Author Topic: “Real New York Frozen Dough Balls”..from Brooklyn, NY  (Read 21210 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: “Real New York Frozen Dough Balls”..from Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011, 04:06:37 PM »
I called the Cristol Group today and asked about what the best instructions were if I wanted to use the frozen RNYPD for home use or if I wanted to try it in my deck oven.  I was transferred and talked to Sam Cristol. Sam said he remembered getting an email from me the other day and was sorry he didn’t response.  He then explained to me that he only handles accounts in his area and I would need to contact JJ in Brooklyn, NY. I asked Sam since I had tried to use the RNYPD website for the contact feature and never receive a reply from them either, what was going on with that.  He said JJ doesn’t email.  I asked Sam if he ever uses the frozen dough to make pizza and other questions.  He said he does use the frozen dough about once a week and really likes the pizza it produces. Sam said he would email me testimonials from all over the country from people that have tried the RNYPD frozen doughs.  He did then send me the testimonials. Sam gave me JJ’s number.  I talked to JJ for a long while.  I told him I had bought the RNYPD frozen dough at my local supermarket and wanted to try it in my deck oven at market to see if I like how the frozen dough made pizzas. I said after I try the frozen dough and found out if I like it, where would I be able to buy it wholesale. I asked JJ if the dough was frozen fast and he said it was blast frozen in about 20 minutes. We talked for awhile about the best way to defrost this frozen dough.  I found it interesting when we talked about flour prices and what kind of flour I used now, that JJ did tell me what kind of flour or flours they use in the RNYPD frozen dough balls. He said they used General Mills or ConAgra unbromated in their frozen dough balls.  I asked why they use unbromated flours and JJ said because they ship their dough balls all over the country, including California.  I also asked about how long the dough balls could last if kept just in the refrigerator.  Another thing I found interesting is that JJ told me they also produce all the bagels and Bialys for http://www.bialy.com/bagels/bagels.htm
I asked JJ who uses all these frozen dough balls and he said many pizzerias in Brooklyn do use their frozen dough balls.  JJ said he makes all his pizzas with the frozen dough balls too.  I told JJ since the dough balls I bought were only 16 oz. how that would be to try and make a 16" pizza which I sell.  He said they can make any size dough balls and he would recommended 20 oz. dough balls for a 16" pizza.  When we were talking about flours he said the cost of each frozen dough ball for a 16" pizza would cost about 1.25 for each dough ball.  He said that would save a lot of time and labor using the RNYPD frozen dough balls.  

JJ was also a really nice man to talk to and I found it fascinating to talk about frozen doughs.  JJ said I could call him at any time to talk about their doughs.  JJ said their RNYPD frozen dough are very easy to open and are elastic.  From when I worked on the Ultra-Thin thread with Peter, I find it interesting how many places or people use frozen doughs or crusts.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:11:23 PM by norma427 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
Norma,

How did JJ tell you to defrost the frozen dough balls, and how long do they keep in the refrigerator?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
Norma,

How did JJ tell you to defrost the frozen dough balls, and how long do they keep in the refrigerator?

Peter

Peter,

JJ told me to told me to take the frozen dough ball out of the freezer and left it defrost for 40 minutes (at room temperature), then coat the dough ball with oil and left it proof in the refrigerator at least for a day.  JJ said it could be used after a day. I asked how long the dough would last in the refrigerator.  He said it should last for 3 days.  I then asked him if the dough is left to cold temperature ferment (proof) for the longer amount of time, then would the crust taste better from the longer fermentation time.  JJ said yes the crust would taste much better after the longer cold ferment time.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
The last RNYPD frozen dough ball was taken out of the freezer yesterday around noontime..  I left the frozen dough ball in a plastic ziplock bag for 50 minutes to start to thaw.  Since it was warm in our area yesterday, and I was baking in the oven, the ambient room temperature was about 84 degrees F.  The dough ball started to defrost on the bottom and top of the dough ball.  It was slightly soft on the top and bottom, but was still frozen in the middle of the dough ball.  Then I highly greased the dough ball and placed it into the refrigerator in a plastic container.  

A little while ago I removed the plastic lid on the container and checked on the RNYPD dough ball.  While it is soft on the bottom, it feels leathery on the top.  I think it can be seen in the one picture how leathery the dough ball is on the top of the dough ball.  Now I can’t decide whether to flip the dough ball over to see if the top of the dough ball might get softer.  So far this RNYPD dough ball hasn’t fermented much.

I would like to get the bests results possible, tomorrow when I bake this RNYPD dough ball into a pizza.

Pictures of top and bottom of RNYPD dough ball.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »
If anyone is interested in the RNYPD frozen dough balls from the Texas area, Sam Cristol sent me an email today saying the regular and whole wheat RNYPD frozen dough balls can be purchased at Central Market.

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
I look forward to the pizza you make with it.
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
I look forward to the pizza you make with it.

Bill,

I will see today how the dough acts and the final pizza crust tastes.  I decided to flip the dough yesterday, because the top seemed too dry.  I should have given this dough a 3 day cold ferment, (after the dough ball was unthawed) but I was worried about if the dough would go that long.  It is supposed to be really warm in our area today, so market will be hot.  I will let the dough ball out until I think it might be ready to be used. I will see if this frozen dough is anything like the frozen dough you tried before.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
The RNYPD dough ball was left at the ambient room temperature of about 84 degrees for 6 hrs. at market today.  It still wasn’t fermenting very much, so I placed it on top of a container on top of the oven again for another two hours.  It fermented a little.  I did flip the dough again, because the edges looked drier again, too.  This was after I even oiled the dough ball heavily.  The pizza was made in the late afternoon.  Steve opened the dough ball and it was easy to open.  The pizza baked something like a NY street-style pizza and also tasted like one.  The taste of the crust was good, but not as good as other doughs I have left cold and room temperature ferment as long as the RNYPD dough ball.  I still don’t understand why this dough ball didn’t ferment more.  I gave it almost every chance to ferment more.  When Steve and I smelled the dough ball, it didn’t smell like it had much yeast and almost just smelled like flour.  The final pizza was good, but I still don’t understand how a regular person that doesn’t make dough all the time, would have the same results.  It even looked like a NY street-style pizza.  It can be seen on the one picture of the opened skin, how dry the edges were, on the one side. This didn’t hurt the bake though.  

Pictures below,

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2011, 10:04:05 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Norma,

Those look fantastic! You turned that dough into a perfect Pizza as always!

I will say,from all the info you provided,those dough balls are not as active as the Primo Gusto frozen doughballs I bought from GFS stores.

I have experimented with over 40 frozen doughballs,and YES,a few were sort of dead.Did not want to do anything much.Maybe thats what happened to yours when it did not ferment nor respond as well.Tough to say.Yet you still did such a great job anyways,even if it lacked a little more ferment/flavor you were looking for.

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
Norma,

Those look fantastic! You turned that dough into a perfect Pizza as always!

I will say,from all the info you provided,those dough balls are not as active as the Primo Gusto frozen doughballs I bought from GFS stores.

I have experimented with over 40 frozen doughballs,and YES,a few were sort of dead.Did not want to do anything much.Maybe thats what happened to yours when it did not ferment nor respond as well.Tough to say.Yet you still did such a great job anyways,even if it lacked a little more ferment/flavor you were looking for.

Bill,

Thanks for thinking the pizza looked okay.  :)  I don’t always make a perfect pizza.  I had my share of failures along the way.   :-D  That is the way we all learn here on the forum.

I also wonder why these RNYPD frozen dough balls aren’t as active as the Primo Gusto frozen dough balls you tried before.  I would have thought they would ferment much faster.  Either the frozen dough balls I was experimenting with don’t have a lot of yeast or I didn’t handle them properly.  Maybe somehow my dough balls were almost dead.  I really don’t know. 

To me, this crust tasted like some NY street-style pizzas I have tried in the past, when I visited NY. 

Norma