Author Topic: Strong dough, wood oven  (Read 1788 times)

Offline pborutin

Strong dough, wood oven
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
I love cooking pizza in my restaurant, we have a wood fired oven that we use for a variety of tasks, but mainly pizza. I keep the deck around 750 and our pizza's usually cook in about 2:30 seconds. I know its not really Neapolitan but its hard to classify, not cracker like either. My hydration rate is around 50%, and we use a 50/50 mix KA Special and a 00 flour. We mix until the gluten is developed and do a short rest then ball it and put it into the fridge for 24 hours. I pull out a few at a time to make the skins. Because we are short staffed we usually have a few skins on hand that just need to be topped.

our goal is to have virtually no rise, and a dough that can support a bunch of great and heavy California toppings with out sagging. I need to make a really strong dough that can stand up to the toppings and will like a 24/36 hour usability range.

Thanks,

Phil

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Strong dough, wood oven
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:18:10 PM »
Sounds very interesting.  Do you have any pictures of the oven or finished pizzas that you can share?  This forum is fortunate to have a small handfull of pizza operators that share from time to time.  I would love to see your California topped pizza, please share.  What type of yeast do you prefer?  Thanks in advance Phil.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pborutin

Re: Strong dough, wood oven
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:32:35 PM »
I don't really take pictures, but we just use regular ady. We also don't really pay alot of attention to things like water temperature and those other factors.

pizzapan