Author Topic: Which of these cans do you recommend?  (Read 3254 times)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
Which of these cans do you recommend?
« on: January 07, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
I've been making pizza for a couple years now, slowly picking up new items and new tidbits of information and experience to make things better, but just recently I found this sight and my horizons have just widened ten fold.

I've never ventured into making my own sauce and for once I'd like to give it a try.  Should be simple and probably easier to master than dough or baking right?  ;)  Anyways I found this Italian delicatessen/bakery near my work and they seem to have a pretty big choice of canned tomatoes and I'm not sure which to use or if I could any of them, and whether or not the difference in prices actually makes a difference in quality.  I was also unsure as some included basil and others not, and I didn't know if that mattered.

Here's what they also had:
Rega (San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes)  28oz - $3.98
Rega (Peeled Tomatoes - from Organic farming) 28oz - price? (maybe $3.69, I think they were miss placed as the tag right below said La Vella)
Lola (Pomodori Pelati Italiani)  28oz - $2.98
La Valle (San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes, tomatoe puree w/ basil leaf) 28oz - $3.69
Cento (Italian Peeled Tomatoes) 28oz -$3.49
Nina (Italian Peeled Tomatoes, w/ basil leaf) 2lb 3oz - $3.59
6 in 1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes (w/ added extra heavy puree) 6lb 9oz -$8.98

Alternatively they had:
Cento (can) - Pizza Sauce (Fully prepared) 15oz - $1.89
Ferrara (jar) - Pizza Focaccia Sauce 16oz - $3.89

I have pics of all and can upload them later if anyone is curious.

Thanks!

Jon
Jon

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Which of these cans do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
You may have to try and taste them all yourself.

I have not been able to sample every one those cans you listed,but in my little sauce making experiments with store bought cans and a few supplier products,There is sometimes a night and day difference in taste and quality,even when 2 different cans are by different suppliers are supposed to be sold as equals.They never are.

For example,I found a can of crushed tomatoes I liked a lot.Thought it made a good sauce.

Then,I tried another different brand of crushed and it blew away the first one I thought was good.Now the first one tastes BLAH compared to this second one.Without doing personal tests,I just had no idea the differences were.

To me,I simplified cans of tomatoes,purees and sauces this way:

Its like coffee...no 2 brands are the same,yet they are all coffee products.Some taste real good,some taste nasty.Got to keep experimenting/tasting until you find the one you truly like.

Sorry I could not answer you directly...I am still searching for that one product that will give me the best every time.I have a few early picks but have not tried the others out there yet,even the ones you listed,before I can say its the best ever.

6 in 1 ground is thus far my favorite tasting and a excellent base.But my sauce skills are lacking so Im not able to make it into a sauce Im dying for just yet,but is very good.I have tried centos and it did not impress me.I actually like the walmart great value puree better than the centos can!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:29:52 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »
Jon
6 & 1's have a lot of fans and La Valle SM have been written about favorably as well.  I think I read that Difara's may be or has used La Valle's.  Your post reminded me I have a can of these in the pantry myself that I have yet to try!
At one time there was mention of Cento's (not SM) with ROP stamped on the top of the can being good.
Don't recognize any of the others but you could try a forum search to see if any have gone before you with any of these.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
its ROA that you should look for on the top of cento cans.     If you have one of those it should be much better than the lavalle, and one of the best italian tomatoes without spending crazy money.    I really like 6 in 1's as well.   Good luck!   
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:33:04 AM by scott r »

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »
6-1's is my go to for pizza.  They are consistently flavorful and fresh tasting.  I've purchased San Marzano tomatoes by the case and found they can be hit and miss. 
Good luck.

Offline Williamgag

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »
Rega canned tomatoes are mind blowing ! Don't look at others , buy them  ;)

Offline fireman117

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
Jon,
Like you I don't have a lot of experience, but I've used the 6 in 1 brand a few times, and I think it's a really good starting point. Good color and IMO a very fruity focused taste.

Also, I see on the forum threads the Wal Mart brand keeps popping up.  I haven't tried them but maybe someone could respond to that.

Here's a link that was posted by Norma that I came across the other day while looking for a sauce recipe. It is forum member Les' recipe and it looks real good, and uses the afore mentioned 6 in 1 tomatoes. As a matter of fact I'm going to make a batch of it up this weekend.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063
Eric

PS you should be able to find the 6 in 1 in a 28 oz. can.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, the sheer size of the 6 in 1 can (6 lbs) threw me for a loop as I couldn't fathom using that much before it went bad.  I need to find out how to freeze sauce maybe (or does that deteriorate the flavor?).

I've had a sheer lack of time issue lately and so haven't been able to make anything yet, but will post how things went once I get a chance.
Jon

Offline Chet

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »

I made pizza tonight, and I tried a #10 can of RedPack Pizza sauce..someone mentioned awhile back, that they were horrible, I have to agree with him, I added some garlic and a few spices and even right out of the can. only reason I tried them is because there is a pizza place in PA that uses this sauce and the pizza is excellent, so what ever they are adding, I can't even come close.

Chet

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 12:23:24 PM »
6 in 1 is tops for me. I buy the big cans when I know I'm making extra for freezing, but smaller (20 oz?) cans are out there.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
6 in 1 is tops for me. I buy the big cans when I know I'm making extra for freezing, but smaller (20 oz?) cans are out there.

Can you elaborate on how you freeze the extra, or point me to where this might have been discussed before?

Thanks!
Jon

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:02 PM »
Can you elaborate on how you freeze the extra, or point me to where this might have been discussed before?

Thanks!

What I meant is freezing pizza or pizza bread. I'll buy the #10 can when making dozens of pizza breads, freeze them and then vac-seal them and store in the freezer. The sauce itself, I have never frozen, but if I did, I would do it like my tomato paste--small containers with a bit of olive oil on top to prevent freezer burn.

pizzapan