Author Topic: creating my staters first time  (Read 5571 times)

Pizza01

Re: creating my staters first time
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
ok
the first one -  probably failed, maybe its because i closed the lid tightly at the begining, maybe just failed i dont know why but i dont think they will take off at this point. this photo has been taken aprrox 4 hours after feeding.

the second one - chau's recipe, on day three starting to activity  :) 4 hour also after pouring the liquids above and feeding it same amount of water and flour.

third one - acorrding to recipe on slice, today its one day after and there is no need to feed, just stirrining, so i stirred it very well.
as for now all 3 jar cover with plastic wrap.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:25:09 PM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
i think all three going to faild

first one has some white spots flowting on top of the liquid

second one seem to go down. yesterday it had some bubble to instead of seeing bigger bubble and more activity they look like they are sinkiing.

and the third from slice doesent show any activity, on slice they at this phase they are bubbly
later i will post photos :-\

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
I have read somewhere sometime ago that it can be common for you to see initial activity and then it settle down.  I think that initial activity is probably bacterial in nature but I can't find that link now.  Maybe someone who knows about this specifically can address it.  I would keep feeding your starters as planned. 

Pizza01

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
i feed every one as plan, and stirring them 2, 3 times a day after pouring hooch.
i think i saw before some activity. and i think i read somewhere also about this chau.
i am trying to stay patient.

Pizza01

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
well,
first one hasent burst and i am tired of feeding it, so poured it into the sink.

second one with the lemon juice i havent decided if it started to be more activeted or not but as for now it look like it has started, so i trying to feed it every six hours since yesterday morning and pouring the hooch. we'll see what happen...

as for the third from slice link
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/12/soudough-starter-along-day-6-how-to-make-sourdough.html
thats the one i am counting of.
will post updates.

Pizza01

« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
day 8 for slice recipe and it looks like it going slow but ok.
see photo.

as for second one chau's recipe it has past 10 days and it  started to be more bubbly and active about twices active from slice recipe.
i will update.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:30:45 AM by msheetrit »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
Micheal it looks like you are in a good place with both of them.  Start feeding them more often, like 4 hour intervals or as soon as they get active.  If they get active before the 4 or 6 hour time is up, then feed sooner.  Don't actually wait until the 4 or 6 hours is up. You can also up the amount of flour you are feeding if you'd like,  but match the weight in water.  When I use a 50/50 mixture by weight, it looks a lot thicker than what you are showing me so I'm a bit confused as to how you are measuring out the flour and water.   By the looks of it, you should have an active starter to use by today or tomorrow.

Don't forget, at this point you should be discarding about 1/2 or so before feeding.  The exact amount of discard isn't important.  The amount you refeed with will be up to you.  Basically you are using enough to bring it back up to the volume prior to discard.   

Good luck,
Chau

Pizza01

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
its very thick, this one i am feeding by weight 1 ounce each, water and flour.
the second one (with the lemon juice) i am feeding in amount that looks the same for my eyes, and you guessed it right the other that not showed here in photo is thiner, because i dident weight it.   

so discard half and feed about the same amount i pouring a way?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
Yes and feed as soon as it gets active and very bubbly.  When it gets active, rising about 2" or so within 2 hours of feeding and or floats in water, then it's ready to use. 

To do the float test, take a dallop of starter and drop it in a bowl of water.  If it floats, it's ready.  If it sinks, give the starter more time and retest.

Pizza01

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
ok.
when its ready it should go into refridgerator?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »
Yes after you use some, you can refeed and put it in the fridge until next time. 

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
I like to leave mine out for about an hour after I feed then put it in the fridge.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Pizza01

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:50 AM »
today somthing strange happened discarded half from the jar and fed it with the same amount, stirred it and then i saw half from the starter that was in jar on the counter!!! i look down on the jar and i saw a hole on the side of it!
luckly there was a clean jar from starters i poured the other day.

i dont know why it happened the jar was strong and made from glass it shouldent have breake unless there's material in the starters that weakens it.
so i manage to save it, but what could have caused it? i handled the jar with care its very strange.

when half from the jar was on the counter i could see how it lively and bubbly :)

this photo was taken before feeding after pouring half it doesent show on the photo but it very bubly it still doesent floating on water but it doesent melt in them like before and there's a change in the density of it its close but not yet.
by the way it the second one with thw lemon juice. but the third one is coming fast and i think day will be ready day or tow after this one is.

on the photo the second one with the lemon juice. day 11.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
It was just an old jar.  The starter didn't cause that.  Yes you want a semi thick  and dense consistency.  I still don't know why your starter looks so loose.  I'll post pictures later of what my active starters look like.

Pizza01

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 10:51:57 AM »
it looks loose but its not. the consisty of it is very thick it even require force to stirr.
and its not ready quite yet.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
I fed this last night around midnight and just took this picture...it's past the point where it'd float but it's very active and smells awesome!

It has a more uniform domed shape when it floats for me...

Mark

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »
it looks loose but its not. the consisty of it is very thick it even require force to stirr.
and its not ready quite yet.

Ok good.  It sounds like the consistency is correct then.  It should require some force to stir.  
Here is a picture of my active starter from a side view.

Post #1
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12824.msg125844.html#msg125844

Here is a link just posted by John in another thread.   Look at picture #3.  That is the starter (young leaven) as it is poured out.   This should pass the float test prior to using.  

http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/tartine-country-bread

Pizza01

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
acorrding to this on photo 3 mine is very loose, looser than that. this one is triple time thicker than mine.
i think it need another week in this paste.

Pizza01

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2011, 02:22:52 PM »
this one was taken after feeding it for chau to see the consisty of it.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2011, 08:06:12 AM »
Thanks for the picture Michael.  That consistency is correct.  I'll quite bugging you about the consistency.   :-D  I just want you to suceed.   

Stray Bullet posted a nice picture of what an active starter looks like above.  I just wanted to remind you that it doesn't have to have that many surface bubbles in order for you to use.  Since I've been using the float test from the Tartine book, I've been using my starters with less surface bubbles.

Here's a good picture of the float test that Mike posted in the Tartine country bread thread.

Reply #87
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12042.80.html

Chau

pizzapan