Author Topic: Home Canned Tomatoes  (Read 909 times)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Home Canned Tomatoes
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:33:36 PM »
Tonight we made pizza with tomatoes we had canned.  Our tomato crop this year was very good and our pizza from fresh I thought could not be beat.  I think I was wrong.  The flavor was so good.

To can, we peeled and cut them in half or quarters and tried to remove what seeds we could then we put them in the jar and keep adding till we filled the jar without adding water or juice.  We added lemon juice as instructed. 

To make the sauce I diced them, reserving the juice for drinking, and warmed them a little then used a stick blender on them. 

I'm not sure I could ever go back to commercial canned but I wonder what would be close to these?

Tony

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Home Canned Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
Thats a tough call...home made stuff has got to be the best at times.I am looking forward to when the Amish farmers near my home town start selling their fresh home grown tomatoes come spring time.It flat out beats anything I can buy fresh from the local supermarket as well.Them folks grow the nicest,most tastiest tomatoes in our area.

If you are able to can your stuff at home,and really love it,I think you should stick with it.Truth is,no one can tell you whats better.I could easily say Escalon,Stanislaus,or San Marzanos is the best,but to You,it may not be any better than what you have home made already.You gotta buy some stuff and compare it to whats out there and to your product at home.Ive been doing that myself for a while,spending money and seeing what brands I like best.Its gotten a bit pricey at times,but I learned what brands I prefer.

-Bill

Offline cranky

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:20 PM »
You might try doing the same thing and freezing them. 

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »
What is amazing is that I think (home) canned was better then fresh!  Or maybe I'm imagining it?!   I should try to save one for pizza testing later in the summer when the tomato's come in.

Offline cranky

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »
What is amazing is that I think (home) canned was better then fresh!  Or maybe I'm imagining it?!   I should try to save one for pizza testing later in the summer when the tomato's come in.

Canned tomatoes are cooked tomatoes.  Pizza is cooked.  Fresh tomatoes on pizza end up being cooked tomatoes.  The best pizza sauce I made so far is with a combination of home grown frozen and homegrown fresh.  I cut tomatoes in wedges, remove seed packets and with a fish filet knife I remove the peel.  Then dice them up.  This takes a whole lot of patience.  Add this to a can of tomato sauce or puree, or frozen fresh and use immediately.   

pizzapan