.   >:(  That's about all I remember, other than it being a fairly thin crust.

Offline ghost

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:22:24 AM »
Its ok, it's not great. I like pizza by the Santucci brothers in Philadelphia, there is one in Port Richmond on aramingo avenue. They have a square pizza, but its thin, not sicilian style.  I also love Lorenzo's on South St. I can't identify what it is that they do with their dough.  Tacconelli's is ALWAYS burnt or has an unpleasant char to it, I don't know why its so popular.  (I grew up only a few blocks from them).

Offline trentonpieguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 04:11:11 PM »
I have not been to Phila, but i visited the Tacconelli's in Moorestown New Jersey.  I would recommend DeLorenzo's on Hudson St. Trenton for a great thin crust Tomato Pie. I found that The Tacconelli's in Moorestown was marginal compared to the Trenton Style thin crust variety I usually eat.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:04:44 PM »
I heard that there is a Lombardi's in Philadelphia.  They make a coal fired pizza.  Never been there myself though.
-JP-

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:18 AM »
The Lombardi's in Philly closed because that building is going to become a high end hotel.  They are taking the money they made from the deal and opening a second larger location in Manhattan.