Author Topic: creating my staters first time  (Read 5919 times)

Offline StrayBullet

Re: creating my staters first time
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
Stray Bullet posted a nice picture of what an active starter looks like above.  I just wanted to remind you that it doesn't have to have that many surface bubbles in order for you to use.  Since I've been using the float test from the Tartine book, I've been using my starters with less surface bubbles.

Totally agree....when I use mine, a nice dome has formed with many less bubbles than pictured above.  I'll feed mine in a few minutes and around hour 3 or so, it should float and I'll grab a pic of the starter :)

Pizza01

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
i uper a bit the consisty i fed it with 1.5 oz flour with 1.1 oz water after discard half of the jar.

but i dont know it doesent look active to me and it doesent float.
i feed it every 12 hour because its not so active to feed every 6 hours.
maybe it the weather i feed it with 43 cl water.  :-\
the smell has changed into sweet sence.
chau thank you for all your help my friend.

Pizza01

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
second one slices recipe, float test:
it float for 3 second and then sink. i wonder when it will be ready what i should do with it because i dont know how to bake sourdough yet, i will refridgerated it until i will be ready to bake.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Here's what mine looks like 3 hours after feeding and the float test, when pinched out, it floats and stays there....

Pizza01

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »
i tested both of them now. the first one slices recipe is floating and stay there, thats from the jar on the right, this one i am only feeding once a day with ounce water and ounce flour and stirr once in a while. it started in 28.1, 10 days ago.
second with the lemon juice after 12 days. i am feeding it every 12 hours after pouring half and feeding the same amount of flour and water. today i uper a bit the flour amount, to up the consisty of it. i must say this one is thicker then the first one, about twices thicker. but it still not ready and it just sink. you can see on photo 1.
you can see the first one from the 28.1 on photo 2, its also bubbly. and the second one look a sleep on photo 3.

Pizza01

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
man the third kind slice recipe is realy starting to get active more, now its more floating.
i think i going to feed it again, i fed it 4 hours ago and up until now i used to feed in one a day.
or should i wait...? :-\
i still dont know what to do with it when it get fully active, feed it and store in the fridge?
its ok?
this one is from the 28.1

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
Michael you are welcome.  I hope you get at least 1 good starter from all this work.  I do find it odd that it has taken you 12+ days to get this far.   It usually takes me 6 days tops.  What type of water are you using?  Bottled or tap?

Pizza01

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
i use bottle water.
look whats happening 40 minutes after posting picture of it, i stirred gently with tea spoon, it starting...
its floating, its double bubbly.
i taste it :-D its sour
i can feel it  :-D
i dont know why its taking so long maybe i dont feed it on time so its going back to sleep.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
Yeah! Success....I'm very happy for you.  Now go make some thing with it. :-D

Pizza01

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 06:04:20 PM »
what should i do with it ?
feed it ?
is it ready ?
if its ready why it doesent rise?
feed it and put it in the fridge? its 1 am here in israel!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
If it floats its ready to use.   If not using now, pour 1/2 out on a piece of foil and let dry at room temps.  You'll use this to make a new starter in the future.  Feed the other half, close the lid and put it in the fridge.

Pizza01

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:55 PM »
it floated half hour ago, now its sink  ???

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
it floated half hour ago, now its sink  ???

Thats okay.  Thats normal.  Michael just to be on the safe side.  Split it into 2 jars.  Feed 1 and refrigerate.  Feed the 2nd one and leave it out.  Forget the foil for now.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:27:33 PM by Jackie Tran »

Pizza01

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
ok,
i splited it into2 jar i fed 1 and refrigerated it.

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:57 PM »
Once it floats, I use it within 30-60 minutes, I don't care what the little test piece did during that time :).  Make bread, pizza, whatever  :chef:

I ran a single 350g pie through the calculator using 66% hydration (AT), 2.5% salt, .5% IDY and 30% Preferment to make a dough once it floated this afternoon at 4:30pm.  I did 25m rest after adding the preferment and 75% of the flour.  After the rest, I added the remaining flour and IDY, then let rise/proof uncovered in a lightly oiled-plastic lined glass bowl with the lid snapped shut.  It's now, 8:17 and I plan on firing it off at 9pm....will post pics :)

My house is currently running 75o with an elevated humidity.

Mark

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
All thanks to Chau  :chef:

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Awhh thanks Mark, but I can't take all the credit.  Let's call it a team effort.  ;) 

Michael, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of fun learning how to use your new starter.  Again there are many different methods for using and maintaining your new starter.  My methods are just what works for me.  You'll find your own schedule soon after using it awhile.  I've hogged up enough of this thread.   I'll leave it up to you to do some more reading and learning on your own.   Please keep posting your questions and hopefully other members like Mark can jump in.
If you get stuck and not getting the answers you need, feel free to PM me.

Good luck,
Chau

Pizza01

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
 :)
thank you for all your help chau.i will do that.

mark i will love to taste a slice from this pie, it look very special.

thanks for posting your procces.

somthing about my starter bother me, after yesterday i expected to be even more active but it doesent.
i splited into 2 jar fed them and puted one on the counter and one in the fridge, today i fed the one thats in the fridge one more time  and let it sleep in the fridge but unestly i dont know if they will get active when i let them out into room temperature.
but i am optimistic, if we got here we will be just fine :).
what i dont know and chau mention that is why the starters take so long time to get active 10-12 days.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:25:16 PM by msheetrit »

Pizza01

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:02 PM »
 ;D ok so now i can say that i have success in my hands.
i know me and i knew i want rest until i will see it on full active.
acorrding to slice recipe it come to the end of day 11 yesterday night, and right on time at the end of day 11 just like in the recipe it started to be active with no return back, so i fed yesterday night and fed it after 10 hours today this morning,  after 10 hours fed it again and marked the level of it with scoth tape on 7 pm.
then, boom ! it strated! after 2 hours exactly it rised within 2 inches!
it floated like a boat!
it was bubbly and really alive.
if i left it on the counter it would be all over the counter :)
for 2 days i fed it with bread flour,  also i took out the one that i stored in the fridge tow days ago and fed it yesterday also because theres still activity there, now its ready to stay there until i will learn how to use it.
i have tow jars of staters: one thats fed with ap and one thats fed with bread flour.
photo 1+2 activated starters
photo 3 the floating
photo 5 the starter that i stored in the fridge after tow days, still theres activity.
i want to thank chau for all his help here and general. i want to thank mark also, thank you very much guys ;D.
we did it!!!
now i need to learn how to use it and more stuff.

Pizza01

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
i almost forgot about member forum plainslicer who posted
the method that worked for me from three i started with from slice http://slice.seriouseats.com/sourdough/?ref=skybox3.
you were right this method doesent waste flour at all.
soon i will try from raisens and every thing but for now i am just happy it worked out for me.
and again chau thank you  ;D

pizzapan