Author Topic: Appetizer pizza  (Read 4439 times)

buceriasdon

Appetizer pizza
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:01:56 PM »
So tonight I wanted to try my bar room thin and crispy dough on my LBE. This morning's dough( keep in the fridge before using) but it came really outstanding, much better than my puny toaster oven experiments. Have to try a 24 hour ferment now. Parbaked for a minute a side then topped with Italian tomato sauce,mozz, ham, canned mushrooms and orange pepper. Found it was better to dice the toppings more for more even topping per slice. 450F.
12" square pizza, rolled out then trimmed and docked. Loaded right on the tile.
210 grams all purpose flour
30 grams cornmeal
1 teaspoon IDY (half if 24 hour ferment in fridge)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
120 grams cold water
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:06:23 PM by buceriasdon »

parallei

Re: Appetizer pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:22 PM »
Lay that pie and a couple of cool ones in front of me and I'd be one happy fellow.  Nice work Don.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
Don,

Your bar room thin and crispy pizza looks delicious!  :)  What flavor does the added cornmeal give to the crust?

Nice job.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
Outstanding job Don. I must try this soon.

John

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »
Norma, Thanks, this all came about in my search for this month's challenge, baking on a steel plate in a toaster oven and never have made a bar room style pizza. The first couple I used baking powder for leavening, they were not to my taste at all. Made the switch to IDY. I wanted a different texture and not just a bread taste and not having semolina to work with went with cornmeal. The cornmeal just seems to go well in this recipe, the whole bar pizza thing. Sets it apart. I took a similar pizza to a party last Tuesday, invitation said bring an appetizer and though baked in the toaster, it disappeared before I even got a piece! Not one person firgured out what that different flavor was to the crust. When I open Pizza in Paradise hopefully next year something close will be on the menu.
Don

Don,

Your bar room thin and crispy pizza looks delicious!  :)  What flavor does the added cornmeal give to the crust?

Nice job.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
Norma, Thanks, this all came about in my search for this month's challenge, baking on a steel plate in a toaster oven and never have made a bar room style pizza. The first couple I used baking powder for leavening, they were not to my taste at all. Made the switch to IDY. I wanted a different texture and not just a bread taste and not having semolina to work with went with cornmeal. The cornmeal just seems to go well in this recipe, the whole bar pizza thing. Sets it apart. I took a similar pizza to a party last Tuesday, invitation said bring an appetizer and though baked in the toaster, it disappeared before I even got a piece! Not one person firgured out what that different flavor was to the crust. When I open Pizza in Paradise hopefully next year something close will be on the menu.
Don

Don,

I had played around with trying to make a verison of an Ultra-Thin 1/16th par-baked skin that I had tried at the NY Restaurant & Pizza Expo in NY,  though many posts first using yeast, then a combination of baking soda, vinegar, and milk.  Although I was able to make a par-baked skin, I never could get flavor in the crust.  If you want to get a laugh, you might want to look at this thread or parts of its.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11044.msg103280.html#msg103280 It took Peter and me 410 posts to find out the taste of the crust really wasn’t what I was looking for.

I then started another thread, using milk, vinegar and baking soda and tried again.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11427.msg104363.html#msg104363 Still with no good results in the taste of the crust.

Your method on using different techniques and trying different ways to go about achieving what you wanted in your final results is encouraging.  You sure did get what you wanted in far fewer posts than I did.   :-D  Congrats, on doing the experiments and coming up with a new way of baking a pizza and also finding the ingredients that were successful.   ;D  Your cornmeal approach sounds good in getting the flavor you were seeking.  You are right that the cornmeal sets your pizza apart from the rest.  I like your way of baking on a steel plate.  Since your experiments on a steel plate, I have tried my steel baking pan, with some good results.  Thanks for your experiments. 

I am sure if you open Pizza in Paradise, you will be successful from all your experiments.  I really like the name for a pizza business you picked.   :)

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
Hi Norma or Flo ;D Yea, I dabbled around with the milk, baking powder, soda and I came to the conclusion they may work for others but not for me. Thanks for the links as I also want to parbake, freeze, defrost and then top and finish baking so I found those posts to be illuminating.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:25:14 PM »
Hi Norma or Flo ;D Yea, I dabbled around with the milk, baking powder, soda and I came to the conclusion they may work for others but not for me. Thanks for the links as I also want to parbake, freeze, defrost and then top and finish baking so I found those posts to be illuminating.
Don

Don,

Lol, the Flo name I really like, but that is only when I go out.  At least you did the experiments to find out what you like.  Maybe you would have better luck than I did in trying to get a tasty frozen par-baked crust.  The par-baking did work out, but I never found a formula to get a good taste in the crust.  You might be on to something with using cornmeal.  :) I will watch for more results from your experiments.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
Norma, See I read those links so I knew about the alter ego nickname Flo :D My idea when I have the money to open is to have a daily salad and pizza lunch special that I can get out quickly with an inventory of par-baked skins to work with along with prepped salad makings. I had three parties to bring appetizers to in the middle of the month so there were days I was baking thin and crispy everyday to find a recipe that would please not only myself but others. Thankfully here at the hotel where I live and work I have coworkers who "helped" with their input. :-D I have a reputation locally for making the best pizza in Banderas Bay so I was working under a bit of pressure to come up with something different and excellent. I need a break but later this week I'll be testing the recipe to see how it holds up being par-baked, frozen and then finished.
Warm regards, Don

Don,

Lol, the Flo name I really like, but that is only when I go out.  At least you did the experiments to find out what you like.  Maybe you would have better luck than I did in trying to get a tasty frozen par-baked crust.  The par-baking did work out, but I never found a formula to get a good taste in the crust.  You might be on to something with using cornmeal.  :) I will watch for more results from your experiments.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
Norma, See I read those links so I knew about the alter ego nickname Flo :D My idea when I have the money to open is to have a daily salad and pizza lunch special that I can get out quickly with an inventory of par-baked skins to work with along with prepped salad makings. I had three parties to bring appetizers to in the middle of the month so there were days I was baking thin and crispy everyday to find a recipe that would please not only myself but others. Thankfully here at the hotel where I live and work I have coworkers who "helped" with their input. :-D I have a reputation locally for making the best pizza in Banderas Bay so I was working under a bit of pressure to come up with something different and excellent. I need a break but later this week I'll be testing the recipe to see how it holds up being par-baked, frozen and then finished.
Warm regards, Don

Don,

I see you did read those links.  If you want to call me Flo, that is okay with me.  I am getting sick and tired of my regular name.   :-D

I have also experimented some with par-baked pizzas in my preferment Lehmann dough thread and had some good results, but couldn’t ever get the sauce to taste the same after par-baking the pizza.  The finished pizza baked okay, but for some reason the sauce taste changed.  I had thought about trying to sell par-baked whole pizzas, but that idea never panned out.

You are really experimenting which is good, because now you found a recipe that does work.  It is nice you have coworkers that can help you out with being taste testers.  It is also good you are have a reputation locally for making the best pizza in Banderas Bay.  That should really help you when you decide to open a pizza business. 

I will be looking forward to see your results when you do your testing to see if your recipe holds up to being par-baked, frozen and then finished.  Best of luck!  ;D

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »
Norma, Oops, I mean to say only par-bake the skins then freeze, defrost and then top and bake. Mea culpa. I don't want to spend the time rolling the skin out, par-baking, topping then finish baking.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
Norma, Oops, I mean to say only par-bake the skins then freeze, defrost and then top and bake. Mea culpa. I don't want to spend the time rolling the skin out, par-baking, topping then finish baking.
Don

Don,

I understood what you had posted. You weren't the one that made a mistake. I had just posted I had tried another way, that really didn't work for me.  That way was trying to par-bake a whole pizza.

Sorry, I posted my reply to sound like something different.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:19:41 PM »
Norma, One of those "duh" moments but under Chicago style I found a recipe quite similar to mine using cornmeal. Someone posted to the thread today.        http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10644.msg124021/topicseen.html#new
I had never looked there as I thought it was a deep dish style. Live and learn.
Don

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:46 PM »
Norma, One of those "duh" moments but under Chicago style I found a recipe quite similar to mine using cornmeal. Someone posted to the thread today.        http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10644.msg124021/topicseen.html#new
I had never looked there as I thought it was a deep dish style. Live and learn.
Don

Don,

I have those “duh” moments too!   :-D  This forum has so many posts about different kinds of pizzas and I can’t keep up with all of them either.  Let me the forum know how your testing goes.  You are really learning how to make many kinds of pizzas.   ;D

Norma

pizzapan