Author Topic: sausage rolls  (Read 1888 times)

Offline karen

sausage rolls
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »
in my home town in indiana they have sausage rolls & i have asked for the recipe of course-i didn't get one- they are a cross between a stromboli & a calzone- they are closed at the top-about 8" long, 3 inches high & 3" wide-the crust is crunchy & semi thick-inside there is only miminal pizza sauce mixed in with the sausage-there is a layer of moz. cheese on the top- i would really like to make these at home since we no longer live there- 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: sausage rolls
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »
kinda like a croissant shape?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline karen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
no, they are retangular shape & the dough is crunchy-not soft like a calzone-it must have to be crunchy so that the pizza sauce/sausage mixture does not soak through the roll-they must roll it into a retangle shape & put the sauce/sausage filling  in the middle with the moz. cheese on top , fold the short ends over the filling & then bring the two long sides together & fold under-the trick is the right type of dough & the right type of mixture-inside-& then bake

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »
Peperonni,sausage and meatball Rolls are soooo easy too make....
I cut the pizza Dough in two parts and able to make 2 rolls at a time
Its better and cheaper to be able to make them yourself,,,I do add a tad of sauce to them....JT

Offline karen

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
what recipe do you use that the dough will be crispy after it's baked? do you use american or italian sausage? when you cut into the rolls at the resturant, it is completely filled-(no space, or very little   between the top of the filling & the dough)so it would have to be a dough that rises some, is crunchy-& a somewhat thick to keep the roll its shape-