Author Topic: Trying to get some answers  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Trying to get some answers
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
You should let the flavor develop through fermentation.  I add various spices and herbs to my dough, and none of them have any real effect on the taste.  They affect the appearance, but all of the flavor is developed by the fermentation alone.

Offline Pedro72

• The truth shall set you free.
Re: Trying to get some answers
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »
I've had great success using the Lehmann dough calculator that you can find on this site. I use Harvest bread flour from Costco, kosher salt, Red Star active dry yeast, and water...that's it. I use my digital scale, and I do a 65% hydration, .75% ADY, 2% salt, no sugar, no oil. I make 400 gram dough balls, let them cold rise for at least 24 hours, then they're ready to be made into a 13-14 inch pie. The 65% hydration might be a little too much for what you're looking for, but all my friends and fam agree with me that those percentages make a great dough, with good chew in the crust. Start simple, and you may find that you don't want to add anything like garlic salt or pizza flavor.
Chewed to death on the Left by a pack of rabid wolves with silver eyes....or ending up with the Brooks Brothers Right scrabbling in the dirt.