Author Topic: Screamin' Mimi's Pizza and Sub's - Savannah, Ga  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Screamin' Mimi's Pizza and Sub's - Savannah, Ga
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
http://www.screaminmimispizza.com/

I wanted to sample a Jersey style pizza and this looked like a good place.  They had a letter from Stanislaus' president and co-owner, Tom Cortopassi, taped to the inside of the front window.  It was a congratulations for the publicity that Screamin Mimi's had received in the August 2010 issue of Pizza Today.  See page 22 here : http://www.pizzatoday.com/IMags/Piz1008/pageflip.html  The last sentence of the letter wished owner Lou Cabello continued success and "tutte buone cose" (all good things)

I walked in and they had a couple 18" cheese pizza's on a rack, they didn't look exceptionally fresh.  I had two choices, order by the slice or order an entire 18" pizza.  I really wanted to start with a fresh base for the toppings, but what the hell.  The family is from New Jersey, surely any way they would present the end product would be authentic.  I chose a veggie slice and a something else slice.  As the pizza guy took 2 slices off of the display, doctored them with my requested toppings and threw them back into the oven, I started a small reconnaissance mission on how they made the dough.

They make dough in the morning for use late in the evening and for the following day.  All Trumps and fresh (cake) yeast are used.  They are proofed in dough boxes in the cooler and the dough balls are huge for the 18" pizzas.  He wouldn't tell me the weight of the dough balls or the temp. of the deck oven.  However I did time the bake at 11 minutes.  Each 18" pizza is cut into 8 slices.

Two more customers walked in and each ordered two slices.  There was enough of the display pizza left to have made their order, but I'm guessing that the pizza guy succumbed to their smiles, and thick southern charm, and made them a fresh pizza. :'(  Their fresh pizza pictures here.  My pizza from the oven later.

The second to last picture is of an ominous looking building on the way to the pizza place.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:38:53 PM by Jet_deck »
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Screamin' Mimi's Pizza and Sub's - Savannah, Ga
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
In a few minutes pizza guy retrieved my two slices from the oven.  The veggie; with tomato, red onion and broccoli was a mistake choice on my part.  I love broccoli, but not on my pizza ever again.  After it cooled the smell of broccoli made me get rid of the rest of that slice. I can't fault the slice for my choice of toppings so no big deal.  The second slice was a Hawaiian with ham and mushroom.  It was a good choice.

The plus side for these Jersey style slices, was a micro-thin layer of crisp on the bottom of the slices.  If this was caused by the reheating of the slices w/ toppings, then so be it, it was good.  I really wished that I had a hot slice of cheese straight from the oven.

My taste buds say that either the sauce or the crust was light on salt.  But who am I to judge a Jersey slice?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan