Author Topic: Reverse Engineering Beau Jo's Mountain Pie Crust  (Read 9228 times)

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Reverse Engineering Beau Jo's Mountain Pie Crust
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
Now to do that nice beaujo's crust...take 3 fingers at the edge of the pan and cut that distance as a diameter around the entire pie:

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »
At the base cut a slit in the pie:

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
Then you begin folding part of the slit diagonally into triangles.  You fold it upwards and to the right with your right hand.  Then place your left hand at the tip of the triangle, while beginning to form the next triangle with your right hand.  You will do this all the way around the entire pizza to form the beajo's crust.

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »
Be sure you preheat your oven to 500 degrees.  That takes a while so get going as soon in the process as you can.

Now for the toppings.  I will show the firecracker since its one of our favorites.  For the firecracker pizza, they use La Nova Hot Wing Sauce and some commercially made ranch dressing in a quantity of 2:1.  We didn't want to order that stuff on line, so we made a great substitute that uses Frank's Red Hot Wing sauce and Kens Buttermilk Ranch dressing (which are easily found at Safeway and most major grocery stores) which ended up tasting identical.  Beaujo's uses those squeeze condiment bottles that you can get at Walmart for like .99, so we used those for safe keeping.  Of course thats not necessary, but we sometimes use that sauce for buffalo wing salads and on hot dogs, so its convenient.  Whatever you use, you fill up the bottle half way with Frank's Red Hot Wing sauce and then another 1/4 of the bottle with the Ranch dressing.  The Ken's is pretty thick, so you may want to water it down a little so it has a more liquidy consistency.  Mix it all together and shake the bottle really well to be sure it intermixes.  This will give you a creamy spicy hot-wing style sauce.  Yes, this is how BeauJo's does it.

You will also need to chop up about 4 fresh jalapenos and the cheese is monterrey jack and cheddar.  You will also need to have some chopped cooked chicken handy and cut into small cubes.

To make the fire cracker, put on the BeauJo's ranch/wing sauce you made, but don't over do it.  If you put on too much, the dough will come out soggy.  Then add the chicken and jalapenos.  Then add the monterrey jack, and then the cheddar.  Again, be sparing on how much you place on it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:38:08 PM by bojoMountainMan »

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
Beajo's uses a roller oven that is set to 457 and the pizza is cooked for something like 9 minutes.  At some of the higher altitude stores, they will set it at 500 and it will be a 7 minute run through the oven.  Most folks don't have a roller oven so your nicely preheated 500 degree oven will have to suffice.

Place it in the oven and try not to lose too much heat by leaving the door open too long.  Get that pizza in the oven quickly leaving that door open in as little time as possible.  The pizza pan with the holes should allow that crust to get nice and crispy.  You want to bake it for 7-10 minutes.  Keep your eye on it to see that the crust gets that nice golden brown look and the toppings have sufficiently melted.  You may also want to try putting the pie on a stone or pizza steel to help it retain that heat (we haven't tried it yet with this pizza, but I am guessing it would do well to help the bottom crust)... YMMV.

The finished product is below and it tastes identical (likely because its the exact recipe and most of the BeauJo process).  The crust has a light sweet taste to it.  For those who have never been to BeauJo's, their claim to fame is the put a squeeze bottle of honey at your table.  Many people eat the pizza and leave the crust on the side, then when finished, they squeeze a little honey on the crust and eat it as a desert.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:01:29 PM by bojoMountainMan »

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
I love the wheat crust and as stated before its a 50/50 of crushed wheat flour (I got that at Natural Grocers, but you can likely get it just about anywhere) and regular white flour.  That's how we made the firecracker shown previously.  2 of my kids don't like wheat nor any of those specialty pizzas like firecracker.  They like the white crust and more of a traditional tomato based pizza... so we made one of those as well with just white flour.

Beaujo's makes their own tomato sauce called "Beajo's Sauce".  They don't make it in house.  They get it shipped in from somewhere and its pre-made.  So that recipe I cannot get, but dissecting the taste, it seems to just be tomato sauce with oregano and some added sugar.  I was lazy on this pizza.  I just used straight tomato sauce from the can and sprinkled some oregano on it.  It tasted darn close, but just not as sweet.  I don't like sweet sauces anyways so that worked out fine for us.  You can add a Tsp of sugar and YMMV.

We were short on meats, so we used some cooked bacon and my kids love basil, so we put a lot of fresh basil on the pie, along with the usual mozzarella.

The process is identical to the firecracker, just using the different ingredients. Pics below:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:42:41 PM by bojoMountainMan »

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
and that's the process.  Would love to hear how it worked out for others.  Ours turned out pretty much identical... but then again, one of the BeauJo's cooks helped us make it.  I guess we are lucky to have one in our family. :)

Good luck!

Offline texmex

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
Very nice. Having never heard of this pizza, is it a crackery crust?
Reesa

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »
Very nice. Having never heard of this pizza, is it a crackery crust?

Not really.... its moist and chewy, but has a light crunch on the outside.  Its definitely a different taste from a traditional pizza.  Its the honey that does the magic.  All I can say its really good.

They have a cult following here in Colorado.  On weekends during the summer (or during the ski traffic times) the lines are out the door with an easy 45 minute wait for a table.  I think they have opened a couple of restaurants in some of the other mountain states, so they are certainly branching out.

Offline bojoMountainMan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2016, 12:28:52 PM »
Man vs Food did a piece on it:

You can see as they prep the pizza, its the same process as detailed in this thread.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 04:38:56 AM »
Thanks for the excellent explanation of the process and your pictures!  Very informative!